2005 C4 petrol

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xander
My Cars: 2005 Citroen C4 petrol

2005 C4 petrol

Post by Xander »

It's about -12 celsius outside and my car wont start. First two times it worked with jump start. Next day it would not start again and jump start doesn't help. The ignition came on for about 2 seconds and then it only lighted up "economy mode".
I gave it a new batteri - did'nt help, the old battery also had 12,2 V...
I put on extra grounding from engine to body - then I got the egnition to light up but totally silence on the starter - no cranking.
I tried jum start again with extra ground and new battery - then the ignition only lighted up for 2 seconds again and it says "economy mode" again.
I took off jump start.Took on and off plus-cable - and ignition lights up again but silence starter...

I'm out if ideas... Mice-attack on cables? Haven't seen signs of that... Start-block off some kind? Transponder in key? Tried the other key...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: 2005 C4 petrol

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Are you sure you starter motor hasn't failed? If the battery is weak you should at least hear it trying to start before dying if it is the battery, but if the battery is good and you have tried with jump leads, then your starter motor may be dead. Sometimes tapping it with a hammer on the side of the starter casing can resolve it. If this is the case, amd it starts afterwards, then it's time to repair / replace the starter motor. It may take a few tries, but may be enough to get it working temporary or for a few more goes.

As the brushes in the starter wear down, they stop making electrical contact. Tapping the casing can sometimes knock the brushes back into place. But if this is the case it needs attention as it won't always work.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Xander
My Cars: 2005 Citroen C4 petrol

Re: 2005 C4 petrol

Post by Xander »

Today it was back to dark instrumentpanel just the "economy mode" light. If I turn the key back an forth many times the instrumentpanel can suddenly light up for 2 seconds then dissapear. It's some serious electric failure. All the big fuse's under the hood by the batteri are ok, all the big fuse's inside underside of dashboard are ok. The few times the instrumentpanel lights up there's not even a sigle click when I turn the key for start. Total silence. Batteri has 12,2 V
I'm selling it as rep-object. It isn't worth a visit to the workshop