Trying to keep an aged C8 alive - First time with Lexia Diag!

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aea_s
My Cars:

Trying to keep an aged C8 alive - First time with Lexia Diag!

Post by aea_s »

Hi all,

(now edited to include forum-hosted images - thanks chaps!)

This is my first foray with Lexia - thanks to a very kind local forum member who has kindly lent me his own kit, so that I could have a look at what is happening to our 2006 2.2Hdi C8. MASSIVE thanks to him, for starters!

Our C8 has been in my care for the last 75k miles of it's 150k-ish miles and it has been quite a family workhorse, lugging my our family of six dutifully about the place but now it's starting to require a bit of additional 'clout' to keep her going. I've done the clutch, D/M flywheel, clutch slave cyl, timing belt, water pump and a few other bits and pieces. Filled the eolys too. Here she is ...
C8 family bus in question, on a very cold night!
C8 family bus in question, on a very cold night!
More recently, on longer runs, it has been going into limp mode (like the turbo no-longer blows) and a warning 'Depollution System Faulty' appears on the central console display. If I pull over and shut the engine off, let the canbus re-set (listen for the last relay to click off above the noise of 'Ah dad, why do we have to wait again?' and grumblings from the missus! Re-start and it goes back to normal for a while. It's been doing this for the last few months and I had also been re-setting the permanent DTCs via a cheap KONNWEI KW850 OBDII Diagnostic Scanner... which I now understand is really not the proper tool for the job. Owing to losing my job during the first coronavirus lockdown, my focus has had to be elsewhere - trying to find some income, rather than shelling it out on the old beast.

The good news is that after a bit of O/S sill fabrication and welding (more on that another time), she did sail through the MoT again and so I'm keen (financially keen too ;-) .. to keep her going for as long as we can.

This is where I'm asking for a bit of help - please!

The engine light is now on permanently and although the car seems to start and drive fairly normally, it would be great if someone could be kind and point me in the right direction with the DTC codes I've now extracted. Must say that Lexia-Diagbox is clearly quite a clever bit of kit, especially when you consider when it must have been compiled. Would love to have my own version of it at some point.

So, here goes - any pointers much appreciated please - thanks in advance.

Here is the response from the Global test
BSI Global Test C8
BSI Global Test C8
Here are the ignition/injection codes
Injection Fault Codes
Injection Fault Codes
And one that might be driving the Depollution system faulty notification??
P1404 preheating
P1404 preheating
or could it be time to notify the fill (I didn't do this when I filled the eolys tank with more fluid)
ADDGO3 Fuel Injection
ADDGO3 Fuel Injection
(Recent edit 02/02/2021)
Also seems to have a fuel filler cap sensor - now not reading correctly. Expect it can't work out how many times the tank has been filled as a result. Gather this affects the Eolys dosing.
Diesel Additive - fault with filler cap sensor
Diesel Additive - fault with filler cap sensor
Got a comms error with the cabin heater this winter too - bit of a pain when it is very cold but this is not the priority at the moment, it'll have to wait for now!
Additional cabin heater comms error
Additional cabin heater comms error
If there is anything specific that would be useful to know/see, please let me know and I'll pop another image up.

Hearty thanks in advance,

Landyandy
Attachments
Fuel Filler Cap Presence Sensor
Fuel Filler Cap Presence Sensor
Last edited by aea_s on 02 Feb 2021, 18:47, edited 2 times in total.
Andrew/Drew
2013 Nissan Leaf
2008 Electric Vectrix (2 wheels!)
2006 C8 Exclusive
1994 BMW F650
1964 SIIA SWB 2.25D Landy - cherished but used
1953 Ferguson TE207
Making tin cans;
2003 Renault RX4
1999 Xsara 1.9 D LX
1998 Xsara 1.9 TD Exclusive 260k miles
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Trying to keep an aged C8 alive - First time with Lexia Diag!

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Andrew, please edit your post and attach your images directly by uploading them as attachments using the full editor - there's no need to use an external image hosting site - as these often don't work if the coding isn't correct.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
aea_s
My Cars:

Post by aea_s »

Hi Marc,
I did look for 'add attachment' and couldn't see it last night when constructing the post so that's why I resorted to an external image hosting site. Oddly, the 'preview post' displayed everything correctly but then the submitted version - as you have seen - failed to work. I'll do as you suggest and edit it when I'm back on the PC as it was getting a bit late last night!

Thanks for quick reply ... and I thought I was up late ;-)

Andrew
Andrew/Drew
2013 Nissan Leaf
2006 C8 Exclusive
1994 BMW F650
1953 Ferguson TE207
Making tin cans;
2003 Renault RX4
1999 Xsara 1.9 D LX
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Just in case, Andrew, the attachments option is in the "Full Editor and Preview" section. The button for this is just under the "Quick Reply" window where I am currently typing this. Then there is an "Attachments" tab, with an "Add files" button.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

aea_s wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 07:27 Hi Marc,
I did look for 'add attachment' and couldn't see it last night when constructing the post so that's why I resorted to an external image hosting site. Oddly, the 'preview post' displayed everything correctly but then the submitted version - as you have seen - failed to work. I'll do as you suggest and edit it when I'm back on the PC as it was getting a bit late last night!

Thanks for quick reply ... and I thought I was up late ;-)

Andrew
No worries, once you've added the attachments, just use the 'Place' button next to the uploaded images to put the image where you want it within the context of your post.

One of the benefits of uploading your pictures directly is that our servers host the images, so if you closed your external hosting image account or they went down / ceased to exist, your images in your post would not disappear. A good example is Photobucket - who shot themselves in the foot when they decided to make people pay for third party image hosting and hijacked everybody's images overnight! That worked out well - not!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
aea_s
My Cars:

Post by aea_s »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 08:23 Just in case, Andrew, the attachments option is in the "Full Editor and Preview" section. The button for this is just under the "Quick Reply" window where I am currently typing this. Then there is an "Attachments" tab, with an "Add files" button.
Hi James,

Thanks for the advice, duly noted! I think I've got the hang of it now though suggestions are always very welcome if it's still not quite right!!

Original post now edited to include FCF hosted images. Brillo-pad!
Thanks again

Andrew
Andrew/Drew
2013 Nissan Leaf
2006 C8 Exclusive
1994 BMW F650
1953 Ferguson TE207
Making tin cans;
2003 Renault RX4
1999 Xsara 1.9 D LX
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Hi Andrew,
Your "additional heating" fault may apply to the Eberspacher diesel heater some times fitted to cold climate models - you may not have it on your vehicle, hence the "fault" :wink:
It warms up the engine only.
On my Xantia it is tucked under the nearside front wheel arch and the exhaust pipe can be seen poking out without too much trouble. HTH
Regards
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
aea_s
My Cars:

Post by aea_s »

harryp wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 18:15 Hi Andrew,
Your "additional heating" fault may apply to the Eberspacher diesel heater some times fitted to cold climate models - you may not have it on your vehicle, hence the "fault" :wink:
On my Xantia it is tucked under the nearside front wheel arch and the exhaust pipe can be seen poking out without too much trouble. HTH
Regards
Hi Harry,

Thanks for your response! I think most C8s are fitted with the Eberspächer diesel heater - mine certainly is. It's fitted to the underside of the floor, left of the exhaust, in the centre of the vehicle. It used to work a treat, and would fire-up on cold mornings (below 5*C) to heat the coolant quickly and in turn, heat the heater matrix and warm the cabin. The 2.2Hdi engines don't warm up very quickly as they're fairly efficient, so don't waste a lot of the the burnt diesel's heat to the block and coolant. When working, the Eberspächer gives about 3kW of heat almost instantly which is handy when you need to defrost the car quickly. You can usually tell they're running as they sound like a small whirring turbo.

This is the first winter when our heater hasn't worked correctly - clearly it has lost comms with the BSI for some reason. I've also heard that the unit's glow-plug can pack-up, perhaps not surprising after 15 years' service. I haven't looked at it yet as, for me, it's not on the 'critical' list! 'Comfort' list perhaps! For now, I've got to concentrate efforts on understanding and rectifying the other issues first ;-)

Andrew
Andrew/Drew
2013 Nissan Leaf
2006 C8 Exclusive
1994 BMW F650
1953 Ferguson TE207
Making tin cans;
2003 Renault RX4
1999 Xsara 1.9 D LX
aea_s
My Cars:

Post by aea_s »

Hi All,

I appreciate my first message was rather long and didn't work quite right to start with! Thanks to Marc and James for the pointers :-)

The issues I'd like to understand to start with are the fault codes for the injection section of the BSI report in Lexia - this section;
Fault codes for C8 2.2HDi injection system
Fault codes for C8 2.2HDi injection system
These codes - bold items of particular interest;

P1521 - Clutch switch signal
P1607 - Accelerator pedal stiff point signal
P1404 - 2 additional heating and preheating circuit
P1435 - Fuel additive system
P0100 - Fault flowmeter signal - think I may have cured this one by cleaning the MAF on the intake, it was lightly contaminated with engine oil residue
P0245 - Turbo pressure fault

Is there a manual for these codes that can be referenced somewhere? I've had a bit of a look but can't find anything specific to Citroen.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
Andrew/Drew
2013 Nissan Leaf
2006 C8 Exclusive
1994 BMW F650
1953 Ferguson TE207
Making tin cans;
2003 Renault RX4
1999 Xsara 1.9 D LX
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Try clicking on the "+" sign to the left of each error code for much more of a break down of the fault.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
aea_s
My Cars:

Post by aea_s »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 11:28 Try clicking on the "+" sign to the left of each error code for much more of a break down of the fault.
Hi James,

Yes, I've been through all the '+' signs, expanding each section. The advice provided by Lexia doesn't always expand to include something that would clearly explain the fault code registered. It seems to me that it's one of those systems you need some experience with - and know how the codes relate to the actual faults on the specific vehicle.

Expanding the P1404 - 2 additional heating and preheating circuit + sign just gives this...
P1404 fault code expansion on Lexia (Citroen C8)
P1404 fault code expansion on Lexia (Citroen C8)
'Faulty circuit' doesn't seem that helpful to me - it could be a number of things from the glowplug relay to the glowplugs themselves? Either that or am I missing a trick?

Any input from forum members is very gratefully received - thanks!

Andrew
Andrew/Drew
2013 Nissan Leaf
2006 C8 Exclusive
1994 BMW F650
1953 Ferguson TE207
Making tin cans;
2003 Renault RX4
1999 Xsara 1.9 D LX
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi Andrew,

I didn't know if you had done that, which is why I mentioned it (I know that sometimes people have not been aware of the extra 'level' provided).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
aea_s
My Cars:

Post by aea_s »

Hi all,

I just wonder if anyone has any further thoughts on this fault (or any of the others above) before I try and dive into this again - forewarned is forearmed and all that! ;-)
20210115_220338 (Medium).jpg
Is this P1404 'Faulty Circuit' likely to be perhaps on or more failed glowplugs? They look like they're pretty horrendous to get access to so that may prove an interesting challenge. Thankfully it still starts well - even in the -6*C cold snap we had last month.

Thanks in advance

Andrew
Andrew/Drew
2013 Nissan Leaf
2006 C8 Exclusive
1994 BMW F650
1953 Ferguson TE207
Making tin cans;
2003 Renault RX4
1999 Xsara 1.9 D LX
aea_s
My Cars:

Post by aea_s »

A good crawl around under our aging C8 revealed the fault with the Eberspächer - it was a simple as the main electrical connector had pulled apart slightly! Looked like it was connected but in fact it had separated just enough to lose communication with the BSI. No idea why it came apart like that but now it is working again, I'm happy. Simple things ;-)

aea_s wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 10:18
harryp wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 18:15 Hi Andrew,
Regards
Hi Harry,

Thanks for your response! I think most C8s are fitted with the Eberspächer diesel heater - mine certainly is. It's fitted to the underside of the floor, left of the exhaust, in the centre of the vehicle. It used to work a treat, and would fire-up on cold mornings (below 5*C) to heat the coolant quickly and in turn, heat the heater matrix and warm the cabin. The 2.2Hdi engines don't warm up very quickly as they're fairly efficient, so don't waste a lot of the the burnt diesel's heat to the block and coolant. When working, the Eberspächer gives about 3kW of heat almost instantly which is handy when you need to defrost the car quickly. You can usually tell they're running as they sound like a small whirring turbo.

This is the first winter when our heater hasn't worked correctly - clearly it has lost comms with the BSI for some reason. I've also heard that the unit's glow-plug can pack-up, perhaps not surprising after 15 years' service. I haven't looked at it yet as, for me, it's not on the 'critical' list! 'Comfort' list perhaps! For now, I've got to concentrate efforts on understanding and rectifying the other issues first ;-)

Andrew
Andrew/Drew
2013 Nissan Leaf
2006 C8 Exclusive
1994 BMW F650
1953 Ferguson TE207
Making tin cans;
2003 Renault RX4
1999 Xsara 1.9 D LX
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well done. It might be worth spraying some proper contact clean into the plug/socket and then unplug and plug them in a few times. That should deal with any dirt that might have got in.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+