C2 instrument problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroenC2
My Cars: C2 1.1 2005

C2 instrument problems

Post by CitroenC2 »

Hi there

I need help with my car, the problem is
The rev, speedo and fuel gauge are not working
On top of that there are dash lights permanently on the dash such as handbrake light, airbag, engine light etc

The car starts as usual. I have disconnected the battery with no success.

The RAC came out and scanned it and it shows
- multifunctional screen control unit, communication faulty
- Dashboard control unit, communication faulty
- Absence of communication between BSI and the ECUs of comfort VAN

Also the last owner changed the radio to aftermarket stereo so I don’t know if that caused the issues. I only had the car for 3 days.
Attachments
50D6812B-4BFD-41BD-A791-2C4A865E300E.jpeg
6C5C65A8-111E-498A-8229-8F826BF92F60.jpeg
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: C2 instrument problems

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and :welc: to the forum.

While I cannot offer you any direct advice, one thing that will help if if you were to post the vehicle VIN here. It will, for security reasons, be automatically obscured so only forum staff can read it (I am NOT forum staff). Then they can give you information for YOUR vehicle.

This is an example of the security software at work. VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

The fact that the car has an aftermarket radio is VERY telling. The radios fitted to PSA vehicles make up parts of the electronics of the car, and without it problems CAN occur. The forum staff can let you know exactly WHAT radio was fitted when she rolled out of the factory, so you can see about getting an identical one (although this may need configuring), should you decide to do this (and if it is needed to get things working properly).
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 31 Jan 2021, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroenC2

Post by CitroenC2 »

Hi thank you for your reply, I will try to find the VIN number and share it if it will help
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It will be on the V5 logbook, and in a few places on the car (such as a little viewing window in the lower black surround of the windscreen, stamped into the bonnet shut on one wing, and (possibly) on a metal plate on the floor under the rear seats.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

An aftermarket radio (if fitted incorrectly) can cause all sorts of electrical faults. First thing I would do is disconnect it. Also very often when people are (incorrectly) fitting car stereos they pop fuses, i’d bet the fuse has popped for the VAN+ supply.
There is absolutely no problem having any aftermarket radio in this car (if you dont mind losing some functions like steering controls & sation display) as long as it is fitted correctly.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Double check fuse 15 in the interior fusebox/BSI

PS: This car was originally fitted with an RB2 Cassette deck so I imagine you wont want to revert back to original :-D
CitroenC2

Post by CitroenC2 »

Definitely not, am happy with the aftermarket stereo but if it is the source of the problem, I would take it out.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The stereo wont be the source of the problem however the person that fitted it may be.
Like i said disconnect it initially to rule out its installation as the problem.
ozvtr
My Cars: Citroen C2 VTR
Citroen C3 SX
Citroen C3 in bits

Post by ozvtr »

Your C2 runs 2 types of networks. CAN (controller area network) and VAN (vehicle area network). CAN is by BOSCH and is popular in nowadays but VAN was a proprietary network architecture used by PSA.
Later C2's (post 2005) used all CAN networks.
There is only one CAN BUS in your car but multiple VAN BUSes! I can not remember if the dash is on the 'comfort' VAN or not. The radio definitely is, so the scanner is saying the BSI (the 'brains' of the car) cant talk to things that should be on the comfort VAN (like the radio).
Well we know why...the radio it's looking for is not there.
A lot of modern radios have a CAN BUS interface to make them better integrate into modern cars and "talk" to other ECU's. BUT VAN BUS and CAN BUS are not compatible. IF the radio has been connected to the VAN BUS on purpose or by accident...that could possibly stuff up things on the VAN network!
I would assume your car is a 'simple' model (no disrespect). That is; no climate control, no alarm, no reversing sensors ETC? As you haven't mentioned if they work or not. They are also on the VAN network.
I would recommend; closing all the doors and windows (DON'T LOCK THE CAR), prop the bonnet up, flip the rear window wiper arm out (off the glass). Wait 60 seconds, disconnect the battery. Remove the radio, close all the doors. Reconnect the battery, wait 60 seconds, flip the wiper back. Get in the car, turn the ignition to on and check your dash.
I have seen plenty of incidences where removing the radio causes the central locking to not work but I have not seen it interfere with the dash before.
But try that, you have nothing to loose. Let us know how you get on.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Im curious, why lift the wiper arm up off the rear screen?
The instrument panel is on the comfort VAN.

I agree the usual faults caused by an incorrectly fitted aftermarket radio are central locking faults & issues with the multifunction display above the radio. I still wouldn’t rule it out though as all 3 are on the comfort VAN.
ozvtr
My Cars: Citroen C2 VTR
Citroen C3 SX
Citroen C3 in bits

Post by ozvtr »

wheeler wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 14:20 Im curious, why lift the wiper arm up off the rear screen?
I have found that when you re-connect the battery, for some reason, the rear wiper tends to run for a few seconds. It's just to avoid the potential of scratching up the glass unnecessarily.
wheeler wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 14:20 The instrument panel is on the comfort VAN.

I agree the usual faults caused by an incorrectly fitted aftermarket radio are central locking faults & issues with the multifunction display above the radio. I still wouldn’t rule it out though as all 3 are on the comfort VAN.
Yes, but it's not sounding good is it? Depends on what CitroenC2 comes back with. I think the probability of the radio being connected to the VAN BUS is low. But we don't know how the radio has been connected to the car. They haven't mentioned any other faults but that doesn't mean there aren't any other faults...they just haven't mentioned them.
If the radio is screwing up the comfort VAN, is the central locking and the center screen working? If the screen and central locking are not working and removing the radio doesn't fix it, could that be the the VAN driver in the BSI?
If the radio is not screwing up the comfort VAN and every thing else is working, then the dash is faulty?
Lets just hope removing the radio fixes every thing. :-D