Classic for under £10K

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Classic for under £10K

Post by bobins »

If only I could think of someone suitable for this numberplate they've got for sale :lol:
GIB 80
GIB 80
https://mathewsons.co.uk/auctions/aucti ... 3500-se-24

If it goes for the estimate price, this MX5 looks OK. A few rust bubbles on the wing, and just have to hope the front chassis rails are OK.
Hairdryer
Hairdryer
https://mathewsons.co.uk/auctions/aucti ... -mazda-mx5
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

And here's the car that would fit nicely on that number plate!! :-D

https://mathewsons.co.uk/auctions/aucti ... er-maestro

Last edited by mickthemaverick on 31 Jan 2021, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 14:44 In view of a recent discussion on OTCL I thought this might be of interest coming up next weekend: :-D

https://mathewsons.co.uk/auctions/aucti ... -limousine
Give them the video Mick! Vimeo's embed just like youtube.

Free beaded seat covers, shame they didn't start up the 2-stroke for the vid.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 14:44 In view of a recent discussion on OTCL I thought this might be of interest coming up next weekend: :-D

https://mathewsons.co.uk/auctions/aucti ... -limousine
I'm surprised to see the words 'Wartburg' and 'Limousine' used in the same sentence :lol:

That is a lovely example though... I always remember them being very smoky...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

CitroJim wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 17:35
They are 2 stroke don't forget Jim!! :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 17:39
CitroJim wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 17:35
They are 2 stroke don't forget Jim!! :-D
Oh, I know :D A lovely turbine-smooth triple very similar to those fitted to the 2-stroke Saabs...

I often wondered if the Wartburg engine was a ripoff of the Saab engine? Back in the day the Soviet-bloc were not above such things...

I never recall the 2-stroke Saab being quite as smoky...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Interestingly Jim it looks like it was the other way round:

But, in order to understand the existence of the Wartburg automobile, you first have to realize that when the war ended, two of Germany’s major auto manufacturing companies were “trapped” in Communist-controlled East Germany, where their prospects would be poor.

Auto Union (makers of Audi, DKW, Horch and Wanderer) and BMW found new life–with new factories–in West Germany, but of course their old, now-abandoned factories remained in the East. Even if the Commies weren’t inventive, they were at least resourceful, and they re-started production in those old factories. They began manufacturing EMW sedans, which were essentially identical to the pre-war BMWs that had originally been built there. Even the logo was identical to the old BMW badge, albeit with one different letter on it, and with red enamel, rather than blue on the badge.

If you parked an EMW next to a pre-war BMW, you would have been hard-pressed to be able to tell them apart–until you looked at the badges.

In the old Audi factory, the Commies built the IFA, which was identical to the 1939 DKW, including its somewhat unique 3-cylinder, 2-cycle engine. Later (circa 1960), the IFA was given updated bodywork, and was renamed as the Wartburg. Interestingly, the Wartburg name had been used early in the 20th century by a car company that later evolved into BMW.

If you think that only the Commies continued building old pre-war 2-cycle cars, an interesting bit of trivia is that production of the old-design DKW was resumed in West Germany in 1960, and it was built by Mercedes-Benz! If you parked one of the Mercedes-made DKWs next to one of the communist-made IFAs, you would likely not have been able to tell them apart unless you looked closely at the badges.

And, related to all of this is the creation of Sweden’s Saab automobile. The original Saab had an engine that was essentially copied from that of the old pre-war DKW, so I think it would be fair to say that even though we now view that 2-cycle design as primitive, it actually had a fairly long production run, albeit under several brand names!

In 1957, the commies restarted production in the old Horch factory, but because Horch was a super-luxury brand (and was actually the preferred parade car of the Nazis, rather than the Mercedes), Horch had no place in “the people’s paradise”. So, the car manufactured in the old Horch factory was the P50, later renamed as the Trabant (which means “satellite”). Under the paper/plastic skin, the mechanics of the Trabant were very similar to pre-war DKW designs.

So every day's a schoolday!! :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh, thanks for that Mick :D I truly have learned a bit of history this evening :D
Jim

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I had expected a comment regarding my earlier post which I now feel may have been missed? :wink: :-D

viewtopic.php?p=674132#p674132
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 15:19 I might end up joining the burgundy with shiny ears club!! :-D

https://mathewsons.co.uk/auctions/aucti ... n-4-0-auto
Didn't spot it Mick, Yes that should get you in Mick!

Young Matthewson's favourite phrase "Not a bad old", closely followed by "seems OK" :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

mickthemaverick wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 19:40 I had expected a comment regarding my earlier post which I now feel may have been missed? :wink: :-D

viewtopic.php?p=674132#p674132

Taken as a whole, encompassing everything from design, to manufacture, to running, to its recycling at end of life, I wonder which of the two 'burgundy beauties' would consume more energy ? Not entirely sure what unit of measurement you'd use ? Unit of CO2 ? Kwh ? Per mile travelled ? Per day of life ? Fag packet calculations or Deep Blue ? And why choose energy as the unit of measurement - why not good old fashioned pollution ? My assumption would be that the Jagwarrrr would lose out due to its 4.0 litre engine and being only semi-recyclable, but the Leaf would lose out due to the extremely international nature of its supply chain. I don't think there'd actually ever be an accurate answer, and sure as hell there'd never be agreement :lol:
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Interestingly I might slightly improve my chances if I go slightly newer with smaller engine but I'd have to get the ears chromed which in itself might offset the gain? :-D

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I recall an episode of Top Gear where they had the then current S Class Mercedes on the program. It had won awards for how 'clean' it was, with a high percentage of recyclable materials (for end of life), as well as good production methods. They also had a current Toyota Prius on the same segment. While this may be a 'clean' car when it is running, the production/disposal is very NOT clean, and it has far fewer recyclable components/materials. Using electricity plants as a comparison, the Prius would be a coal fired generator while the S Class would be a gas fired one (my analogy). Yes, they both cause pollution throughout their life, but (taking everything into account, including the production of their various parts) the Mercedes is a far cleaner vehicle.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Was it Clarkson who caned a Prius around the track then said "Look at that poor MPG, how can that be green ?" or somesuch. Not that that is in any way a valid comparison, but it makes for good Clarkson TV :lol:
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Yes, JC did that, while 'racing' a BMW M series. However, he did, I believe, then say something along the lines that if you drive a Prius vigorously (like it were a normal car) the MPG was bad, but if you drove it economically (with, I think, a "Boring" comment) it returned a high MPG.

Top Gear has, on some occasions, pointed out that some of the 'green' cars return poorer MPG than 'normal' cars when they are all driven sensibly.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!