Xsarra Picasso Desire 2007 Non Functional Key?.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Minuno
My Cars: Xsarra Picasso Desire 2007

Xsarra Picasso Desire 2007 Non Functional Key?.

Post by Minuno »

Hello there can I ask this question please, last weekend my partner asked me to try and find her a Picasso Desire to replace her other one which failed the MOT the day before. Well after a little searching I found a nice one for her at a good price.
Only thing is the push button key that came with it ( came with two keys one programmed with the two buttons and a solid key both of which open the car door and start the car successfully ) doesn’t operate when you press the open and close button on it. It’s broken and doesn’t work.
She needs to have the programmable option and could anyone offer any advice?.
I have noted that when I lock the door with the key manually the red hazard button on the dash is slowly lighting up red on and off?, this happens constantly until the car is open again?. Is this a fault or is it due to not having the programmable key please?. I’m thinking it will drain the battery quickly ?. Any advice appreciated.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Xsarra Picasso Desire 2007 Non Functional Key?.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It does depend on WHAT the problem is. If, for example, the rubber membrane has failed, you could consider buying a replacement 'shell' from ebay for a few quid, and then transfer the membrane over. If, however, the buttons themselves have failed (and you are good with a soldering iron) you can buy a repair kit which will have some new switches. This is such a repair kit;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fits-Citroen ... %3A2334524

I don't, however, know if it the right one for YOUR car (or, rather, your sisters' car).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Minuno

Post by Minuno »

So you think the circuit board could be repaired ? By someone?.
What’s the red light flashing in the car within the hazard warning light. When you shut the door physically with the key in the lock this light comes on and is slowly illuminating constantly on and off.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I don't know about the flashing light in the hazard warning light. I just went for that I knew. I would doubt repair kits would sell if it were not possible to replace the switches.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Minuno

Post by Minuno »

Could I ask how you would proceed to get the confidential key code card for the car please?. It didn’t come with one to get a replacement key done perhaps
?.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You will need to contact a dealership with proof of ownership. They may well charge a fee for this (most do, some don't).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Nobody has mentioned the obvious here but have you tried replacing the battery & confirmed the battery is the right way around?
Have you tried re syncing the remote by switching the ignition on & holding the lock button for 10 seconds then switching off & trying the buttons after 30 seconds?
The red flashing light in the hazzard switch is normal, its just a security deterrent to show the immobiliser is active.
Minuno

Post by Minuno »

Thanks for the assuring me about the red light on the dashboard, my partner thought I’d bought her a faulty car as her 2004 version didn’t have this on her dashboard. I did replace the battery last evening but didn’t try to reset the remote will try that but I doubt it will work. But worth a try
Minuno

Post by Minuno »

Is there any way to programme a new pair of keys myself please if I get access to this code card via a dealer?, I have been quoted £200 for two keys as I haven’t got a working original working programmed
key from a locksmith
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Minuno wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 08:38... I haven’t got a working original working programmed key ...
There are two aspects of programming a key with remote lock/unlock buttons.

The first is pairing the key to the car so that it will start the car from the ignition. For this you need a code reader such Diagbox and the key code that has already been talked about. With these you can pair a brand new key to the car or re-pair a key which has lost its pairing or been deliberately removed from the list of recognised keys (if you've lost it for instance). You cannot pair a key that has been paired to another car; the chip inside is one-time programmable only.

If your key starts the car then it is working. A competent locksmith can make a clone from this.

The second aspect is syncing the buttons to the car so that they lock and unlock it remotely. This does not use Diagbox and is the process is described by Wheeler three posts above. It is completely separate to the pairing process. You can only sync a key that is paired to the car.

It is possible to have a key that will start the car but the unlocking part is broken. Is this the situation you are in? I am a little confused.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Minuno

Post by Minuno »

To Paul R above, yes the key opens the door which inserted into lock and it starts the car no problem. What if doesn’t do is open and shut the doors via pressing either of the buttons.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's simply down to the type of fob you have bought- they are not all of the same frequency type or of equal quality.

The electronics are obviously not compatible. Although the transponder chip has been programmed, the other electronics for the remote functions are separately controlled using a receiver in the car. If it's not receiving the correct frequency the BSI won't authorise the locking / unlocking of the doors.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Minuno

Post by Minuno »

The key is the original as supplied with the car?, the circuit board device isn’t functioning now ?.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Are you sure it is an original Citroen fob or a second hand one that looks original? If you don't know the history, it may of been replaced previously with one that has the issue I described.

If it is an original, then as mentioned somewhere else it may be the microswitches have come loose / unsoldered. This can happen after being dropped on the ground over and over again.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Minuno

Post by Minuno »

Yes true, but I’m thinking it is original it looks well used to be honest the plastic caps are missing from the plastic cover but it would be very bad luck for the previous owners to lose two original keys I’m thinking?. There is a chap on eBay who say he repairs that keypads for £15 and seems to have good feedback from a lot of people whom have sent the circuit boards to him?.

What would you think is it worth a go ?. Board doesn’t work anyways so could jus send the circuit board in the post?.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274383247140