Flaming AX door locks

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jaf
My Cars:

Flaming AX door locks

Post by Jaf »

Parked the AX this evening, no problems locking the doors. A couple of hours later needed to move her to let dad’s ambulance driver get past. Driver’s door wouldn’t unlock. *Weird* thinks I, tried the passenger side but same thing. Wondered if the key’s broken, I get the spare. Same problem. So, I unlocks the boot, removes the parcel shelf and climbs in. Unlocks the passenger rear door and get out, reach into the driver’s door interior handle and snapped the so**ing thing off. Climbed through from the back and moved the car.

I’d just last week changed the driver’s exterior handle. Back to scrappy tomorrow! Spanish MOT next week.

Any ideas as to why the door locks would both decide to do this?!? It’s not cold enough to be frozen and was a sunny day.
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
Jaf
My Cars:

Re: Flaming AX door locks

Post by Jaf »

Both door locks worked again this morning, both outside and inside. Very odd. I can only think that they don’t like the damp. I’ve left the car unlocked. Oh, I’ve glued the interior door handle back on.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oh dear Jaf :twisted:

I'd be looking for some new lock barrels... Mine has them (due to lost keys a while back before my ownership) and I can confirm they're not hard to fit, a bit fiddly and you need long fingers but it's very doable :D

I know as I needed to refit one after the clip fell off...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

How’s about short fingers but small hands? :-D

I’ve just been leaving Gwin unlocked, same as I do with Fred (My Xantia). Left the key in the ignition the other day. Oops.

I might get some proper lock grease and give that a go. Otherwise if I get new locks can I take them apart to change them to fit the old key?

Door handle remains glued together! Amazing.
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Gwin passed her Spanish MOT. Didn’t even get out of the car, no locks/ seat belts interior things checked. Cos of Covid I think.

I can hear a “knacker, knacker’ sometimes going round corners so reckon a cv joint’s on the way out. Didn’t show up on MOT but the whole thing took 10mins so is useless.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Jaf wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 14:25 Gwin passed her Spanish MOT. Didn’t even get out of the car, no locks/ seat belts interior things checked. Cos of Covid I think.
Magic :D That's excellent news!
Jaf wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 14:25 I can hear a “knacker, knacker’ sometimes going round corners so reckon a cv joint’s on the way out. Didn’t show up on MOT
More than likely and it only takes a little wear on an outer CV joint to clonk on corners... Gripping the shaft and trying to rotate it against a firmly braked wheel will reveal the culprit ;)

I got a new driveshaft for my AX from Autodoc and it was a good one... Autodoc are based in Germany so should be good to ship to Spain.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Thanks Jim. I’ve had a look and at those prices it’s not worth messing around with second hand bits.

Next problem...wizzing around, chasing ambulances (literally trying/ failing to catch the GP) and needed fuel. Unfortunately the petrol leaked out almost as fast as it was going in. If Citroen made the pipe an inch longer I could just cut the end off and reattach it. Grrrr!
1AFE8C7F-A17C-4B27-8DE2-DE94E86D4571.jpeg
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Jaf wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 13:15 Thanks Jim. I’ve had a look and at those prices it’s not worth messing around with second hand bits.
My thoughts entirely! And less messy too... There's nothing more horrible than CV joint grease :twisted:
Jaf wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 13:15 Unfortunately the petrol leaked out almost as fast as it was going in. If Citroen made the pipe an inch longer I could just cut the end off and reattach it. Grrrr!
That's shocking! And potentially dangerous too... Did the pipe split?

I'll be keen to see how you go about fixing this..
Jim

Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Well again I’d have expected the MOT fella to have spotted this. The woman putting the petrol in (I love that they still fill your car for you here), stopped and told me. I’ve cut the split end off by a couple of inches and connected it to a bit of rubber pipe with a bit of copper pipe. Took the wheel off for better access...3 wheel bolts!!!

Oddly my Xantia has a split in the same pipe, but being stupid corrugated piping I’ve never managed a decent repair. I replaced the pipe once with a second hand one, but it split in the same place. Glue doesn’t last. Simply putting less fuel in rather than filling her up solved it.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Jaf :D That should prove a good, lasting repair...
Jaf wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 17:35Took the wheel off for better access...3 wheel bolts!!!
Why use four (or five) when three do the job just fine ;)
Jim