C5 Tourer Exclusive

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Lynnzer

C5 Tourer Exclusive

Post by Lynnzer »

YEhey. I got one.
My 2012 DS5 is now at 140k miles and although still running well it seems that the longer I put off part-exing it, the sooner I'll have some major repair bill. To be honest I hate the damn thing. Suspension is like riding a tray down a mountain slope, way too many blind spots that puts me at risk at nearly every junction and although the seats are full leather and still immaculate it's not much better than sitting on a wooden bench on long runs. My 4rse aches like hell.
So with nothing new from Citroen that fulfils that the need for large boot space in a car shaped car I decided to go back to the C5 Exclusive I had previously.
Problem is that not many were bought in the UK so finding one that fitted the bill wasn't easy. Most newer ones found are up to 2014 but mostly with upward of 75k on the clock. As this car will probably be last one I ever buy (74 years old) I wanted something to take me all the way.

I emailed all the local Citroen dealers and found that the director of Town Centre Citroen, Sunderland had one he was using himself with every conceivable extra. It was the 6th last from the production line and a 17 reg. At 32k on the clock it seemed OK but the price was a bit much at around £18k.
Then I saw one way down south in Godalming, a
My new xar
My new xar
14 reg with only 23k on the clock. Owned by an elderly gentleman who didn't use it much and then didn't renew his license. Brilliant. The Citroen dealer (Wilmoths) said they usually send older cars to auction but the low miles and pristine condition made it a good car to offer themselves. I got a real good part ex price on the DS5 over the phone and agreed a deal with them.
So I collect it middway down the M1 on Wednesday.
I post this so that anyone else who is looking for a damn good C5 may be tempted to call Town Centre Citroen. I have dealt with them for years. Just ask for Chris and tell him Lynn Robson has sent you to him
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 Tourer Exclusive

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I hope you'll be very happy with it :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Lynnzer

Post by Lynnzer »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 22:12 I hope you'll be very happy with it :-D
I'm dead chuffed I found it Marc.
My only real gripe about the Citroen is that the Emway still doesn't have full postcode satnav.
I will probably need to do an update anyway but is there any way to add full postcode to the system that you know of?
Seems pretty pointless having to have my own satnav on the window as well as the Emway.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have an Executive spec VTX+, leather, glass roof etc but manual and springs and the ride is quite hard on it compared with my other ordinary spec VTX+, it seems that the Exec had stiffer front springs - which seems to be a retrograde step to me.

Peter
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Lynnzer wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 07:29
GiveMeABreak wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 22:12 I hope you'll be very happy with it :-D
I'm dead chuffed I found it Marc.
My only real gripe about the Citroen is that the Emway still doesn't have full postcode satnav.
I will probably need to do an update anyway but is there any way to add full postcode to the system that you know of?
Seems pretty pointless having to have my own satnav on the window as well as the Emway.
You should be able to get this working fine on the RT6, minimum firmware level you need is 2.80 and you put the postcode into the 'Town' field. I can't remember now whether it is the first 4, last 4 or the entire postcode into this field - but give it a try.

Marc
Lynnzer

Post by Lynnzer »

I don't get the car until tomorrow but if it's the same as my last Tourer I could only put in the first 4 which I believe covered a pretty large area.
I really want the full postcode input. I'll see what I get first then take it from there.
In the meantime I believe there a Cheat Mode that might give access though don't know much about that. Would also like to give a longer delay for the closedown of the electrics as I often sit in the car for a good time listening to the radio while my wife goes into the shopping precincts.

Just as an aside, the DS5 being part-ex'd was being driven carefully along a smooth road on Friday when there was a tremendous great bang underneath like I'd run over a landmine.
No pothole in sight and nothing showing underneath from a squatting position. It still drove though was making a horrible scraping noise. I went very slowly to my nephew's garage and he found that the OS front coil spring had snapped and as it was laid against the tyre had also knackered that too. Lucky I didn't suffer a blowout on the way to the garage.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so when you get the car, check the firmware version installed. There aren't any 'cheat codes' to change postcode searching - it will only be via the firmware version. But full 7 digit post code searching came in with version 2.80 of firmware, and I think we are on 2.86 or later now - but be warned, if you do need a later update, 2.86 will very likely factory reset your RT6 unit and require a dealer configuration to unlock it (it gets secure locked) or Mirascripts if you know how to use them. A bluetooth Echo calibration will also need to be done after applying this update.

You can't alter the Economy Mode timing either, but you can pass energy management control from the Battery Charge Status Unit to the BSI to get your 30 minutes which is useful if you have the Tourer with electric tailgate as this was one of the annoying glitches where it wouldn't open or close due to Economy mode kicking in. I have put up a procedure to do this in the resources section, but you'll need to upgrade your membership to access this section (a £10 Forum donation will also provide you with parts info and parts diagrams for up to 2 years by a staff member) in addition.

viewtopic.php?t=60776

Having the coil spring break can be scary - ours went on the C3 outside the house just before setting off - put the car into reverse and it went immediately. So had the pair replaced along with the shocks as it's always best to replace these in pairs given the other one will likely go at any time.

Marc
Lynnzer

Post by Lynnzer »

Well things have changed somewhat. It burnt out yesterday.
Slight smell of burning electrics from under the dashboard then whooooooshhhhhhh.
It's now a charred skeleton
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

What? The complete car?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Lynnzer

Post by Lynnzer »

Yup. Slight smell of electrical stuff on fire, smoke from the air vents then less than 2 minutes later burning plastic from under the dashboard started dropping onto the carpets. It5 took the fire engine about 6 minutes and by then it was like the bonfire of the valkyries.
The house I pulled up against had it's windows and door all badly burnt, even the guttering at the top of rather tall old house melted.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Really sorry to read about this Lynn! Good to know that you got out ok and presumably did not get burnt? Seems like a forensic investigation will be necessary to clearly establish the actual cause and then with the house damage too an insurance nightmare. Perhaps they will be able to find a replacement if, that is, you are happy to have another car after that experience? Keep us up to speed with it as I am sure everyone will be happy to know you are ok but interested to know anything you can find out. :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Wow! Sounds like the engine fusebox has overheated and caught fire - that's happened several times I'm aware of. Likewise, I do hope everyone was OK. Shocking to hear nonetheless.

Marc
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

If you don't mind me asking - how long had you been driving it immediately before it caught fire ? i.e. you were 5 minutes down the road, or you'd been in it for half an hour ?
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Wow! Really sorry to hear that Lynn. Keep us informed of what happens now please.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Lynnzer

Post by Lynnzer »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11RZve- ... sp=sharing

Had driven 3 miles.
I'll copy what I sent to mate down in Chatham that explains things in detail regarding the overall situation as have come out of this with a smile on my face

-------------------------------

Email to my mate shortened:
In around 1980 I got my 1st Citroen. It was the wonderful XM Estate that June used for taking her cases of stuff out on clothes parties like Pipadee, though it was her own business. She could get 6 damn great cases into it, with 3 x 6' clothes rails to hang them on. She had fantastic success at the parties and she used to go to places as far away as Whitby or up into the Scottish borders with her partner. She took things to show people as samples then went down to Leeds twice a week to buy the orders to deliver later. So you can imagine she used to drive one hell of a lot. The XM was so easy and so damn comfortable to drive that it was a pleasure going out in it. The suspension was like riding a magic carpet. I still rate this as perhaps the best car I ever had.

Progression from there after other cars such as Renault, Peugot etc saw me buying a Citroen C5 Estate, the 1st incarnation of it.
June was still doing party plan then and it was equally as nice as the XM to drive but not as eye-catching. At 110,000 I traded it in for another that had been improved and restyled to become the C5 Tourer. I just loved it to bits. Apart from the overall looks that made it as appealing as any similar sized car, it also came with the hydro-pneumatic suspension and lots of other driving aids. This also got traded in at 120,000 miles and I went for the new DS5 model that had just been brought out. I just loved the look of it. When I was parked up I was often asked by passers by about the car.

As time went by I got to intensely dislike it though. It had all the looks needed for a modern car but little in the way of comfort. The interior was large enough and it was styled like an aeroplane cockpit so on looks again it couldn't be faulted. But it had lost the Hydractive suspension. The Macpherson struts were bloody horrible. Stiff and unforgiving. It was like riding a tea tray down a slag-heap, leaving a trail of broken teeth behind. The full leather seats even after 140,000 miles looked superb. No cracks or signs of wear. However the sides were shaped too high and they nipped me in the butt and upper thighs making it painful on long journeys.

The front sides of the car were the biggest problem though. The side window directly in front of the opening side windows has a pillar that makes it hard to see things not directly, ie 90 degrees to the car. It obscured the vision really badly and I was fortunate not to have been involved in many accidents by pulling out on approaching traffic at junctions. I mean, really lucky.

So where is all this going?
Well after 139,000 miles I thought it would be a good idea to trade it in. I told June that it was at the point in time where it was going to start developing expensive problems.
Problem is that June loved it. She had got accustomed to the automatic gears and found it easy to drive. So my suggestions of trading it in didn't go down too well.
I persisted though. Little digs and things and after a few days with Jason (my son) adding to my suggestion she decided to let me go for another car. I still love Citroen but there was no way I was going for another DS5, and then they had no similar cars of late that I liked. Hydractive suspension had been dropped and I wanted an estate car again rather than a SUV. So I looked and found that my previous car, the C5 Tourer had been made up until 2017 which was 5 years later than the DS5 12 reg number plate I had. I found one down near Guildford, a 14 plate with only 23,000 on the clock. It was ideal and I expect that the low mileage would give me the rest of my life with it. So I bought that one. They gave me a £3500 part-ex on my DS5 without looking at it. The trade price from Glass's Guide was only £2350 so I was pleased with that.
Then comes the logistics. I arranged to drive the DS5 car down to Leicester Services on the M1, about halfway for both of us, to change over the cars. Then a couple of days later June said she really wanted to keep the DS5 as she preferred not to drive "my new car". She didn't feel confident enough even though we had the same car previously but the manual gearbox model, so I called the garage and they agreed to let me keep it for payment of £2500, ie £1000 less than they had given me for part-ex. So were going to be a 2 car family. They would have auctioned it anyway and pay selling fees.

Then a few days later early in the month before I had arranged a new collection date for my new car, June had an appointment at Hartlepool hospital. I drove her down there and after her visit she decided she wanted to go into the town for shopping. I'd driven less than 300 yards when there was this bloody big bang underneath. I mean it was BIG. Landmine big. I pulled in and walked up the road to see if there was a pothole but there wasn't. There were no bits and pieces on the road that I could have driven over and I couldn't see any under-car damage, loose bits or anything.
I drove on. It was making an awful scraping sound but I drove slowly directly up to my nephew's garage in Easington. It was closed being Sunday so I left the car on the forecourt and got a lift home.
When Paul called the next day he said the front offside coil spring had snapped and it had been rubbing the inside of the tyre and I had been lucky to get home with it.
So that work was done. I also had him change the timing belt while he was at it.

Drum Roll
So, yesterday we went down to the shop to check for styles people were interested in from the website. About 100 yards from the shop I smelled electrical burning smoke and thought it might be coming from someone's garden or something. By the time we got to the shop there was smoke coming from the vents. I gave June the shop keys to open up while I lifted the bonnet. Nothing to see there. More smoke bellowing out the air vents though so I went to the shop to dial 999.
June had gone back out and shouted for me. Melting burning plastic was running from the dashboard onto the carpets. In no time at all it picked up intensity and within a couple more minutes the door panels and seats were blazing.
The heat was so intense it had melted the window UPVC frames and door on the house it was parked up alongside with only a pavement width between. Even the roof guttering was melted.
I had filled the diesel tank the day before so I was praying that it wouldn't go up but there were pops and bangs as well as thick black smoke. The tyres all exploded adding to the horror. Pleased it wasn't a petrol model.
By the time the fire engine turned up it was almost a shell.
So apart from being shaken we were lucky I wasn't actually on the way down to Leicester Forest Services as the mileage done since agreeing to buy it back was less than the distance to there. I would have been in deep cacky on the M1.

Finale
I called the insurance co. (LV - love'em) from the shop to get things moving. The biggest concern was having the shell removed then getting action for our neighbour's house damage. The car was picked up within half an hour.

Today I had a call from one of the assessors. He went through all the car details. He originally came out with a figure in the low $4000 before deduction of the $300 excess so would have beein into around $3800. I argued my case, pristine condition, seats unworn, lots of extras etc and he came out with a figure of £5100. Taking the £300 excess off means it is down to £4800. It's already in the bank. So, Part-ex value was £3500. Bought it back for £2500 and now have a settlement for £4800.

Well folk. I'm in pocket. However i need to buy another car for June. The higher claim amount will at least get me something better than I had, hopefully.

I collect the new C5 Tourer tomorrow.
Last edited by Lynnzer on 26 Jan 2021, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.