Notices..what have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Notices..what have you spotted?

Post by Peter.N. »

I would think that if it said "may" they could be prosecuted under the trade description act. :?

Peter
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

1609881269706.png
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Lovely. :-D

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

ice fishing notice
ice fishing notice
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I've only been fly fishing once, caught one bluebottle and a wasp which stung me so I'm not going again!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 13:00 I've only been fly fishing once, caught one bluebottle and a wasp which stung me so I'm not going again!! :-D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I heard of somebody who went fly fishing on the Duke of Northumberland's' River. On one cast he got a really HEAVY bite. It turned out he had caught a fly half, causing some disruption in the nearby stadium!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

True story... I used to do a lot of sea fishing when I was a kid and once caught a great gull - a really big one - off the harbour wall at West Bay near Bridport. Said gull dived for the bait on the hook as I cast out and caught it in mid-air...

I had to wind the gull in and remove the hook from its beak... A terrifying job on a very angry and distressed gull! I was 14 at the time...

Nobody came to my aid and I had to do it all on my own...

Later I caught a couple of mackerel and enjoyed them for tea 😋
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

You've been that near here have you Jim. :-D I walked in to the sea at Charmouth, many years ago and there was a seagull perched on a post, I put my hand out to it and it bit me! :roll:

Peter
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I had a similarly unfortunate event Jim except mine was with a swan which I had spotted with tackle trailing from its leg but did not expect the trail to catch my line. The only possible thing I could do was to gently wind in and remove the hook from the ankle of the swan. Unlike you I was not alone and my brother-in-law was able to drop a groundsheet over the neck and back to hold it while I worked the hook out. Fortunately it was a reasonably tame bird or we would never have been able to do it. I did post some pictures on POTD some time ago. :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Sometimes wild creatures understand when humans are trying to help them, and are prepared to accept it. Mum once saw a fox in a canal (in a built up area, so the banks were brick faced). When she tried to get her boat close the fox panicked, so she pulled away (the fox calmed down when she did this). Mum then spotted a scramble ladder, so she moored up on that side and walked to the ladder. When she started calling to the fox (just words of encouragement) the fox started swimming towards her. Once the fox was fairly close Mum backed away, and the fox was able to get out of the canal.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I've been to Charmouth Peter, many years before I knew you though...

When I was a kid we often spent a summer week at West Bay as a change for our own holiday caravan at Blue Anchor, near Minehead... It gave dad and I a chance to go fishing for different fish!
Peter.N. wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 17:29 I walked in to the sea at Charmouth, many years ago and there was a seagull perched on a post, I put my hand out to it and it bit me! :roll:
They're vicious and aggressive little devils! Especially if you have a tray of chips about your person :wink: :lol:
mickthemaverick wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 17:41 Fortunately it was a reasonably tame bird or we would never have been able to do it.
Wow! You were lucky it was reasonably tame Mick, an unhappy swan can be incredibly dangerous :shock: Until you see one out of the water you don't appreciate just how big they are!

I once remember one going for my girls when they were little... Scary... Luckily no harm done except for two very shaken-up girls and one very shaken-up dad...

Not so long ago here in Paggers I saw a well-meaning lady try to untangle a swan from fishing line... She went in the river to to try to help and ended up being taken to hospital in an ambulance with some very serious lacerations...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 17:49 Sometimes wild creatures understand when humans are trying to help them, and are prepared to accept it.
Indeed, and I've seen examples James :D I think the seagull I 'caught' knew that despite it being less than happy... In retrospect it was big enough to do a 14 year old me a lot of harm if it was so minded...

Cat's know for sure...
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I've been struck on the back by the leading edge of a cob swan's wing before now - and they can give you quite a thwack :shock: I was rescuing it's littl'uns at the time and it - not surprisingly - thought the worst. I've had to rescue, pick up and carry the pen swan as well - they might seem large birds, but they're surprisingly light. Had to rescue and carry numerous cygnets of varying sizes - now they really are light. The pen swan and cygnets were fine to carry, but as soon as you got them back near water they start to wriggle like mad :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ouch! I can image how a whack from a swan's wing can hurt :shock:
bobins wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 18:09they might seem large birds, but they're surprisingly light.
Makes sense really else they'd not be such accomplished fliers... They're all muscles and feathers I guess... Avian athletes :)
Jim