Vintage Audio Activities...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Lockdown Vintage Audio Activities...

Post by mickthemaverick »

CitroJim wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 16:44
,,, the set fell into my hands
Well now we know what broke the valve!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 16:53
CitroJim wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 16:44
,,, the set fell into my hands
Well now we know what broke the valve!! :-D
:lol: happily, no valves were harmed during the catching of the radio ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Presumably its a Philips chassis Jim, they are masters of tuned circuits and got performance way ahead of most other manufacturers. I had a Philips 'super inductance' pre war TRF and it performed better than many superhets, selectivity was brilliant and it would work without an aerial plugged in!

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 23:47 Presumably its a Philips chassis Jim
It is indeed Peter :) There was an identical Philips model with slight cosmetic differences, notably a blue dial...

Stella was one of their brand names in the same as Pam was a brand name of Pye. Both Stella and Pam were seen as a bit downmarket in the day and Pye sometimes used Pam to try out new things...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Not vintage radio, but it is electronics, and this seems to be the de facto topic! Got a touch control dimmer light which started switching itself on, duff capacitor thinks I, and indeed there's a 0.15pF cap that looks a bit black and some black soot in the case. New caps sourced, but my (40W) soldering iron is not man enough to get the old one off.
IMG_20210116_105007955.jpg
So, recommendations for a better one? How big does it need to be?
Richard W
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I bought an 80W iron kit with desoldering pump etc and it has handled everything I have thrown at it, which included some "Mush" joints on 10mm copper cable in my 9Kw shower.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soldering-Ir ... 0008.m2219
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 13:18 Not vintage radio, but it is electronics, and this seems to be the de facto topic!
Time to get it back on topic then ;)

Yesterday I spent some time resurrecting this rather different one :) A Grampian 506 tuner/amplifier dating from the early 50s. Zel gave me this some while back...
gramp506front.jpg
Grampian were a famous Public Address equipment maker and this one would have been targeted at schools, institutions and maybe small factories... It has a hefty audio amplifier and is very loud and punchy... With bass and treble controls the audio quality is quite exceptional...
Inside view
Inside view
And speaking of capacitors Richard...

I needed to replace all remaining wax capacitors and do some rewiring as the radio section had been somewhat 'got at' :twisted:
70 years old and a bit leaky
70 years old and a bit leaky
One odd problem was the local oscillator stopping at certain parts of the dial... This was all down to bent vanes on the tuning capacitor...

It is now in use in my conservatory and part of my virtual cycling kit..,. Connected to a decent sized speaker it's loud enough to be able to enjoy Radio 5 Live over the din generated by my turbo trainer :)
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I remember them Jim, I thought for a minute you were going to fit it on your bike. :wink:

Peter
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

As I said on your Instagram feed, that looks like a main line battle tank should be bolted to it!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Grampian, not heard that name for years. In the late 70's I worked in a factory which had Grampian PA throughout, ancient even then but wholly reliable.

Music was played in the assembly departments, c 400 mostly female employees doing very repetitive light assembly work on facing conveyor benches of 20 or so. I still shudder when I hear some songs because I remember them all singing along .... Max Bygraves anyone? And again .....

(I was in "Personnel" as it was then. Had to fire a storeman for beating up his supervisor. "But I didn't think you could fire me because I waited until he walked out of the factory door before I hit him....."
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I used to maintain a system at a local paper mill, 'music while you work' was the usual light program output. It used a pre war Philips amplifier with wet electrolytic smoothing capacitors if I remember rightly. I eventually managed to sell them a new system just before the place was closed and demolished.

Peter
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Clarke & Smith held sway in schools right up to the '70s, most famously for LW/MW (and later FM) radio receivers, with 100v line output, which was conduit-routed to all classrooms. Large but lightweight infinite baffle speakers, almost a yard square and with a small 100v line transformer and volume control, could be quickly plugged in in any of the rooms. The central radio unit was often kept pretty much full-time on Radio 4, where BBC Schools' Broadcasts lived.

Other Clarke & Smith kit included amplifiers, record players and a few tape recorders. I think their kit was also favoured by the Home Office, so it was also found in HMP.

By the late '60s, the C&S items were looking somewhat old hat, and those of us involved in setting up AV services in education were looking to Ferrograph, Tandberg, Philips, Sony and others for higher quality and more flexibility, and taking advantage of many of the recent hi-fi offerings then on the matket.

The UK company Goodsell had success with 'schools kit', with some well-made amplified cassette recorders, portable PA, amplified speakers and tuners.

The video journey was another story - via EIAJ-1, N1500/1700, VHS, Betamax, U-matic, Video-8 and the beginnings of DVD.
Chris
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

In a bizarre coincidence, I've just been watching a Youtube about the Tapete (talking books on tape provided by the RNIB). The talking books were originally on very slow playing records, but they moved over to tapes in the 1960s, with the first players designed by Clarke & Smith which played bulky tapes. In 1966 Clarke & Smith then developed the smaller Tapete.

Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Peter.N. wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 11:04 I used to maintain a system at a local paper mill, 'music while you work' was the usual light program output. It used a pre war Philips amplifier with wet electrolytic smoothing capacitors if I remember rightly. I eventually managed to sell them a new system just before the place was closed and demolished.

Peter
Bit of a monster PA system, this one :-D
Amp racks - own work
Amp racks - own work
A gramophone player - own work
A gramophone player - own work
Amp valves - Mrs Bobins' own work
Amp valves - Mrs Bobins' own work
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Bl00dy hell; you and Mrs. Bobins are good at making decent kit!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!