Dealer broke Magneti Marelli radio with software update

This unit is the eMyWay system, also referred to as RT6, RNEG2, or WIPNAV+ for the Peugeot platform and made by Magneti Marelli.
Main Features: The eMyWay colour satellite navigation has high resolution mapping, Bluetooth Telephone & Audio Streaming supported profiles, USB support for Media files & CD

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Jenfog
My Cars: 2014 Peugeot 5008 DTI Allure

Dealer broke Magneti Marelli radio with software update

Post by Jenfog »

Hi! I'm new to this forum and really hope you can help please.

I have a Peugeot 5008 Allure HDI Auto 2014. My original Magneti Marelli radio/nav system recently died, so we went to great lengths to find an identical used one to replace it (rather than paying the exorbitant price of a new one from the dealer - £1200+).

We installed it and it worked well, except that it turned itself off and rebooted a couple of times. We assumed it probably needed a software update. The biggest annoyance, though, was that I could not enter postcodes into the navigation. I knew, from my previous unit, that the Peugeot dealer could update it to allow for this to happen, so when I sent my car for a service, I asked them to update the software so that I could enter postcodes.

The dealer told me that they couldn’t update maps, but that it did indeed need a firmware update. They didn’t tell me that updating the firmware would not mean I would be able to enter postcodes (I learnt that on this site). They also warned me that doing this update could make the unit crash and asked if I was willing to take the risk. I thought this was a bit absurd and assumed they’d have some kind of backup and at least be able to return it to me in its original state, if the backup failed.

Of course, it failed, but worse...they broke the whole radio! After informing me of this, they asked if they had quoted me for a new one(!!!). As a "gesture of good will”, they offered me a new one at a discounted rate of £400.

They returned it to me with the CD stuck in it and not fully installed in the dashboard (although still all plugged in). On further inspection, I see that they have also bent and distorted the release clips in the sides of the unit, suggesting that they didn’t use the correct car radio release tool/pins.

I am not very happy about this. It seems crazy to me that a Peugeot dealer can break a Magneti Marelli entertainment system (that they provide in their cars), with a simple software update. After reading various posts on this site, I wrote to them saying that it appears that more care should have been taken; that maybe their technician wasn’t fully skilled in this area; that perhaps an earlier interim update should have been done first before leaping straight to v.2.86; that they should have maybe calibrated it first etc..

When I wrote to them, I asked if everything had been done to try to reboot it, but they didn’t respond to this. The fact that the CD is still in it suggests that they don’t know how to remove it in an alternative way (as I have read about on this site). After my complaint, they have now said they’d give me a new one for a higher price of £500.

Anyway, please help. Do you think my unit is fixable or have they well and truly killed it? Do you think here’s something they should have done differently?

My husband is a software and mechanical engineer, so is willing to dive in and see if he can fix it, but I have been holding him off until I know more (and until they offered to fix it - which they obviously haven't).

Before the update was carried out:
Unit Reference: 9806708077
CD number 8647
SW Version. - unit RNEG2.75.D.2

They tried the RNEG-RT6 v.2.86 update on USB first, but that didn’t work, so they ordered the CD and that is what crashed the unit.

Photos of the unit are attached.

Thank you so much in advance for any advice, help and/or guidance.
Jenny
IMG_1230.jpg
IMG_1229.jpg
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 15 Jan 2021, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to the RT6 Telematics Section
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Dealer broke Magneti Marelli radio with software update

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Jen (?) welcome to the Forum.

Ok, so it is well known amongst a lot of the community that V2.86, which is a major firmware update, has a very high chance of resetting the telematic unit to default values. Not only that, but it leaves it in a 'Secure' mode that usually requires unlocking by a dealer technician before it can be reconfigured. The trouble is not a lot of dealerships have the expertise to do this as they don't repair these units - as they don't know how to - they send them off to the service centre or sell you a new one.

The problem you have is that the dealer did not supply the replacement unit - and you got it second hand I assume - and as such the unit would very likely be configured for the vehicle it originally came from. The update normally is a simple process, if handled carefully, however there are plenty of warnings about the 2.86 update. The update as I said tends to wipe out pre-configured language, vehicle options like type of parking sensors and other settings. But even with your own diagnostic clone and Diagbox software you won't be able in most cases to re-configure it - because of the secure mode the unit is left in. The dealer should be able to hook up the car to their secure servers and run a diagnostic on the vehicle and once done, should be able to configure the RT6 unit using their technician credentials. Then there is a calibration file that needs applying to solve the Bluetooth echo after this update.

If the update has failed and will no longer update from the CD, the internal SD card may have failed, as they do, depending on age and use it has had, which can prevent it from updating.

So I'm not sure where you go, but you could either send it off for repair (which the dealer arranges via their network and should know about this - there is a standard charge I believe), or you could contact one of the known repairers on this link and get a quote for a repair:

viewtopic.php?t=60781

Autotronics on the list in the link has the best response from members here, especially for Magneti Marelli units.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Jenfog
My Cars: 2014 Peugeot 5008 DTI Allure

Post by Jenfog »

Hi Marc,

Thank you so much for your thorough and quick reply! It is very much appreciated. We have a lot to think about now with regards to how to proceed. Thank you so much again. Jenny
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow