205 1.7 D Lucas pump leaking

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

makemine205
My Cars: 205 diesel

205 1.7 D Lucas pump leaking

Post by makemine205 »

Well, now i have a fuel drip coming from the rear end of the fuel pump. Between the aluminium body and the big black steel ring on the end of the pump. I,m trying to find a diagram for the pump, where is there one ?.
And is it an easy job to do or a pain ?. Is there a gasket or o-ring involved , Funny how its only started leaking in very cold weather ???.
On start up it takes several seconds of cranking and some pumping on the accelerator . After the engine has warmed up the leak stops , due to metal expansion i think.
Any help appreciated .
Thanks.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 205 1.7 D Lucas pump leaking

Post by CitroJim »

The usual cause of a leak is the top cover gasket (a shaped O ring) failing by going hard... Occasionally it can be caused by wear in the bushes carrying the fast idle and governor (throttle) shafts...

It's quite a straightforward job to renew the gasket... It can be done in-situ. You need to do it under clinically clean conditions as no muck whatsoever must be allowed to enter the pump...

I'd recommend you clean the pump exterior and everything else in its vicinity to within an inch of its life before commencing...

Remove the throttle and fast-idle/emergency stop levers, noting their positions and after removing the four cover screws the top cover can be gently lifted off whilst carefully pressing down the throttle shaft as you lift..

A while back, an overhaul kit could be obtained for quite a small outlay and containing, amongst much else, the gasket you need and new O rings for the throttle and fast idle shafts... I've no idea if they are still available but I'm sure the usual auction site will provide ;)

Be aware that some people's skin can be very sensitive to diesel... Try to avoid skin contact when doing the job. I recommend wearing nitrile gloves... Not latex as the diesel will attack them...

I have an exploded diagram of the pump somewhere. I'll try to find it for you...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This thread from long ago may help too... Freshly written after I did the job on my old (and sadly long-gone) 205D. Nearly 14 years ago now!!!

viewtopic.php?t=20656
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
makemine205
My Cars: 205 diesel

Post by makemine205 »

Many thanks for your reply.
All this now after i had just stripped down and cleaned and repaired the starter motor with a new brush holder kit AAArrrggghhh!.
Oh well point taken about clean conditions !. Looks like i put up a polythene tent in my workshop or just go get a recon unit .
Whats the likely cost £ of a recon pump unit from a trusty source , low to high please, never been down this road before .
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

makemine205 wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 08:53 Whats the likely cost £ of a recon pump unit from a trusty source , low to high please, never been down this road before .
A figure that bears more than a passing resemblance to a telephone number I'd imagine :twisted:
Jim

205alex
My Cars: peugeot 205 1.7d

Post by 205alex »

My I have diesel running down from my Luacs pump when i drive my 205 na 1.7 diesel, what are the most common parts of the pump that leak, will post a photo of it after i next drive it but seems to come from underside.
Pump number is 8443B930A.
Many thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The top lid gasket and the O rings around the throttle and fast idle/emergency stop shafts are the usual places where these Lucas DPC pumps leak. Sometimes the shafts wear the lid badly enough it needs to be replaced...

Overhaul kits containing the necessary O rings and gaskets should be still available.

The job can be done without removing the pump from the engine but some care and clinical cleanliness is needed. It's actually easier than it might at first look.

I can offer more advice as necessary... I think the procedure will be on here and a search should find it. I know I've written extensively about it in the past...

EDIT: How to do the job is indeed in this very thread - scroll up a bit and you'll find it ;) Written by me!
Jim

205alex
My Cars: peugeot 205 1.7d

Post by 205alex »

Hi Jim thanks for getting back so fast, I have indeed had a good read of your previous posts already, it definitely seems quite complex to me but doable and I am looking at getting this kit - https://injectionpumps.co.uk/product/co ... out-turbo/

I did the timing belt on the car this year so thought a full replacement could be an easier option for me having done the timing belt part of this job before.
If I decided to go for a replacement does it need to be exact or do most lucas pumps fit, for example I have found a remanufactured CAV DPC 8445B210A from a partner/306 for £175

Cheers!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Alex, I should have said welcome to the forum yesterday! I have now :)

No, the Partner/306 one you see is unlikely to be useful to you as that'll be the later semi-electronic model and needs and ECU and immobiliser setup to work. Also it'll be for the 1.9D and will over-fuel a 1.7D. Best to overhaul what you have and the link to the kit is the one and a good price.

If you feel happier removing the pump then do but honestly, to do the top lid there is no need... Especially on a non-turbo 205. You have loads of room to work.

I once did one in the rain on a nephew's drive in the middle of winter!
Jim