205 Diesel Injector Pump Leaking

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jonesy
My Cars:

205 Diesel Injector Pump Leaking

Post by Jonesy »

I have recently been doing some work on my '88 205 Diesel and have noticed a leak coming from the diesel injector pump.
It's got a Lucas/CAV injector pump and is coming from the spindle that controls the idle speed adjustment/stop lever.
What I was wondering is whether or not I could remove the top plate of the pump and possibly replace the 'o' ring or whatever is there to stop the fuel leaking past?? Is the top plate removable and if so will I do any damage removing it??
The leak does not affect the starting or running of the car but I'm sure they will fail it on the MOT as you can see a small amount running down the front of the engine.
Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes you can. My 205D is suffering slightly from the same thing. You'll need an overhaul kit containing the necessary O rings.

Slip off the cover after taking off the cold start and throttle levers, replace the O rings on the throttle and cold start shafts, replace the large O ring gasket under the cover and job done.

Be very careful though. Take your time and work with absolute cleanliness at all times. Don't allow any dirt or water whatsoever to get in the pump.

PM me and I can suggest a mail-order supplier of an overhaul kit. You'll have to give the full type number of the pump which can be found on the blue plate underneath it. Use either a mirror or an old CD to read it, remembering you'll see it backwards!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Mark,

I have sent you an e-mail. Let me know if you get it OK as occasionally I run into difficulties sending to your ISP :evil:

Fingers crossed :wink:

One thing I should have said generally about delving into diesel pumps concerns your skin. Some people are very sensitive to diesel and suffer badly from contact dermatitis as a result. It is very nasty. Doing a job like this will expose you to a lot of diesel so take precautions such as wearing protective gloves and cuffed sleeves. These need to be a good fit and diesel proof as the job takes a little manual dexterity to do.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I did the seals on my pump the other day after the leaks got to be a bit too much for comfort. For what it's worth, this is how I went about it:

1. Remove the throttle cable and waxstat cable.
2. Note carefully how the throttle lever return spring is anchord how the emergency stop/cold start lever and associated springs and brackets are located and fit together.
3. Remove the cold start bracketry and springs from the front of the pump.
4. Remove the throttle and cold-start levers, noting the washers used.
5. Clean the pump exterior so that it is spotless and shines. I used Electrolube ULS solvent for this. Get it as clean as you possibly can to obviate any risk of debris falling into the pump when you remove the lid.
6. Clean up all the brackets, levers, washers, springs and nuts you have previously removed.
7. Pull the fuel return and leakoff pipes from the banjo union on the pump lid. Don't disturb the banjo union itself.
8. Loosen the four torx bolts holding the lid (T25).
9. Gently push don the throttle shaft so that it disappears into the pump body. Rotate the cold-start shaft anti-clockwise about half a turn.
10. Remove the lid screws and carefully lift the lid, tilting it toward the engine. Pull the throttle shaft fully out from underneath. Put lid on a clean surface.
11. carefull cover the top of the pump with a clean cloth to prevent ingress of dirt.
12. Push out the cold start shaft from the lid, clean up the shaft and lid.
13. Replace the big O ring that forms the lid gasket.
14. Remove the two O rings on the cold start shaft and replace them. They are very tight and I found it helped to stretch them over the shaft with a apir of needle-nosed pliers. The best way to remove the old O rings, I found, was to snip them with a pair of small wire cutters. Replace the cold start shaft in the lid in the same orientation as it came out.
15. Replace the two O rings on the throttle shaft. This job has to be done with extreme care over a pool of diesel above the exposed innards of the pump. Again, snip off the old O rings and help the new ones on with a pair of needle nosed pliers. Take extreme care not to drop any of the old O ring bits or dirt into the pump.
16. Carefully replace the lid, gently feeding the throttle shaft up through its bore in the lid. Use a little diesel as a lubricant Evenly tighten the four Torx Screws taking care not to distort the lid in the process.

The rest of the process is a straight reversal of the dismantling process.

Once all back together, adjust the cold start cable and throttle cable as per BoL.

Sit back and enjoy a leak-free pump. The job is not difficult but needs a steady hand and strict attention to cleanliness at all times. Pertend you are doing brain surgery and all will be OK.

Lastly, you will get your fingers covered in diesel so do not risk doing this job if either you know you are sensitive to contact dermatitis from exposure to diesel or if you are not sure your skin can handle it. I doubt that the task in step 15 can be carried wearing any sort of protective glove as it needs a great deal of manual dexterity.
Jim

will-from-sussex
New User

Re: 205 Diesel Injector Pump Leaking

Post by will-from-sussex »

Thanks for the guide! Just did mine. Way easier than expected.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

will-from-sussex wrote:Thanks for the guide! Just did mine. Way easier than expected.
Excellent :-D That's good news Will and pleased the guide, written a long time ago now, was useful!
Jim

Jacklivesey
New User

Post by Jacklivesey »

Hi, I'm having a similar problem. There is fuel leaking from the throttle spindle, whilst reassembling the throttle lever after finding the leak I managed to shear off the spindle just above the lever... can't quite believe it.

Does anyone have a fuel injector pump for sale? Its a Lucas/CAV, from a '95 205d

Many thanks
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

even though Sir Jim's guide is very good
before dismantling i would firstly check the one way valves in the fuel line banjo unions,

as the guy at what was the Lucas diesel repair/overhaul workshop local to me said,

if the one way valves are sticking they can cause back pressure which then push's fuel out were ever it can,
even if the seals are ok
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
ade_j

Post by ade_j »

That's useful to know Citronut, thanks...can anyone tell me where these are on a 205D? I haven't ever had issues with the fuel system beyond changing plugs and filters before, so this is all new to me!

Ade