Headlights for RH Drive 2016 DS5 for Europe

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Headlights for RH Drive 2016 DS5 for Europe

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would check in the owners handbook. My cousin has an Audi TT (stop having a go at me; it was HIS choice, not mine!), and when he planned a trip to Europe he could not find how to change the headlights. When he asked at the dealership they told him that his TT would 'know' where it was through the GPS system and automatically adjust the headlight pattern for the country it was in.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
elaine
My Cars: Currently own a righthand drive DS5

Post by elaine »

furriegurrie wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 07:42 Just something that crossed my mind, depending on the type of lights fitted couldn't it be as simple as a setting in the software of the car?
If it's got self levelling and directional projector type lights this might be something that's possible.
Or otherwise maybe there is a lever somewhere on the lights that could be set for left or right hand drive?
Thanks for the input. Have been right through car manual and can't find anything remotely useful. Definitely no lever. Have sent DS email no 3 (not very responsive), and then came across a FAQ on their website regarding stick on deflectors. The answer partially helped if I was just going on holiday, but not to get the car through an MOT. Thanks again.
elaine

Post by elaine »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 09:08 I would check in the owners handbook. My cousin has an Audi TT (stop having a go at me; it was HIS choice, not mine!), and when he planned a trip to Europe he could not find how to change the headlights. When he asked at the dealership they told him that his TT would 'know' where it was through the GPS system and automatically adjust the headlight pattern for the country it was in.
Clever Audi! Just been right through manual for 2nd time, nothing useful. Thanks for input. Elaine
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I can confirm that the DS5 has separate headlamp units for right hand drive and left hand drive vehicles. They will need replacing with LHD versions. Bit you also need to be aware that there are various changes and modifications to these over the range, so it is important you get the right ones. Apart from that there are Halogen versions, Xenon directional versions, and then there are the later Xenon with LED versions!

If you pop your VIN up I may be able to help you work out what you have depending on the year. There is no system on these to modify them for different countries - you need the correct ones.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
elaine

Post by elaine »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 15:13 I can confirm that the DS5 has separate headlamp units for right hand drive and left hand drive vehicles. They will need replacing with LHD versions. Bit you also need to be aware that there are various changes and modifications to these over the range, so it is important you get the right ones. Apart from that there are Halogen versions, Xenon directional versions, and then there are the later Xenon with LED versions!

If you pop your VIN up I may be able to help you work out what you have depending on the year. There is no system on these to modify them for different countries - you need the correct ones.
Thank you for the clarification, Marc. I really do feel like I am going round in circles. When I look for new parts, they always come up with 2011-2015. My friend who has looked at it for me is saying I must get headlights for 2017/2018/2019/2020 although my car was first registered 31/12/16. What I would like to do is buy from another manufacturer other than DS as they are ridiculously expensive, in fact so expensive, I would probably bring car back to UK and sell it. Meanwhile, VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]. Really appreciate your help. Thanks Elaine
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Elaine

Your DS5 does have the later headlamps, that is the ones with LEDs and Xenon's and yes, they are very expensive.

The bare headlamps for driving on the Right hand side of the road - as in France are:
image_2021-01-07_160418.png
Left Lamp Part number: 1613381080, £1411.76 inc. VAT
Right Lamp Part Number: 1613380980, £1411.76 inc. VAT

I should point out that these lamps above are only for the bare lamp themselves if you were buying them from Citroen / DS. The bulbs and ballast and 'drivers' for the LEDs would likely be separate.

However, this part number should be what you need for locating second hand units - although I expect these to be uncommon....

There is a slightly cheaper price for these here:

https://peugeotcitroendsparts.com/brand ... c&page=931

£2591.44 for the pair inc. VAT Shipping to France is £11.99 by courier for items over £60.

Marc
elaine

Post by elaine »

Thank you, Marc. At least I now have a p/no to work with. So, the question of ballast came up earlier. If I am lucky enough to find the two above p/nos second-hand, do I need to ask for the ballast as well? One of the kind contributors above thought the ballast in my car might work. Gosh, you guys are so technical, puts me to shame!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I found this company in Holland who may be able to help Elaine, give them a call and see what happens:
https://bartebben.com/parts/CITROEN/ds5 ... 81080.html :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

elaine wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 16:14 Thank you, Marc. At least I now have a p/no to work with. So, the question of ballast came up earlier. If I am lucky enough to find the two above p/nos second-hand, do I need to ask for the ballast as well? One of the kind contributors above thought the ballast in my car might work. Gosh, you guys are so technical, puts me to shame!
The ballast you have already will work with the existing and new lamps - there is no difference, as with the driver kit. All the fittings and other parts should be identical - it is just the headlamps themselves you need.

So if you manage to get a set second hand set, they may or may not have the associated parts - that will depend on the breaker. But it won't matter as you already have these parts in your car, so can just swap these over where necessary.

Marc
elaine

Post by elaine »

mickthemaverick wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 16:14 I found this company in Holland who may be able to help Elaine, give them a call and see what happens:
https://bartebben.com/parts/CITROEN/ds5 ... 81080.html :)
Thank you! I will give them a call. You guys on here are so helpful, thank you :-D Elaine
elaine

Post by elaine »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 16:17
elaine wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 16:14 Thank you, Marc. At least I now have a p/no to work with. So, the question of ballast came up earlier. If I am lucky enough to find the two above p/nos second-hand, do I need to ask for the ballast as well? One of the kind contributors above thought the ballast in my car might work. Gosh, you guys are so technical, puts me to shame!
The ballast you have already will work with the existing and new lamps - there is no difference, as with the driver kit. All the fittings and other parts should be identical - it is just the headlamps themselves you need.

So if you manage to get a set second hand set, they may or may not have the associated parts - that will depend on the breaker. But it won't matter as you already have these parts in your car, so can just swap these over where necessary.
Brilliant, thank you. Now just need to get searching. Will let you know outcome, and thanks again! Elaine
elaine

Post by elaine »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 16:06 Hi Elaine

Your DS5 does have the later headlamps, that is the ones with LEDs and Xenon's and yes, they are very expensive.

The bare headlamps for driving on the Right hand side of the road - as in France are:

Left Lamp Part number: 1613381080, £1411.76 inc. VAT
Right Lamp Part Number: 1613380980, £1411.76 inc. VAT

I should point out that these lamps above are only for the bare lamp themselves if you were buying them from Citroen / DS. The bulbs and ballast and 'drivers' for the LEDs would likely be separate.

However, this part number should be what you need for locating second hand units - although I expect these to be uncommon....

There is a slightly cheaper price for these here:

https://peugeotcitroendsparts.com/brand ... c&page=931

£2591.44 for the pair inc. VAT Shipping to France is £11.99 by courier for items over £60.
Marc, I have found the following on a French selling site similar to Ebay : Headlight passenger side for Citroën ds5 phase 2 after 2015 new, original Ref: 98087176. It is cheap compared to new. P/no doesn't match but states for DS5 after 2015. Could it be modified to fit maybe? Appreciate any input, thanks Elaine
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Elaine

That is an invalid part number - it is too short (should be at least 10), so have a check, but regardless, there is only one set of part numbers for the specific lamps fitted on your DS5.

The different versions have different technologies and can't be modified. The combined Discharge Xenon and LED type lamps have specific operating requirements and dependencies / additional equipment to work and can't be changed for a different system just by swapping the headlamps unfortunately.

The only lamp part numbers are the ones I have quoted above for this specific DS5 build as it was a facelifted model and has different technologies than the previous older models.

Marc
elaine

Post by elaine »

Okay, Marc, I will dismiss it and carry on looking. Thanks again.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Marc, is there a start date (or RPI number and hence date) for when those correct part number headlamps are fitted from? The OP could then dismiss any years quoted in an advert that are prior to that.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​