Indoor POTD and your "memory lane" Photos

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Re: POTD your "memory lane" Photos

Post by Richard_C »

A few years back I looked at my boxes of slides and realised I would never darken the room, find a screen, crank up the Leitz projector and look at them ever again. So I made an adapter for my pretty ancient Pentax DSLR, essentially using a 50mm manual lens and one extension tube from film days, a tube made from a plastic water bottle lined with black paper slipped over and a slide holder made from thin ply with 2 bent hairgrips on the front. Tether camera to laptop using some distinctly unofficial software then off you go, pop slide in holder, press spacebar, next .... Took me a bit over a week at a couple of hours a day to copy all, about 3500. Crop, rotate and auto levels took about half that time. The oldest ones had suffered in storage - 50 years in the roof getting hot-cold-hot etc. so have odd colour rendition.

One of the boxes (there was then a long gap) was from 1965. Me, 13 an only child, first family camping trip to foreign places. Proud owner of a Boots Beiretetti ? Junior 2 camera and a roll of Kodachrome.

We went on a Townsend Thorensen ferry, which passed another one mid channel, and motored down to camp in our Blacks Frame Tent somewhere near La Rochelle. Along the way we crossed a transporter bridge, may have been near Rochefort. 2 tone Hillman Super Minx, chrome hubcaps and wheel rim embellishers. I think my father had a decent promotion the year before.

Does that count for memory lane?
Attachments
1965_6 SC_0047.jpg
1965_6 SC_0033.jpg
1965_6 SC_0039.jpg
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Own work
Own work
Well as I said on the TV thread my information comes from my own memory of the tour boat commentator's words. The boat in the picture was called Summer, it shouldn't be too hard to work out the other 3, and you can see why I remembered them!! :-D
Last edited by mickthemaverick on 05 Jan 2021, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Richard_C wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 21:53 Does that count for memory lane?
Of course
"more, more, more!"

I have been doing a less sophisticated slide to digital camera conversion with Rollei Projector and screen simply photographing the screen.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Richard_C wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 21:53 A few years back I looked at my boxes of slides and realised I would never darken the room, find a screen, crank up the Leitz projector and look at them ever again. So I made an adapter for my pretty ancient Pentax DSLR, essentially using a 50mm manual lens and one extension tube from film days, a tube made from a plastic water bottle lined with black paper slipped over and a slide holder made from thin ply with 2 bent hairgrips on the front. Tether camera to laptop using some distinctly unofficial software then off you go, pop slide in holder, press spacebar, next .... Took me a bit over a week at a couple of hours a day to copy all, about 3500. Crop, rotate and auto levels took about half that time. The oldest ones had suffered in storage - 50 years in the roof getting hot-cold-hot etc. so have odd colour rendition.
That is an excellent idea Richard!
I have been considering for ages now buying a film scanner, but I would need one that does 6x6cm slides as there are hundreds of that format, along with thousands of 35mm and many more thousands of negatives.
Your post reminded me that there were similar, professional slide copiers. I may well have a bash at bodging one up myself.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Part of the aerial farm at a radio station I worked at back in the late 70s...
HF Log Periodic Arrays...
HF Log Periodic Arrays...
During my career I rebuilt a few of these... They were straightforward to bring down for maintenance, the whole mast was pivoted at ground level and they could be winched down with relative ease...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Indoor POTD your "memory lane" Photos

How's the indoor POTD going..... :?: Still plenty of opportunities I hope, keep them coming. :-D

Mick mentioned "Stamp Album" on POTD, although obviously my "Album Cover" artwork on today's POTD would be for some form of progressive concept album.

Plenty to be learned and enjoyed from Stamp Collecting back in the 1960's. Barcode collecting in the 2020's isn't quite the same, and when did you last see a decent postmark and date cancelling the ever more rare physical stamp on an item of mail.
countries, artwork, history, stamp hinges, trips to Woolworths, swaps...
countries, artwork, history, stamp hinges, trips to Woolworths, swaps...
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

The word "indoor" inspired me to simply take a snap of my surroundings as I sit here watching The Malta Story!! :-D
Own work
Own work
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 06 Jan 2021, 14:25 The word "indoor" inspired me to simply take a snap of my surroundings as I sit here watching The Malta Story!! :-D

Yes that's part of the intention for the thread. If you cant get out and about, still stuff to be found to join-in with a bit of indoor photography, as well as digging up those old photos we all have, and posting a few up.

I think I'll bring Champion the Wonderhorse in from New Year, just to illustrate the point :-D Very unlikely that I would get a decent pic of Champion outdoors now!
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 00:30 ...and my effort to achieve seemingly the impossible. A picture of Champion the Wonderhorse from my armchair. When I got my first camera Champion the Wonderhorse was the first thing I wanted to take a picture of :-D

Genuine new years day 2021 original :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Indoor POTD and your "memory lane" Photos

Post by myglaren »

Money.png
Looking for a stamp I found these among the assorted rubbish.

I did know about the £1, from my mother's years ago.
Haven't a clue where the tenner came from, or when.
NewcastleFalcon

My little Sony DSC W800 Compact Camera has had some heavy use, and is still going strong.

Was just photographing an English green £1 note and a Bank of Scotland £5 note to pick up on Steve's theme, I may even have gone on to a Swiss 10 Franc note I think it was which appeared at random the other day.

SD card was still in the laptop, so after doing the deed, got the sd out of the laptop put it in the camera to copy the photo from the camera memory to the sd card and...the "no memory card message" appears.

A failed SD card has happened to me before and involved shelling out to get the pics recovered, tried the sd card in the laptop slot again and the laptop read it so got all the files off it and onto an external storage back up device pronto.

Another SD card (exactly the same 16gb Sandisk SDHC) is recognised by the camera. So the duff SD card is recognised by the Laptop, but not the camera. Lost confidence in it and its currently useless. I think there was 13 GB to transfer to the external storage device, I did have a back up in November to go back to, but all files preserved for now.

One thing about the old photos, in printed or slide form, as long as kept dry and dark will probably outlast our carefully preserved digitals :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I have rescued faulty SD cards in the past by using ChkDsk.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks Paul, on the laptop the SD card is fine, did the slow format, chkdsk no problems, works fine.

Camera doesn't recognise it, churns out "no memory card" message. Camera does recognise another SD card, same make same spec. Abandoning trying to get it to work in the camera now.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 06 Jan 2021, 19:57 One thing about the old photos, in printed or slide form, as long as kept dry and dark will probably outlast our carefully preserved digitals :-D
Indeed. The ones below are in absolutely pristine condition despite being 45 years old and not stored on any archival level by any means. Just kept in photographic paper boxed that the paper came in - I took, developed the film and printed it myself on amateur equipment.
The scan quality is low to enable posting here, the originals are sharp, have excellent gradation and no grain - Kodak Pan-X film, 25 ASA.
Charlie
Charlie
Charlie 2
Charlie 2
Her name wasn't really Charlie but she hated her first name - that of a saint (abbess) associated with Whitby. Her second name that of one of the pythons, first name Eric. You can imagine the ribbing she got for that - discarded by the time I met her. She was using her ex-husbands name by then.
'Charlie' came from her consumption of Charleberg brandy and she is still known as that now.
She was (is) quite a character.
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote: 06 Jan 2021, 16:34 money pic
My indoor POTD contribution on that theme, interrupted by the SD Card failure. Decided to alter my current method of use of SD cards. ie inserting and removing them on a daily basis when I want to transfer pics to the laptop from the camera. Dug the wire out so the sd card is going to remain in situ!
the green pound note, and a Bank of Scotland fiver.
the green pound note, and a Bank of Scotland fiver.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

myglaren wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 22:06
I have been considering for ages now buying a film scanner, but I would need one that does 6x6cm slides as there are hundreds of that format, along with thousands of 35mm and many more thousands of negatives.
Your post reminded me that there were similar, professional slide copiers. I may well have a bash at bodging one up myself.
This is photo-geeky so not of interest to many. After much digging around I've found pictures of the 'rig'. All pretty crude looking but effective. Manual focus lens carefully focused, F11 for decent dof because slide emulsions vary a bit in thickness, set ISO about 200 and let shutter speed float, the shot captures a bit more than the slide area which means you are throwing pixels away when you crop but it hardly matters. I has a few blank slides (wholly over exposed) and wrote on things like "1976 box 1" so I slipped them in the order rather than trying to put things in folders as part of the copy. I really wanted to copy at speed. It was easy then to put things in named subfolders using file explorer. With the big low cost sd cards you get today, not sure if I would bother tethering to laptop, would just use a remote control on the camera.

After capture I used a photo editor - have the now defunct serif photoplus but any will do. Set the crop ratio to 3:2, made a custom toolbar with straighten (for the few that went in wonky), crop, rotate (if you crop before rotate you don't need to mess with aspect in cropping), auto levels, save. Using 2 screens if you have them or split screen if you don't, drag photo out of file explorer into editing sw, do the 4 or 5 actions, repeat. Roughly 200 per hour through copier and more than that in edit. Put in folders, I used a freeware file rename utility to give them meaningful-ish names, backed up (of course :)). A neighbour loaned me a scanner but it was just too slow, fiddly to load and c. 60 seconds per scan, throughput maybe 30 per hour and still would need editing and naming. I looked the the slide boxes, consulted actuarial tables, and thought no.

IMGP8241.JPG
IMGP8239.JPG
IMGP8238.JPG
A bit more back on topic. Mick's picture of the living room brings me back to one of my regrets. Looking back through all my pictures they are of 'special things' - holidays, landscapes, events. None the worse fort that but what I miss is the ordinary. Hardly any of the houses I lived in (what was the fireplace like in ..... remember that adeptus sofa we got second hand .... none of that). So picture the ordinary as well as the special. Wish I had one of the living room and fireplace in our first house back in '76.

And finally, here's a slide copy I took a bit more care with editing. A French car in a French village, maybe late 70's. Enjoy.
traction.jpg
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini