xantia rescue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Re: xantia rescue

Post by admiral51 »

Not sure about the kinked pipe will take a look at mine in moment and take some pics.
However the amount of LHM under the car reminds me of what happens when you overfill the reservoir and when you do down/up cycles the fluid returns to the reservoir and when it over flows out it runs out in front of the bulkhead and onto the subframe and then runs everywhere .

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Any pipe that's certified for unleaded petrol is LHM-proof. If in any doubt, soak a bit of the pipe in a bowl of LHM for a week and look for reactions...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Scottculli
My Cars: 1998 Xantia exclusive

Post by Scottculli »

admiral51 wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 12:42 Not sure about the kinked pipe will take a look at mine in moment and take some pics.
However the amount of LHM under the car reminds me of what happens when you overfill the reservoir and when you do down/up cycles the fluid returns to the reservoir and when it over flows out it runs out in front of the bulkhead and onto the subframe and then runs everywhere .

Colin
that definitely sounds similar to what’s going on, if it is then that a huge relief as it solves one of the problems,ill get the car going and see what the lhm level is like after a couple of minutes
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

DSC_0664.JPG
DSC_0664.JPG
Not sure if i have taken the angle but the pipes shown are metal pipes, i cannot see any join that links in with kinked pipe
Attachments
DSC_0665.JPG
Last edited by admiral51 on 30 Dec 2020, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

CitroJim wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 12:47 Any pipe that's certified for unleaded petrol is LHM-proof. If in any doubt, soak a bit of the pipe in a bowl of LHM for a week and look for reactions...
Thanks for the tip I’ll definitely use that,
on the repair do you think I should replace the Whole hose in stead of just the kinked bit, so that it doesn’t happen again, or is that over the top?
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

admiral51 wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 12:59 Image

Not sure if i have taken the angle but the pipes shown are metal pipes, i cannot see any join that links in with kinked pipe
I think on v6 model they are a bit different.because of a power steering pressure regulator, I think, but I appreciate you taking the time to take the pictures
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

#-o #-o #-o Forgot it was not a poverty spec like mine :rofl2:

And no problem to nip out and take a couple of pics :-D
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Looking at the pictures again, and it being a metal pipe "T" that the kinked pipe is attached to is it possible that the original pipe would have run along the bottom edge of the battery tray and also have been metal.
Unless the replacement pipe has an elbow in it then it will kink again ?
Maybe worth a punt at someone like Hyphose to see if they can make up a pipe to length with the required bend.

Colin
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Fuel line should be good with LHM, or hose that is rated for carrying oil, or silicone hose.

I have not been able to locate a photo, and my Xantia is in the wrong country, so I can't take one now.
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Mike i have looked again at the kinked pipe and its routeing and i may have been a little hasty.
If you look closely you can see where the replacement pipe sits over the original ( factory ) pipe work both ends.
Would it be more logical that the pipe work ran in a similar route to the one that is still in situ, ie angles towards the front of the car and then down not as i first guessed along the battery tray.
Where the original pipe has been cut would have been down to who cut it and the access they had to make a temp repair.
I do not think it will be that difficult for someone with the right knowledge and equipment to manufacture a decent and more permanent repair as it looks like there is a fair bit of original pipe work both ends to play with ?

Colin
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

so after reading all the replies, the plan of action is to get some nitrile hose and just swap it for the temporary fix, it seems like like it should be simple enough job, and is a good start as that's half the leaks solved.
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

hey everyone how's it going, this last week and a bit has been quite productive in terms of finding leaks, as the leak I talked about in the last update ,i did buy the fuel line but found it wasn't 100 percent perfect in the fit, but luckily as I was playing with the original repair on the bench I found out that the leek was coming from a small tear on the pipe so I just cut of the end and applied some jubilee clips to it and it loot pretty good as I haven't seen any leeks there so far , I also plan on giving it some extra protection and using one of those plastic covers that you use to keep cables from getting to messy just to help it from rubbing on the battery when I take it out .secondly I have to admit I think I was wrong about the doser valve being in good condition, I started to look for it through the wheel arch and seemed so see a wet patch at the bottom of it/around it on the underside ,I then looked flexible lights to get light to the back of it and it defiantly looks wet like a leek was coming from it somewhere, I was wondering do you think it could be a internal leek and I should take it of, or maybe its just one of the pipes, so I thought it would be best to ask you what the best plan of Action was, over all its been pretty positive and I'm glad to have sourced the cause of the other leak.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent! Great to see progress :)

Best if that kink can be removed from the pipe in the top picture... There's not a lot of pressure in it but it does carry a high volume of fluid at times...

The brake dosuer normally leaks from the rubber boot over its actuating button - the bit the brake pedal presses on...

A sure diagnosis is a puddle of LHM in the driver's footwell and oily dampness in the vicinity of the brake pedal actuating rod... You may find if the leak is long-established the LHM will have melted the footwell sound-deadening pad into a horrid, sticky, gooey ,mess :twisted:

Happily, the rubber boot is a lot easier to replace than it at first appears to be :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

CitroJim wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 14:03 Excellent! Great to see progress :)

Best if that kink can be removed from the pipe in the top picture... There's not a lot of pressure in it but it does carry a high volume of fluid at times...

The brake dosuer normally leaks from the rubber boot over its actuating button - the bit the brake pedal presses on...

A sure diagnosis is a puddle of LHM in the driver's footwell and oily dampness in the vicinity of the brake pedal actuating rod... You may find if the leak is long-established the LHM will have melted the footwell sound-deadening pad into a horrid, sticky, gooey ,mess :twisted:

Happily, the rubber boot is a lot easier to replace than it at first appears to be :)
I definitely agree with you on the bend in the pipe not being the best of things, for sure, I was wondering if you had any ideas on it just that when I tried using the fuel line that was the ideal choice, the metal pie that connects to the metal return had a sort of lip that was a good 3-4mm thicker than the tube and I couldn't seem to find a way of getting it on, I did try using a pen lid and some metal tubes to expand the fuel line but it just couldn't get over the lip
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Scottculli wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 14:17the metal pie that connects to the metal return had a sort of lip that was a good 3-4mm thicker than the tube and I couldn't seem to find a way of getting it on...
That must have been some very beefy and stiff pipe! The lips are there to ensure the pipe stays put with a clip beyond the lip... One big problem the lips cause on old pipes is perishing where the rubber pipe swells over the lip...

In the past I've not had any issue getting a length of new pipe over the lips. What might well help is to warm the rubber pipe to soften it and lubricate the metal bits, especially the lips, with Vaseline. One good thing about Vaseline is that it will not cause any harm to pipes, the LHM or the hydraulic system in general...

Have a look for some slightly thinner walled pipe perhaps as that will help to ease it over the lips.

To avoid kinks, there's no problem in using a long length of pipe so that it can take a nice 'easy' route. The excess length can easily enough be neatly 'lost' along the run...
Jim