Heater blower and daytime running lights cut out intermittent, and always at the same time, on Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NorwegianMan
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1998, combi coupe, 1,8i 16V

Heater blower and daytime running lights cut out intermittent, and always at the same time, on Xantia

Post by NorwegianMan »

But when I turn on the light switch to get low and high beam, it always works as it should. So the big problem for me now is that the heater blower cut out intermittent.
The heater blower, and the daytime lights (same bulbs as low beam), works totally fine when it works.
The lights, and the blower, can be dead from I start the car, or they can get on and off when I am driving.
I tried to check the connectors under the rug on the driver's side, as I have been told that there should be some connectors there, but I could not find the correct bits for the screws for the cover there under the rug. Anyone know what kind of bits fit?
The rear window wiper was also working intermittent, but BEFORE this happened, and is now compleately dead.
So what can it be?
Xantia 1998, combi coupe, 1,8i, 16V
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Heater blower and daytime running lights cut out intermittent, and always at the same time, on Xantia

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and :welc: to the Forum. I am not able to offer you any advice, other than to wait until somebody with far more knowledge than I have can step in and help.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NorwegianMan

Re: Heater blower and daytime running lights cut out intermittent, and always at the same time, on Xantia

Post by NorwegianMan »

Thanks for the happy welcoming!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I guess that your car is Scandinavian specification with the headlights usesd as DRLs? These have some extra wiring and relays which are not present for the rest of the world.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a wiring diagram with the DRL components. Can you confirm that your Xantia is a Mk2? The wiring changed in 1998.

Your car may (or may not) have a relay that takes the heavy current from the heater fan. Earlier cars without the relay often have the ignition switch fail due to being overloaded. So the first thing to check is whether the power from the "accessory" contact on the ignition switch disappears when your fault occurs, if your car does not have the extra relay fitted at the factory, you should fit one, and often that will fix the problem, even without replacing a worn ignition switch.

Here are the instructions for fitting the relay to a RHD Mk1 Xantia viewtopic.php?t=24786, I think that they would generally be applicable to your car, but be aware that your car may already have this relay fitted at the factory (fitting started after a few months of production of the Mk2)
NorwegianMan

Post by NorwegianMan »

Thanks for the explanation xantia-v6.

Is Mk2 with the bigger front bumper? If so then I have Mk1.
Yes the headlights is used as DRLs on this car.

If there is some extra relay fitted for the heater fan, where is it usually placed? For maybe I can toggle a little with it to try to make it start?

Can a amateur like me check a easy way if the «power from the "accessory" contact on the ignition switch disappears»? Or do I have to take out the ignition switch to test it?
NorwegianMan

Post by NorwegianMan »

If it is the ignition switch, maybe i can toggle a little with the ignition key to see if the fan and lights starts?
Is it complicated to change the ignition switch?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

If your car is a mk1, then it will not have the extra relay, which you should fit (or get fitted) using the instructions here viewtopic.php?t=24786 . Usually it is found that although the old ignition switch has burned contacts, it works fine after a relay is added.