xantia rescue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: xantia rescue

Post by myglaren »

Only if you are working for MI6

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

:lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Scottculli
My Cars: 1998 Xantia exclusive

Post by Scottculli »

myglaren wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 17:54 Only if you are working for MI6

To be fair if you Tried to do any turn in a mustang you’d soon get used to being on your side
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

hey everyone, so I've got some good news. the engine started today, it took a couple goes but she did it (I've got to say I've had a couple of sleeps since she was last running but my god the noise that comes out of the exhaust its like lovely kind of purr) . then I gave it a couple of minuets for the for the pressure in the hydraulics to build up. I then put it through a couple of cycles of citrobics(although the brake pedal was stuck and really didn't want to budge)and that was all fine .so now that we've got the suspension up its now possible to see where the problems are. so i had a look underneath the car and the was quite a puddle on the near side front strut, when its liter tomorrow ill get it on some jacks and try to narrow it down to a specific location . another thing now the suspension is raised I've been able to take a proper look at the strut tops the left side looks very worn but not terrible but the right side (well those of a sensitive disposition do be advised to look away now)
Spoiler: show
https://imgur.com/yK9OQmD
, so my next objectives are to find out what is causing that puddle of lhm on the near side, and have a look at the strut tops and see what needs to be done, and what i can try and do :(. but it feels like its in a good place and I'm gona try asking my grandma if I can use her garage, as it would be nice to have somewhere dry to work, all is going good and ill keep you all informed in how it comes along.
Skull
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroën Xantia XII HDi
Citroën AX XII

Missing AX 1.4D Echo

Post by Skull »

Scottculli That offside strut does look dodgy, remember not to get underneath the car until it's properly supported on ramps or axle stands as the suspension can squash you if it drops suddenly. It looks/sounds like a low pressure leak which is easier to sort then a high pressure one .....

Slowly and safely .....
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

Skull wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 20:08 Scottculli That offside strut does look dodgy, remember not to get underneath the car until it's properly supported on ramps or axle stands as the suspension can squash you if it drops suddenly. It looks/sounds like a low pressure leak which is easier to sort then a high pressure one .....

Slowly and safely .....
oh definitely iv got 4 jacks, a trolley jack and just for safety im gonna put a tyre underneath, after seeing how low the suspension goes when de pressurised im not gonna take anything to chance on that.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

The leak on the N/S strut seems to be coming from the return feed looking at the picture.
The pipe and brackets are still available i think from Citroen and can be found on the inter web and are actually quite cheap but can be a pain to fit correctly ( well for me any how ).

Will try and dig out my post about my leak from the N/S front strut return pipe

Colin

Found the Link
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

myglaren wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 17:54 Only if you are working for MI6

Odd coincidence - our interwebby pipes went off today so put the TV on, first time in four years, to watch "His Dark Materials" - which starts at 20:10.
Was early so had a look at the menu and "Diamonds Are Forever" was on - halfway through and the scene above came on after about ten minutes - I had no idea that it was from that film.

When it finished I turned over to watch HDM and of course that was just finishing too, on an hour early tonight.

Those JB films are pretty hokey really.
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

hey everyone hope you enjoyed your holidays . I've finally had some time here where the weather hasn't been rainy and a clear schedule.so the last couple of days iv had the car up on axle stands and crawled underneath to try and find out where the leaks where coming from, I've found the location of two leaks, the first one was at the front left of the engine bay where the pressure regulator and the control block ,it didn't take to long to find roughly where this one came from as the was a huge puddle of lhm in the battery box my first culprit is this hose I didn't try to find out which one it was yet as the was so much fluid loss I didn't want to try to put any pressure through the hydraulics with that little fluid, but ill get some soon and it wont be hard to find the culprit, the second leak was hard to find, this was underneath the nearside of the front subframe and it dripped all the way down this cover(I'm not sure what its call thought) .my first enquiry was to se if the break doser was leaking but from the top of the engine bay the where no puddles dripping down from where I could see, so this one left me a bit puzzled as I'm not sure how I would find this leak and was wondering if any of you guys had dealt with this one, as its a bit peculiar just because its really hard to look up into the engine bay from underneath, but anyway I'm looking forward to your replies, my next objective is to find the culprit to the leek in the battery box, speak to you all soon, and have a happy new year
Skull
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroën Xantia XII HDi
Citroën AX XII

Missing AX 1.4D Echo

Post by Skull »

Scottculli Good news that LHM+ is very clean :-D which is a good sign that it was looked after before being parked up.

A short static run shouldn't harm the system and is often the easiest way to find the leak 8-[

That hose with the kink doesn't look standard to me (especially with those connectors) :?:

Good Luck ....
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

Skull wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 20:19 Scottculli Good news that LHM+ is very clean :-D which is a good sign that it was looked after before being parked up.

A short static run shouldn't harm the system and is often the easiest way to find the leak 8-[

That hose with the kink doesn't look standard to me (especially with those connectors) :?:

Good Luck ....
I think you might have a point on that hose being makeshift , as i do remember it just sliding off easily when i was cleaning the battery tray, it may explain the leak,if someone has just used a temporary fix for the return line with non lhm resistant hose which over time has caused it to perish.it would definitely make sense,
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

That hose near the battery tray is definitely not correct. Something else looks strange in that photo, but I can't pick what it is, I will see if I can find a similar photo of another car.

The other leak could be anything, maybe LHM spilled while filling the tank?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The kinked hose is the return from the power steering pressure regulator valve mounted down on the LH chassis leg... It's definitely not supposed to be kinked like that...

The LHM looks well clean!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

xantia_v6 wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 22:44 That hose near the battery tray is definitely not correct. Something else looks strange in that photo, but I can't pick what it is, I will see if I can find a similar photo of another car.

The other leak could be anything, maybe LHM spilled while filling the tank?
Ah a photo would be great it would help give me a understanding on what the repair should look like. but with the other problem, it reminds me more of a leaky tap.when the engine is on after a couple of minutes a small puddle starts to form just lowly dripping of the subframe, just in front of where the drives feet would be, ill get a picture of it so I could explain it better, just its in a bit of a awkward place,
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

CitroJim wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 08:01 The kinked hose is the return from the power steering pressure regulator valve mounted down on the LH chassis leg... It's definitely not supposed to be kinked like that...

The LHM looks well clean!
I was thinking it was weird that the hose was kinkd,because it allways got in the way whenever i took the battery out,and it didnt seem like something citroen would design .i dont think the original fluid would look as green as that, but when I got the engine running and tryd to put it through a thew cycles going up and down,the fluid in the reservoir would plumit so I would top it up, sorry if that was a bit weird I probably should have explained,so all that stuff on the battery tray would be new. I was wondering what type of hose can you get thats lhm resistant? Would you be able to use fule line as a replacement, or would that be to much of a temporary fix.