Berlingo Multispace...is it worth repairing?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

numnuts

Berlingo Multispace...is it worth repairing?

Post by numnuts »

Hello all. I posted recently about my 2005 2ltr hdi Berlingo Multispace losing power. It still runs okay when this happens but wont go above 3000 revs. A local garage told me it was the maf sensor, so I replaced it. It was fine...for half a day then the problem returned. A mate then plugged in his diagnostic machine and it brought up 5 faults. I am including pics of them. My question is; do you think this will be an expensive fix? It has been a great car and is now approaching 140k miles. Much as I like it, I dont want to be spending hundreds of pounds on it. I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance. Tony.
Attachments
20201113_125412.jpg
20201113_125417.jpg
20201113_125422.jpg
20201113_125427.jpg
20201113_125433.jpg
numnuts

Re: Berlingo Multispace...is it worth repairing?

Post by numnuts »

Forgot to add. This may have nowt to do with it, but I had put a bottle of diesel Reddex in the tank a day or two before the problems started.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

OK so both the EGR & MAF faults can go hand in hand with each other, There is no feedback sensor on the EGR on this engine so it uses the MAF (not very well admittedly) to know what the air flow is doing.
Was it a branded MAF or a euro car parts special?
Does your fault reader have a live data function? this would be my first step to diagnosing this problem.
Get the engine running for at least 10 minutes then let it idle what airflow reading are you getting? after you have that have it idling & watch the airflow reading when you pull the vacuum pipe off the EGR valve, what does the reading change to?
Are you getting any smoke from the exhaust?
numnuts

Post by numnuts »

Thanks for that. Im afraid that all sounds a bit beyond me if Im honest. Wouldnt know were the pipe was and wouldnt be able to interpret the readings. I did notice some smoke on acceleration on the motorway recently. Maybe its best to book it into a garage.
numnuts

Post by numnuts »

The sensor was an online special, yes.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

numnuts wrote: 14 Nov 2020, 08:56 Im afraid that all sounds a bit beyond me if Im honest. Wouldnt know were the pipe was and wouldnt be able to interpret the readings.
Its really not that hard at all, I will find a pic online with the location. As for interpreting the readings I will look at your reading to see whats going on.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

So this is the best pic i could find online. Obviously this engine has been removed from the car & you are looking at the back of the engine, the EGR vac pipe is at the arrow on the right & the EGR valve is the circular thing the pipe leads to on the right. If you are looking at the engine from the engine bay it will be roughly in line with the oil cap & it can be a bit awkward to get into.
If you cant manage to do disconnect the EGR plug at least get the idling reading.
Attachments
egr.jpg
numnuts

Post by numnuts »

Thanks a lot. Thats very kind of you to go to that trouble. Will have a play over the weekend if it ever stops raining (Im in Manchester). I have managed to book it in at a well respected local garage on Monday. They are going to have a look and give me a quote. Thanks again.
numnuts

Post by numnuts »

Managed to locate the egr. Also found a random disconected plug...slightly disconcerting. I will add pics. Do you reckon its worth taking the egr pipe off and cleaning it? Thanks.
numnuts

Post by numnuts »

Here are the pics.
Attachments
20201114_104216.jpg
20201114_104225.jpg
numnuts

Post by numnuts »

Sorry...ignore the first pic.😆
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I wouldn't touch the EGR system yet, the EGR valve itself is normally fairly trouble free on this engine, we are just going to use it to check the MAF is reading correctly. It's the inlet manifold that gets clogged up by the EGR valve anyway. I have seen the part of the manifold where the air enters less than half its original diameter all clogged up with EGR gunge.
Yes upload a pic of the connector.
numnuts

Post by numnuts »

Its uploaded now. Its in the top left hand side of the engine bay as you look at it. Not that far from the egr valve.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Looks like the plug for one of the vacuum electrovalves, there are 2 on the 90bhp version & 3 on the 110bhp. cant remember which colour is which. Cant remember where in the engine bay they are on the berlingo but they look like the pic below, locate them & check they are plugged in. they would normally log a fault code if disconnected though.
It could also be a standard harness from both versions so could be an unused one for a 110bhp version.
Attachments
ev.jpg
numnuts

Post by numnuts »

Got it into the garage today and the first thing the mechanic said was to ditch the crappy aftermarket maf sensor snd buy a quality one. Fair enough. Been trying to find one but Eurocarparts only seem to offer a Haas one. Does anyone know whether these are any good? Thanks.