Easy Oil Change

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Easy Oil Change

Post by mickthemaverick »

Well the last fortnight's quarantine yielded me a list of jobs which I have completed successfully this morning with the service on the C5. I completed a normal oil and filter change on SWMBO's Celerio on Monday which is not fitted with an under engine cover. Sadly the C5 is and that makes the job a whole lot more awkward when you work at home. I have had an oil sucker in the workshop since rallying days when we used to replace half the oil every event and so I decided to avoid the under engine cover issue altogether and use the sucker for the oil change today.

Firstly I have to put the front of the car up on the ramps to make it level for the oil removal:
Car levelled on my sloping drive
Car levelled on my sloping drive
Then just pop the bonnet, remove the dipstick and insert the suction pipe making sure you get to the bottom of the sump. Then pump the vacuum and wait and watch, it takes a fair few cycles to empty the sump and much time passes. I make use of that time by checking the pads and discs and replacing the air filter, popping back for a few more pumps from time to time. I then cleaned and lubed the door hinges and tailgate catch and other checks until I heard the sucking sound from the tube telling me it was sucking air with the oil. At this point I tend to add a few more pumps and then jiggle the pipe around to make sure I have removed the vast majority of the oil.:
The suction system in place
The suction system in place
Then its time for the oil filter. I place a huge cloth, usually an old bedsheet, under the filter housing and poked into the areas below where oil may run and then use my three pronged filter removal tool to undo the filter. Fit the replacement as usual and refill with the oil I bought from James' link a few weeks ago. Start, run and stop then recheck and top up as necessary and the service is complete. I have to say the sucker takes 40-45 minutes to do the full empty and on putting the waste oil into an empty can I can confirm it removed 4.8 litres which is almost all it should have and the filter was half full which I forgot to put into that can for measurement, pouring it into the can from the Celerio's service on Monday. So I am happy enough that I have completed a 97%+ oil change and, although it does take a lot more time, I found it much easier than removing the grotty under engine cover and draining it conventionally!!

My oil filter removal tool is ideal for this car with just the right amount of space to use it!!:
Filter removal tool
Filter removal tool
So here's to another year's motoring allowing for lockdown!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Easy Oil Change

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent work Mick! It certainly makes a potentially messy job a little cleaner...

I've a big oil drain pan I use to catch all the drips when doing a filter... before I had such a luxury I used a giant-sized cat litter tray for the job and still use it for the equally messy job of draining coolant :D

I always remember being asked in the pet shop what sort of cat it was for...

I said 'Jaguar...'

:)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I nearly came unstuck whilst using my suction drainer on one of the fleet here. I shoved it down the dipstick tube and commenced suction, but when I came to removing the pipe it wouldn't come out. I was nearly on the point of dropping the sump to remove it from the bottom but with a little extra 'persuasion' it came free. I now put the hairdryer up on ramps and do it the old fashioned way #-o
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Nice old C5 that Mick..............proper rugged things.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Yes thanks Lexi, it certainly ticks all the boxes for me!! :-D
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

You don't drink tea whilst the oil is being sucked out? That's a little odd
Oh buggle
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Indeed not!! :-D A legacy of my first workshop which I had for around 7 years with no kettle so I just got used to working straight through and then coming home for a beer!! :)
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

I used to like tea a lot now we drink decaffeinated tea I'm not so bothered. I have a 4 liter pela pump it's too small so its seldom used. I'm not allowed ale any more either getting old can be boring
Oh buggle
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's the law to have a drink continuously on the go when working on cars... I don't drink tea but always have a big black decaff. coffee on the go ;) Can't work without it!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I guess that makes me an outlaw then, might as well buy a bow and arrow and go help the poor!! :-D
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Didn't I see a large tea urn in the rafters of your garage, Jim when I was there once? You know, when Chris was having a 'heated discussion' with that rotary engine? I thought I saw both a standard dispensing system (for cups of tea) and an IV system (for a high speed 'hit').
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 07:59 Didn't I see a large tea urn in the rafters of your garage, Jim when I was there once? You know, when Chris was having a 'heated discussion' with that rotary engine? I thought I saw both a standard dispensing system (for cups of tea) and an IV system (for a high speed 'hit').
That Mazda RX-8 engine brings back some memories James :-D I'd have loved to have rebuilt it but the cost would have exceeded the value of the car :(
mickthemaverick wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 07:55 I guess that makes me an outlaw then, might as well buy a bow and arrow and go help the poor!! :-D
Highwayman Mick :lol:
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Here's a coffee in its rightful place Mick👍🙂
Yum..
Yum..
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Nice bit of product placement there Jim :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 15:07 Nice bit of product placement there Jim :)
😃 Now to see of they'll pay me for the valuable advertising I did for them 😉

Better not tell them it was finest ground Illy coffee properly brewed in one of those glass French things I can neither spell nor pronounce 🤣
Jim