Citroen Relay X244 Turns Over but Won't Start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tom_W
My Cars: Renault Clio
Pe
Mk1 & 2 Renault Laguna
Renault Grand Scenic
Citroen Relay Camper

Citroen Relay X244 Turns Over but Won't Start

Post by Tom_W »

Hi All,

I'm having trouble with my 2003 Relay 2.2 HDI (and I'm fairly confident I caused it #-o).

A few days ago I replaced the alternator and since then it'll turn over but it won't start. Before I swapped the alternator I disconnected the battery (at the negative terminal) & reattached it again once finished but but since then it just spins over and never catches. It's worth mentioning that before I started working on it I needed to move the van on to the drive and it fired up like normal.

I've checked the alternator is in correctly and the belt is ok, I've also checked the fuses under the bonnet, cleaned the battery terminal & fully charged the battery. I've checked the fuel cut off switch (for no real reason other than clutching at straws) & attempted a BSI reset (although this may have not been done correctly, the info I found online all had a step for the remote central locking key & the van doesn't have it?!?).

I can hear what I think is the fuel tank pump priming when the ignition is turned on and It turns over nice and fast but there is nothing from the exhaust (no puffs of smoke, no smell etc.) it feels like the immobiliser is on but the light on the dash goes off after a few seconds as it normally would.

At this point I'm fairly well out of ideas so any help would be very gratefully received.

Thanks
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Citroen Relay X244 Turns Over but Won't Start

Post by wheeler »

First things first, go back over the job you done & check you have not left anything unplugged or plugged back in the wrong place. Did you disconnect anything on the HP fuel pump to get access?
There is no BSI on this van. If the padlock light comes on & goes off as normal then i would say the immobiliser is working as it should.
Tom_W
Pe
Mk1 & 2 Renault Laguna
Renault Grand Scenic
Citroen Relay Camper

Post by Tom_W »

Thanks wheeler, I'll double check and report back... at least it's not raining yet today.
Tom_W
Pe
Mk1 & 2 Renault Laguna
Renault Grand Scenic
Citroen Relay Camper

Post by Tom_W »

So, mystery solved... it turns out I'd managed pull the wire out of the injector pump!
I just took one of the intercooler pipes off and spotted the plug dangling right next to the pump!

That's a lesson learned.

Thanks again Wheeler!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Oops! Still, at least it was something simple, and did not cost much more than a bit of hassle and time.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Tom_W
Pe
Mk1 & 2 Renault Laguna
Renault Grand Scenic
Citroen Relay Camper

Post by Tom_W »

Yeah, I'm currently somewhere between pleased and embarrassed! Maybe a tad closer to pleased!