C5 X7 fuel filter housing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

C5 X7 fuel filter housing

Post by Peter.N. »

I have just fitted a new fuel filter because the engine would cut out if you pushed it hard, I don't so haven't had a problem but my wife used it who is considerably heavier footed then me and it died on her several times between here and Exeter.

So I fitted a new filter, the old one was covered in what looked like fungus and I had to empty the fuel out through the top as it wouldn't go through the element. Today we had an appointment at the optician, I got down to the village with no problem but as soon as we started going up the steep hill to the A35 it cut out and wouldn't start again, I ran backwards into the hedge unfortunately, not only completely blocking the road but I had to climb across and get out on the passenger side. :oops:

I did eventually get it to start but there were bubbles in the inlet pipe, anyway I managed to get back home and get the other car having phoned the optician and apologised for the delay.

The bubbles are not coming from the input but seem to be getting into the filter somewhere. I notice that there are several firms on ebay selling filter housings. Is this a known problem that I haven't heard about?

Peter
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: C5 X7 fuel filter housing

Post by bobins »

If it's the same filter housing as mine, then they have to be done up F.T. Are the two tabs (one on the lid, one on the body) lined up hard against each other ? The pipe-to-filter connectors can be a little troublesome as well as they ought to be lined up straight.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks. They are very tight to remove and replace, I tightened it up us far as it would go without breaking anything and the pipes were in line, I will check the tabs. Mine only has two pipes and a connector on the top, most of the replacements seem to have three, mine looks like the older pre X7 filter.

Peter
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Peter'

I replaced mine and decided to get it from Citroen it was about £100 but it came with everything to fit.

My old one eventually would not seal due to the thread shredding in the housing. I've kept it think about re threading or drill out and using nut and bolt to secure.

The fuel lines are a PITA and can break when removing. Even had to replace one.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The thread on mine looks OK, I will take it apart and have another look. I'm going to park it with the back high up and see if I can find any leaks.

Peter
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

If there has been fungus in the system it may be prudent to put some biocide in the tank. That carry on with the hedge sounds like something out of Terry and June :shock: You are doing not bad getting out the passenger door. I can hardly get in the drivers door on those X7.......... :-D
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I will bear that in mind, thanks. My wife helped pull me across the center console. :oops:

Peter
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

This morning I had another look at the job and the sun was shining on the clear filter inlet pipe and I could just see a stream of tiny bubbles, so its not the filter, in fact since I changed it the problem is worse. I suspect that the fungi looking gunge in the filter is also in the fuel tank and since I changed the filter it's sucking even harder, hence the air.

I am trying to disconnect the two main pipes from the pick up/sensor assembly but can't get them off, I'm afraid of damaging them. They are different from the filter end which are just press-release, they seem yo have a small tab that you can pull up which then releases the 'u' section underneath, but having done that the pipes still won't shift.

What am I doing wrong?

Peter