Remember these.? All our yesterdays

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I've seen raw milk vending machines on our travels, and this site gives some locations around the country where you can get it. Remember getting a couple of bottles of "green top" from a farm near Levisham Yorkshire Moors when we were camping behind the pub!

https://themilkstationcompany.co.uk/mil ... &radius=25
eg
https://www.udderlyfreshrawmilk.co.uk/

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Watching the Test Match today I started thinking about how we used to sharpen our batting and fielding reactions by practicing with a "Wham-O SuperBall". That lead me to wonder if the ones we used:
BFTW
BFTW
(purchased by my Father with a half-crown from which he got change but I don't know how much!)
are still available today? I had a look and sure enough for a princely sum around £6.50 you can get one of these:
BFTW
BFTW
The question is should I? :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Remember the super bouncer well Mick, and probably used it much like yourself throwing it against the side of the house trying to avoid the windows. I fear though that zectron may have had its very successful day. If you go out in your street you could with a little skill bounce the Sky Ball over your house and into the back garden. Apparently they claim its bounces "up to" 75 feet in the air.

https://www.vat19.com/item/skyball-maui-toys

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

They look too big to me! You couldn't conceal one of those in your squash shorts and then give your opponent the fright of his life when you serve a bullet :-D :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Well this spoils the symmetry, 15000 views on the thread before this :-D

Had a bit of fun yesterday with a couple of games with our younger generation. Got me thinking with the schools being off in recent times just how important games are in learning. Card games/dice games/dominoes all help with numbers and patterns. Just one little moment when we first started to play monopoly was a case in point. The youngest of our troop right in that fascinating learning stage threw a 6 and 5 with the dice. As well as knowing immediately that it was 11, instead of counting out the "move" with "the car" he moved the car straight to "Pall Mall".

The other thing we did for a bit of outdoor activity was dredging up a litlle playground "race" game which my girls used to play called POLO. Great simple fun :-D
playtime
playtime
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oh gosh I can remember playing Monopoly and hating every second of it :evil:

I've never been into playing games at all... Cards, board, chess or the like I hate with a passion... Once there was a great effort to get me to play chess and bridge... Games I might be good at but I just felt trapped like a caged animal and could never wait for the game to be over before I could be free to get up and move around again!

I think it is because I can't sit still for long and have to be moving around doing something physical rather than sitting doing something mental...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 17:06 Remember the super bouncer well Mick, and probably used it much like yourself throwing it against the side of the house trying to avoid the windows. I fear though that zectron may have had its very successful day. If you go out in your street you could with a little skill bounce the Sky Ball over your house and into the back garden. Apparently they claim its bounces "up to" 75 feet in the air.

https://www.vat19.com/item/skyball-maui-toys

REgards Neil
I remember, if you did it just right, you could put spin on the ball and have it bounce back and forth. The cat got fed up with trying to catch it (as sometimes I would put spin on it, and other times I wouldn't), and walked off in a huff. It was happy chasing ping pong balls, but that ball didn't obey the rules of physics!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 15:10

I think it is because I can't sit still for long and have to be moving around doing something physical rather than sitting doing something mental...
You'd prefer Polo then Jim! (yes not the horsey one but the one for which I put up the rules....was certainly enough of a workout for me!)
Hell Razor5543 wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 15:19
I remember, if you did it just right, you could put spin on the ball and have it bounce back and forth. The cat got fed up with trying to catch it (as sometimes I would put spin on it, and other times I wouldn't), and walked off in a huff. It was happy chasing ping pong balls, but that ball didn't obey the rules of physics!
and if you are not there already James well worthy of your 1000th like.... :-D Well done.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 15:28
CitroJim wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 15:10

You'd prefer Polo then Jim! (yes not the horsey one but the one for which I put up the rules....was certainly enough of a workout for me!)
Definitely the one for me Neil, given a choice :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

We used to play a similar game to your Polo Neil at Scouts. It was called British Bulldog, no idea why, and started with all players lined up on one side of the garden/field with one player elected as "It", usually the smallest, standing in the middle of the field. on the whistle all players charged for the other side and IT man had to catch one. Next pass would have two players "on" catching in the middle and if both successful there would be 4 catchers for pass 3. Obviously this continued until only one man, the winner, remained "free". A few bruises here and there but by jove it was fun!! :-D
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

mickthemaverick wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 18:47 We used to play a similar game to your Polo Neil at Scouts. It was called British Bulldog, no idea why, and started with all players lined up on one side of the garden/field with one player elected as "It", usually the smallest, standing in the middle of the field. on the whistle all players charged for the other side and IT man had to catch one. Next pass would have two players "on" catching in the middle and if both successful there would be 4 catchers for pass 3. Obviously this continued until only one man, the winner, remained "free". A few bruises here and there but by jove it was fun!! :-D
That sounds a bit (but not much) like the Indian game Kabadi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabaddi
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 18:47 We used to play a similar game to your Polo Neil at Scouts. It was called British Bulldog, no idea why, and started with all players lined up on one side of the garden/field with one player elected as "It", usually the smallest, standing in the middle of the field. on the whistle all players charged for the other side and IT man had to catch one. Next pass would have two players "on" catching in the middle and if both successful there would be 4 catchers for pass 3. Obviously this continued until only one man, the winner, remained "free". A few bruises here and there but by jove it was fun!! :-D
Yes I remember that too...bit rougher than POLO. It was fun playing polo and I did come up with a bit of creativity when the category was "things that have legs" and I chose "FA Vase Semi-Finals". I wasnt chosen for the race though that went to the more obvious "dog" :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I'll have to research this in the vast resources of Phone Box information on the internet, but it caught my eye today as I was wandering about the Chapel House estate with the dog while waiting to be charged up. I guess Chapel House was pretty well planned as a Community with associated shops schools, and the ubiquitous estate pub, which equally as ubiquitously in current times has turned into a Supermarket Tesco in this instance.

So heres the phone box, more modern than the old traditional K style
A rapidly disappearing bit of pavement furniture
A rapidly disappearing bit of pavement furniture
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I came across this card recently, it's where I used to work in the '50s.
Attachments
Queensway Radio.jpg
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 23:43 I came across this card recently, it's where I used to work in the '50s.
Oh magic :D Back in the days when so many radio and TV dealers were also cycle dealers...

All stemming from the days when you'd take your wireless LT (filament) accumulator to the local bike shop to be charged... In the days when not every home enjoyed having mains electricity... We take it for granted now but it's a surprisingly recent thing...

It was a logical move for bike shops to become wireless dealers too...
Jim