ET6G gearbox fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steenschalls
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 HDI automatic Estate 2006
VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] 76748106

ET6G gearbox fault

Post by steenschalls »

Hello dear Friends

I have a C3 Picasso with semi auto gear box. I have now the service lamp on, unable to extinguish, in the display I have engine and gearbox fault, but no engine fault symbol. The engine seems to function normally with power and revs.
When I set the gear lever in auto and drive, it will not shift out of 1 gear. I can manually shift up to 3 gear. If I then go neutral with gear lever and back to manual I can shift up to 6th gear, Going down in speed it comes normally back to 1st gear. I have a P171A fault in Lexia, but NO ABS or BRAKE fault.

VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
192000 km
Best regards
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: ET6G gearbox fault

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Steen

Your Gearbox ECU has gone into a backup mode caused by the fault.

P171A means there is coherence fault in the CAN and brake wiring and this will prevent gears above third being selected.

Suspect areas:
  • Gearbox ECU
  • Sealing of the connectors and harnesses
  • 28-way connector of the piloted manual gearbox ECU
  • 28-way harness of the piloted manual gearbox ECU
  • Brake switch
First thing I would do is check or replace your brake switch as this is the easiest and cheapest option. Have you had any work done on it lately? If the gearbox ECU connection has been disturbed that can also be a candidate.

When this mode is engaged, it's usual only to start the engine with the gear selector in manual mode and in Neutral with presses on the brake pedal.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
steenschalls
(Donor 2020)

Post by steenschalls »

Thank you for your reply. Brake sw changed, still same fault. Both front shock absorbers changed recently. But the gear box had no faults for about a week after the repair? I have no ABS or brake fault

Regards
Steen
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So 2 things:

1) When you replaced the brake switch, check the locking of the brake switch: The force required for locking is slight at the start of the quarter turn and goes beyond the point of resistance at the end of the quarter turn to validate the locking. If it's not locked properly it can cause an operating fault.

2) The next thing I would check considering the work you have done is to check all the electrical connectors to the piloted Gearbox ECU. One of the recommendations and could easily of been disturbed or damaged during the repairs.

I have highlighted the 28 pin connector to the gearbox ECU below with a green arrow. Check this connection, and also the gear engagement (10) and gear position (11) sensors shown:
steen.PNG

Marc
steenschalls
(Donor 2020)

Post by steenschalls »

I cannot find any fault on wiring or connectors. Now there is a fault code P1445, particulate filter full. Can this lead to the gearbox back up mode?
Regards Steen
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No, that won't effect the gearbox, only the engine ECU at some point, because P1445 means your particle filter is at end of life. The volume free in the particle filter is not sufficiently large enough and iot will be necessary to replace the particle filter at the next service interval.

It means that the maximum amount of additive fluid has been pumped into the system and the compounds that cannot be burnt off like Cerine, ash and engine / oil deposits, hydrocarbons etc., are clogging the filter. You can get it cleaned - but it will never get all of these elements out.

Your gearbox issue is separate.

Marc
steenschalls
(Donor 2020)

Post by steenschalls »

Dear friends

The gear problem is now solved after extensive trouble shooting at the local Citroen dealer. The fault was in the generator. The charging was fine, but there is a direct connection from generator to gearbox computer, because of the installed start-stop system. This output from the generator was missing. The service lamp warning has also gone, and the car is now driving as a new one.
Thank you for your inputs

regards Steen
Peter kali
My Cars: Peugeot 5008: 2010 1,6, 80kw A6
Chevrolet lacetti: 2004 1,4, 70kw

Post by Peter kali »

steenschalls wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 08:28 Dear friends

The gear problem is now solved after extensive trouble shooting at the local Citroen dealer. The fault was in the generator. The charging was fine, but there is a direct connection from generator to gearbox computer, because of the installed start-stop system. This output from the generator was missing. The service lamp warning has also gone, and the car is now driving as a new one.

regards Steen
Zdravím, Ja mám Peugeot 5008 ročník 2010. Mám ten istý problém len s prevodovkou.
Cez diagnostiku ELM 327 v mobilnej aplikácií mi našlo chybu (kód P171A). Počas jazdy mi niekedy zasvieti kontrolka žltý trojuholník s výkričníkom a na displeji ukáže Chybná prevodovka a potom samo od seba sa preradí napr. z 5 na 3 stupeň rýchlostí. Teraz už druhý deň jazdím na manuál s rých. pákou a pri zastavení auta mi aj tak automatický preradí na 1 stupeň aj keď jazdím na manuál. ide to dobré. Prosím Vás ak ste mali ten istý problém s prevodovkou a dali ste to opraviť, tak aká bola chýba a koľko ste platili za opravu ??????? Vopred Vám ďakujem
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Peter kali wrote: 14 May 2021, 15:01
steenschalls wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 08:28 Dear friends

regards Steen
Zdravím, Ja mám Peugeot 5008 ročník 2010. Mám ten istý problém len s prevodovkou.
Cez diagnostiku ELM 327 v mobilnej aplikácií mi našlo chybu (kód P171A). Počas jazdy mi niekedy zasvieti kontrolka žltý trojuholník s výkričníkom a na displeji ukáže Chybná prevodovka a potom samo od seba sa preradí napr. z 5 na 3 stupeň rýchlostí. Teraz už druhý deň jazdím na manuál s rých. pákou a pri zastavení auta mi aj tak automatický preradí na 1 stupeň aj keď jazdím na manuál. ide to dobré. Prosím Vás ak ste mali ten istý problém s prevodovkou a dali ste to opraviť, tak aká bola chýba a koľko ste platili za opravu ??????? Vopred Vám ďakujem
Please post in English as this is a British forum and the majority of members do not have a second language and where they do, a Slavic language is a rarity.
You can use a translator, e.g. Google Translate, to do this.
As:-
Hi, I have a Peugeot 5008 in 2010. I only have the same problem with the transmission.
I found an error (code P171A) via the ELM 327 diagnostics in the mobile application. While driving, sometimes the control indicator illuminates a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark and the display shows Faulty gearbox and then it shifts by itself, e.g. from 5 to 3 gears. Now, the next day, I go to the manual with fast. lever and when the car is stopped, it still automatically shifts to 1 gear even when driving to the manual. it's going well. Please, if you had the same problem with the transmission and had it repaired, what was it missing and how much did you pay for the repair ??????? Thank you in advance
Peter kali
My Cars: Peugeot 5008: 2010 1,6, 80kw A6
Chevrolet lacetti: 2004 1,4, 70kw

Post by Peter kali »

Hi, I have a Peugeot 5008 in 2010. I only have the same problem with the transmission.
Through the diagnostics of ELM 327 in mobile therapy, I made a certain error (code P171A). While driving, sometimes the control indicator illuminates a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark and the display shows Wrong transmission. Then she shifts herself, e.g. From 5 to 3 gears. Now the next day I'm going to the manual quickly. lever and when the car is stopped, it still automatically engages 1 gear even when driving to the manual. it's going well. Please, if you had the same problem with the transmission and had it repaired, what was missing and how much did you pay for the repair ??????? Thank you in advance
zack
My Cars: Citroen C4 2012 (B7) 1.6 Diesel (9HR), 132K miles in 'Fluid Grey' (but only if the 'fluid' is snot!)

Post by zack »

Hi All,
I'm having exactly the same symptoms. Your comments have been extremely useful, and the only place (including dealers) I've been able to find useful information.
I've a new brake switch coming tomorrow, and I'll see how that goes. If not, I'll be trying to find a workshop manual to trace the LIN wiring from the alternator to the gearbox.

Fault codes:
P171A | brake signalFault (Switch/CAN)
U1133 | LIN Network The Reversible Alternator Is Confirmed Absent
U1134 | LIN Network No Communication With The voltage Retaining Device
U1400 | Alternator Lin Network: Registering Of A Fault On the The Lin Network

Alternator charges the battery fine, but only at 13.4V when the engine's running, Battery is at 12.6V when the car's off.
Start/Stop hasn't worked for years!