On your Bike

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: On your Bike

Post by CitroJim »

Fake Concern wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 19:53
CitroJim wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 13:52 Spotted during yesterday's ride...

A recumbent with a visibility flag...

I've always fancied having a ride of one of these... They can be very fast due to the superior aerodynamics over a standard bike...
I got overtaken by one of these on a long downhill, then I overtook it on the uphill and didn't see it again.

I was on a Brompton...
:shock: 8-)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

bobins wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 10:11
Basically, he's a much safer version of Colin Furze :lol:
I think this video may change that view bobins :-D

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

You think ??? :rofl2:

Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

I've just ordered one of these for Sammy... a Frog Road 67, though from a stockist, and in black, not white or blue. Can't find a picture of the black one!

https://www.frogbikes.co.uk/Road-Bike-Frog-67?whence=
Attachments
From Frog's website
From Frog's website
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Michel wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 22:00 I've just ordered one of these for Sammy... a Frog Road 67, though from a stockist, and in black, not white or blue. Can't find a picture of the black one!

https://www.frogbikes.co.uk/Road-Bike-Frog-67?whence=

I'd loose those toeclip pedals as soon as you can Mike... Get Sammy into Shimano SPDs when he's ready to be cleated ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

CitroJim wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 08:55
I'd loose those toeclip pedals as soon as you can Mike... Get Sammy into Shimano SPDs when he's ready to be cleated ;)
Too busy on the roads around here for me to let him loose in cleats for a good while yet .I can cope with riding with him when he can get his feet down..
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

As I’m now going to have to go out on the road again with Sammy to get some more speed and strength in him, I’ve had to buy road bike for myself.

A trip to RAF Benson ended with me buying a secondhand Giant SCR3 of unknown vintage - I’m guessing it’s 12 years old. It’s been well used for sure, but is all there and all works. It needs a service, a set of brake blocks front and rear, and the puncture on the front wheel repairing. I got it home about 5 and have done all but the front puncture. Need to swap my SPD pedals into it as my shoes have SPD , not SPD-SL cleats.

Here it is in its well-worn glory... not bad for £75!
Attachments
Own work
Own work
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Michel wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 23:01 Here it is in its well-worn glory... not bad for £75!
That's a bit of a bargain Mike, do enjoy :D

And when you fancy a change of scenery, bring it and yourself up here and I can show you some excellent cycling countryside around here :)
Jim

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

helo all, been a little quiet over the summer on here, glad to see some more peoples on the fcf cycle crew!
very lucky to grab the giant road bike for £75! prices have been completely Daft down here, what was a £40 on a good day bike has suddenly become £125!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Timmo, great to see you again :)
Timmo wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 12:07prices have been completely Daft down here, what was a £40 on a good day bike has suddenly become £125!
Up this way all our bike shops look like they've been burgled :shock: There's been a real shortage of new bikes, such is the popularity...

Now that the cooler and wetter weather is here I wonder if that same popularity will continue...

I find I'm spending more and more time on the Turbo riding around the Zwift virtual worlds already!
Jim

Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

Timmo wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 12:07 very lucky to grab the giant road bike for £75!
I know, couldn’t believe it when it came up on FB marketplace. I was *very* sceptical of it being not dodgy. Picked it up from RAF Benson, chap had it for years and being posted abroad. It’s a bit scruffy but now I’ve put new brake blocks on it, a new rear quick release skewer, given it a clean and lube and a new saddle, it is spot on.

Bike prices have gone crazy - I’ve been looking for ages, but I’m not paying silly money.

Also appears that stores (Decathlon, Halfords, LBS) are using the pandemic as an excuse to let stock levels fall and not replenish. I had to go to all 3 yesterday to get the bits I wanted. One place didn’t even have brake blocks for cantilever brakes!
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

CitroJim wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 17:06
Up this way all our bike shops look like they've been burgled :shock: There's been a real shortage of new bikes, such is the popularity...
Yes, I think there was at the start of the pandemic but I get the impression that now, stores aren’t restocking as quickly. Decathlon was a state yesterday - hardly anything, including “standard” spares. Pissed me off as the website said all I wanted was in stock in Reading. They had 1 of the items.. No brake blocks, no bar-end plugs. Halfords had the brake blocks but not other bits either. I had to go the the LBS where I paid a tenner for a set of bar end plugs that would have cost me £3.99 in Decathlon had their website been right..
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

One of my grandsons works in a small bike shop and they are rushed off their feet.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Is it time for me to finally get that old Grifter bike out the back of the barn and do it up ? :) Last time I looked it just needed cables, tyres, and a comprehensive decontamination and clean :P
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Just back from a walk-push-ride-freewheel around the Northumberland countryside. Lovely fresh air, bright sunny afternoon bit cool on the downhill freewheels. Last bit was an uphill stretch, and yes I am no masochist, I was pushing the old velo. The road is a bit dangerous there vehicles going too fast uphill and downhill and a bit on the narrow side, and as I noticed when I was walking up the hill an absolutely awful road surface for grip. Its as smooth as anything and has the appearance of black marble (photo below).

Anyway you regular cyclists puffing and panting away in the traffic what is worst;

a bit of diesel exhaust
or
the lingering stench of three two-stroke motocycles having their nuts revved off going past you uphill.

Er...that was the previous couple of hours fresh air benefit gone in a minute!
Smooth country roads
Smooth country roads
Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 07 Oct 2020, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey