LDS Level

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PeeBee
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: C5 (X7) Exclusive Auto 2ltr Petrol 6/2008 : Vin- VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Ford Mondeo Titanium Auto Diesel 5/2013

LDS Level

Post by PeeBee »

I checked my LDS level in the reservoir of my C5 X7 today with the suspension on the low setting and I couldnt see any fluid. As a result I decided to top it up with Total LDS (Orange Colour) fluid and after a litre had gone in I began thinking to myself that I am doing this wrong!.
I came and trawled through the FCF site and found a reference to the correct level as being able to just see the fluid in the very bottom of the filter basket of the reservoir . As a result I commenced to top up with more fluid until the said level was achieved. It took just under 2 litres of fluid !. Yes, 2 litres!. I havent noticed any leaks when the car has been up on a ramp.
I have only owned the vehicle for a couple of months and havent experienced any suspension or steering problems prior to topping the fluid up or (as I write) none since. I am aware that the steering rack was replaced 12 or so months ago and a front strut about the same time.

So my query is am I correctly topping up the LDS to the correct level or have I overfilled it and what will be the likely outcome if I have overfilled it ?. And just to confirm yes the suspension was on its lowest setting when I topped up the fluid.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: LDS Level

Post by GiveMeABreak »

As long as you are positive you have put the suspension in the lowest setting, are on flat ground and left it to fully settle, then switch the engine off and top it up to the marks shown here between A and B:
LDD MK III.PNG
If it has taken 2 litres and you are sure it was on this setting, then a leak has previously or is occurring.

I suggest you put some cardboard under the engine, underneath the steering rack pinion area and leave it overnight. Then check in the morning to see if there is a patch of oil anywhere. Also manually check the suspension struts or near the LDS tank seams to see if there is any indication of a leak.

It is also possible that the LDS tank may have a split in it - if the previous owner has not followed the guidance and released the LDS tank cap prior to raising the vehicle off the ground where the wheels will be hanging loosely!

Guidance and stickers here:

viewtopic.php?t=62058
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
PeeBee
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: C5 (X7) Exclusive Auto 2ltr Petrol 6/2008 : Vin- VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Ford Mondeo Titanium Auto Diesel 5/2013

Post by PeeBee »

Thanks Marc, it appears as though I have topped it up to the correct level I am relieved to know. Its currently just below 'A' and fluid can just be seen at the bottom of the reservoir tank mesh.
I have checked the reservoir for leaks and all the pipework in the engine bay and everything is dry. At the moment there is no oil stain on the ground under the vehicle but when I can I will get the vehicle up in the air and examine the struts.
A front strut was replaced in June 2019 as an MOT fail and there are no further advisories in the last mot in 2020. I would most certainly have noticed any oil leak or stains on the ground in the last 8 or so weeks that I have owned the vehicle for. Time will tell !.

Paul
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No problem - but do be aware of raising it off ground with wheels hanging freely - guidance is in the link above
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc