Mick's Motoring September Stroll

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Mick's Motoring September Stroll

Post by mickthemaverick »

At the risk of exposing my total ignorance of the music world after 1975 I can say without doubt that I have never heard of any of the bands on that Rock Tree Paul. :shock: but I am quite happy to remain in blissful ignorance :) and listen to that which was produced before 1975 cos at least I know some of the words then! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

If you could see the finer print of that Rock Family Tree, Mick, you might start recognising some names. Holly Johnson is in there - you must have heard of Frankie Goes To Hollywood ? Ian Broudie - he formed The Lightning Seeds. There's Echo and the Bunnymen - shirley you've heard of them ? :-D Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - they're in there. Bill Drummond - he formed a little pop/beat combo called The KLF who were famous for doing a few things :lol: Eric's and the whole Liverpool 70s/early 80s scene were actually responsible for an awful lot of British music.
I'm far more interested in the output of Eric's than I am of The Cavern :eek1:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

From the ones you've picked out Bobins I only recognise Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Orchestral Manouvres .... but I couldn't name a single track from either of them. I got married in 73 and we had our first daughter in 75 who was born with a congenital heart condition, transposition of the great arteries and just two heart chambers, and her days were numbered from the beginning. She died just before her 5th birthday so you can understand that the music scene meant nothing to us during those years and I have never really got back into it.! Having said that I still have not got the inkling to get involved with it now as I really believe I was fortunate enough to live through the birth and development of pop music when it was at its best!! :-D
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

bobins wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 22:27 I'm far more interested in the output of Eric's than I am of The Cavern
I like to think that I have a fairly wide appreciation of music across the years and will willingly go to all sorts of gigs featuring music from the fifties to the noughties (just). In fact the most recent gig I went to (just before lockdown) featured The Merseybeats who played quite a few times at The Cavern. (As an aside Tony Crane was present at a funeral I went to last Monday).

But, before we leave Liverpool I have to post this for Bobins. It wasn't there the last time I went down Mathew Street and I was very pleased to see that Eric's was being recognised for the important part it played in the late 70s/early 80s.
IMG_20200916_135249303a.jpg
PS @Bobins. If you want a copy of the PDF then PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Shows my ignorance of the pop world, my name's Eric and I've never heard of them. :-D :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Re: Mick's Motoring September Stroll Day 4 Part 2

Having spent a very enjoyable four hours with Paul we dropped him off and set course for Chester where we were able to grab some passing shots of the local scenes including the Cathedral but we were on the ring road so I have included a borrowed shot for completeness and a very ornate building:
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
BFTW
BFTW
Own work
Own work
Then onto Shrewsbury where the cathedral was off route but we did manage a drive by of Shrewsbury Abbey and then on past Lord Hill's column erected I believe after Waterloo?:
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
After Shrewsbury we headed for Ironbridge to see the famous Iron Bridge in the flesh. When we arrived the place was teeming with coach tourists and absolutely nowhere to park. Because we were running a bit later than intended we elected to settle for a couple of shots from the car and then headed on to the road bridge which we could use to cross the river:
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Driving along the opposite bank didn't yield any further shots so we got back on route and headed for Bridgenorth where we did come across some interesting sights:
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Coming out of Bridgenorth we turned east along some very mundane roads to our overnight stop, The Throckmorton Arms at Coughton where we parked in the deserted car park and headed in to check in. Up to the rooms for a wash and brush up and then downstairs for dinner and some local ales which we discussed the day's adventures. It had been a long but exceptionally enjoyable day and after a couple of pints of our selected tipple, which I confess I cannot remember its name :-D , we decided to plump for an early night prior to the last day which we knew was going to be even longer!!
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Nice place to stop off at Bridgenorth plenty of interest. Also the Severn Valley Railway...but not its car park which at £4 was too steep for me!
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 22:16 The AA with their 19 boxes, 70 odd Village Signs, and Impracticable for motors signs get plenty airing on the FCF. But what about their traditional rivals. Well here's a couple of their old signs still in situ

No attempt at concealment or deviousness but anyone know of the top of their head where these signs are?
Worth a virtual can of Top Deck Limeade and Lager at a push :-D

Regards Neil
These were from Bridgenorth when we were there in 2018. Steve came up with the answer but I dont know if he drank his can of Topdeck Limeade and Lager :-D He did come out with this anecdote of how he knew.
myglaren wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 08:55 https://www.google.com/maps/@52.5341686 ... 312!8i6656
Looks nice there - I used to be a stamp collector and bought most of my stamps from there.
and Gibbo's contribution
Gibbo2286 wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 09:06 Bridgenorth, one of our Sunday day out places from Brum, my brother in law bought a holiday 'bungalow' (a shed in a field') there back in the fifties, had awful trouble with the local planners when he tried to add a septic tank loo.
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Re: Mick's Motoring September Stroll Day 5 Part 1

Following our "in house" meal I had a good night's sleep and woke ready for the final day. The room at Throckmorton Arms was very good although the TV was smaller than the night before:
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
However it did have one extra piece of equipment which I can honestly say I've never used in a hotel room in my life!!:
Own work
Own work
Breakfast was not a success, Bob ordered the usual full english with brown toast and I ordered a bacon sandwich in white. Bob's meal arrived looking a little sorry for itself in the middle of the plate and his white toast was cold. My bacon shared the same thermal deficiency sandwiched between two slices of "yesterday's" brown bread. I didn't bother to photograph them!!

Bills settled we headed out to the car, bizarrely via most of the pub in order to obey the Covid one way exit route, given that we were the only guests at the time!!

Back on the road we headed off to Worcester for our first landmark of the day, the cathedral:
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Followed by an impressive church spire on the way out of town:
Own work
Own work
And a final view of the cathedral from the river bridge:
Own work
Own work
A pleasant drive down to Gloucester brought us to the second cathedral of the day.
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Unfortunately the traffic in Gloucester was horrendous due we think to ad hoc road works for a water main issue. We were now pushed for time as we had an appointment in Lydney with Gibbo and so we decided to settle for the distant drive by picture of the tower above and I have borrowed a full shot from the web for completeness:
BFTW
BFTW
As we left Gloucester we saw another spire which warranted a photo:
Own work
Own work
The next town was Newnham on Severn which has a very pretty clock tower:
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Out of Newnham we headed down to The Bridge Cafe in Lydney for our meet with Gibbo. At this point Bob's finger got out of control and inadvertantly swapped the camera to backward facing as he took the shot of The Bridge Cafe so you may not be able to make it out: :-D
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Once we had parked in the Co-op opposite the cafe we went inside to await Gibbo. Following my disastrous breakfast I ordered a bacon sandwich and a hot chocolate while Bob just had a coffee. Once he had finished his coffee he went for a leg stretch while I finished my sandwich keeping an eye out for Gibbo. As I ordered a second hot choccie the mobile rang and it was Gibbo. His trusty steed had let him down and he couldn't get down to the cafe. He gave me his address and I said we would be with him in 15 minutes or so. Once I had hung up I asked the cafe waitress to put my second drink into a takeaway cup, settled the bill and went to find Bob.

I decided to go to the car to drop off the cup before walking around and bumped into him crossing the road on his way back to the cafe. So we jumped in the car and headed off to find Gibbo's house. We were slightly thrown as the end of his road is guarded but a substantial cattle grid but looking to our right we saw a C5 with driver's door and bonnet open. Parking up in a bay just nearby we were delighted to see Gibbo coming down the drive. Having exchanged greetings we looked into the engine bay to see much fuel where it shouldn't be, but that is as far as we got because our conversation diverted away to more general matters. By the time we said our cheerios we had laughed a lot and we came away with very pleasant memories of a quite amazing chap, especially considering his advance years, not to mention a jar of exceedingly tasty plum jam!! Thanks again Gibbo!! Before we left he gave us a sheet he had prepared for us with information about our ongoing route and I am sure he won't mind me sharing it here, it was very useful on our next bit of the route:
Gibbo's work
Gibbo's work
Gibbo's work
Gibbo's work
We headed off towards Chepstow and that is where I will pick up the story for the last instalment of the Stroll tomorrow! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 25 Sep 2020, 12:07
Unfortunately the traffic in Gloucester was horrendous due we think to ad hoc road works for a water main issue. We were now pushed for time as we had an appointment in Lydney with Gibbo and so we decided to settle for the distant drive by picture of the tower above and I have borrowed a full shot from the web for completeness:
Gloucester Cathedral.jpg
If you had had time to pop into Gloucester Cathedral you may have had a "not a lot of people know that" moment
Gloucester recollections from the FCF POTD Archive, appropriately from July 4th a few years ago.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 04 Jul 2017, 19:18 What links Gloucester with this.....

Defence of Fort M'Henry broadside [Public domain or Public domain], by Francis Scott Key (Scan of a surviving copy from the Smithsonian), from Wikimedia Commons

The tune.....written by John Stafford Smith who has this memorial dedicated to him in Gloucester Cathedral

JohnStaffordSmith01 [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC BY-SA 4.0-3.0-2.5-2.0-1.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by- ... .5-2.0-1.0)], by Edwardx (Self-photographed), from Wikimedia Commons
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Re: Mick's Motoring September Stroll Day 5 Part 2 The Final Steps

Having left Gibbo and pinned his sheet to the map board we went back down to Lydney and turned right for Chepstow, Bob at the wheel and me making a mess of the camera work. As a result I didn't capture a single one of the places on Gibbo's list because I was concentrating on reading the map, following the list, spotting the places and trying to take pictures. Let's face it, us chaps are not known for multi-tasking but here is the miserable output I got on the way to the next river crossing:
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
I did warn both of you!!!

When I planned the route I selected the M48 Severn Bridge because neither of us had ever been over it before, we have always used the M4 bridge further downstream so we were looking forward to yet another previously untrodden river crossing and we were not dissappointed:
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Given our general distaste of Motorways on the Stroll we turned off the M48 at the first opportunity which was only just over the river and then headed up through country roads towards Cotswold Aerodrome our next planned drive by.
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Throughout the Stroll we had not been inconvenienced by Covid at all, excluding the odd pub one way system, and it was when we arrived at Cotswold that we became truly aware of the effect it has had on the aviation industry. Row after row of British Airways Boeing 747s were standing forlorn and forgotten, not to mention numerous other aircraft spread around the field like a WW2 scatter policy. Needless to say such a sight brought the Covid crisis home to us, although it is providing the aircraft spotters with an opportunity to fill in some gaps in their collections:
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Having taken that in we set course for Didcot and our much anticipated tour of the Railway Centre. Not far along the road we came to Fairford and I was impressed with the apparent ingenuity of the locals to get round Covid restrictions. I suspect they had had to cancel a planned Jumble Sale in the village hall but came up with the idea of turning it into a Jumble Trail. It looks like the idea was for the planned stall holders to set up their stalls in their own front gardens and the organisers sold a map to customers showing them where to find the stalls. Obviously that is my supposition from the poster we passed sited next to an extremely well buried tree. I am hoping more arborially (if such a word exists :-D ) aware members can identify the tree?
Own work
Own work
After Fairford we motored on until we reached Didcot. Interestingly I had routed us to the station but as we approached we saw a sign to The Railway Centre and obediently followed the arrow. This took us on an entertaining (not!) drive through an industrial estate emerging at the roundabout where we had first turned off with no further signs!! Hmmmm!! We reverted to the planned route and headed for the station, drove past it and onward to the road out of Didcot, Hmmmm!! A U-turn took us back towards the station where we saw a sign for "Station car park and Railway Centre". Obviously you are only expected to approach the Centre from that direction!! We followed the signs to the main car park for Didcot Station and it was there that we got our second reminder of Covid. Bearing in mind that it was 14.30 on a Thursday afternoon we did not expect the car park to be like this:
Own work
Own work
We wasted another five minutes trying to find a space to park in and eventually settled for an undercover space up near the car park exit. It was a very sunny afternoon and keeping the plum jam fresh was a concern!! Having left the car we followed the pedestrian signage to the 'Station and Railway Centre' and found ourselves going up 2 floors in a lift and then out onto a bridge and down a ramp to the station car park???? I took the opportunity to take the first of many planned photos in Didcot and caught a west country express pulling out of the station from the ramp:
Own work
Own work
The end of the ramp brought a new sign which read 'Entry to the Railway Centre through the Main Station ticket barrier'. We walked into the forecourt/booking hall and saw the barriers to the platforms in front of us. Over we strolled and informed the ticket collector that we wanted to go through to the Railway Centre and he told us to go to the middle turnstile and he would let us through. We had of course donned our Covid gear by now and following his directions we set off through the turnstile, along the tunnel past stairs up to various platforms to the far end where we came out of the tunnel, turned right and walked along a footpath signposted The Railway Centre. The anticipatory excitement was building as was the need to use the loo as soon as we got in. The next right angled bend in the path brought the actual centre gates into view, at last!!! As we approached we noticed that the building beside the gates seemed deserted but we ploughed on, now in urgent need of the gents. Arriving at the gates the last of the signage greeted us 'Opening Hours - Weekends 10.00 - 17.00 Weekdays 10.00 - 16.00 School Holidays Only HMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Suffice to say the weeds around the shed are now either dead or growing profusely!!

Considerably dismayed we retraced our steps along the path and through the tunnel to the barrier. I decided not to even raise it with the ticket collector as I would have ended up calling him names which generally would have been more commonly used to describe Mr Pastry or Mr Bean!! Out of the forecourt we sought refuge in the pub across the road to discuss our next move. Having been pushed for time in the morning it was now even more frustrating to have 4 hours to spare and only 45 minutes needed to get to our dinner appointment with James. We used the first hour having a non alcoholic refreshment and a general chat about the Stroll's highlights and lowlights, of which this was really the only one, and we decided to go on to Henley and have a stroll around and along the river before heading to our dinner pub:
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Eventually we headed up to the pub, arriving 30 minutes ahead of schedule, and took our seats at a very decently sized round table. Again ordering tonic and coke in preparation for a long evening before our final drive, we discussed the week while we waited for James and possibly Michel. James texted to say he was in Henley and on his way and soon after he arrived in a flurry of hellos and laughter as he entered with his cue ready for some post dinner pool action. He told us that Michel was not going to make it so we ordered and sat back and discussed a myriad of subjects while the food was being prepared. As James has already posted, a few minutes before the food arrived the pub was plunged into darkness with a power failure in the local vicinity. We had my phone torch and James' LED equipped baseball cap so we were able to continue as we were. The landlord came out of the kitchen and I asked if they cooked with electricity or gas. "Gas fortunately" he replied with a big grin "Won't be long". By now the landlady had found some candles and brought one to our table so we could enjoy a "romantic candle lit dinner at no extra charge!" Just what we needed! then the food arrived and we all tucked in with relish finally ordering a beer from the local selection and passed a couple of hours of high amusement and entertaining conversation. Sadly we had to call a halt as we still had to get back to Elstree and then Bob to Reading and me to Hertford so we went to the bar to settle up. HMMMM No tills, the landlord made an item by item guess at the prices and arrived at a very amicable total of £43. We gave him £45 in cash and told him to treat the change as payment for the candlelit atmosphere and general bonhomie!! I will be going back there next time I'm in Henley!! The three of us then walked back towards the town together and we came to a point where the street lights were on and the darkness was behind us. A bit further along we said cheerio to James who had parked in a diffent place and headed back to the car for the final leg around the M25. I did of course take one final picture in the darkness before we left the pub so that I could now offer this image to the last remaining reader as a memento of one of the best weeks we have ever had!!:
Own work
Own work
So a final thankyou to Steve, Neil, Paul, Gibbo and James for taking the time to come and meet us and make the whole Stroll such a great holiday for us.
However if anyone has managed to read this far then thankyou too for tolerating my sense of humour and poor camera work and hopefully enjoying the tale of our adventure. There will be more trips to come, so watch this space!! Cheers for now
NewcastleFalcon

Nice write up Mick......I like a bit of shadow art!

Looks like it was a good advert for the red C5 too.....took it in its stride unless there are untold tales! What were the stats at the end in terms of milage done from start to finish?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

There were no car issues whatsoever apart from the previously documented screen issue. Here is the mileage chart comparing the plan to the actual:
Edited to add deviations
Own work
Own work
Last edited by mickthemaverick on 26 Sep 2020, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Well I've managed to read it all through. Don't ask me to take a test though!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 26 Sep 2020, 12:04 Nice write up Mick......I like a bit of shadow art!

Regards Neil
Glad you liked that, I took it intending to post it on POTD but I forgot!! #-o

I have added mileage deviations on each map to the chart above/below.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Paul-R wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 08:49
PS @Bobins. If you want a copy of the PDF then PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy.
Ta for the offer, Paul, but I 'acquired' a PDF copy from a website some time ago. It's not a perfect copy, but good enough for working out who's who :-D It was the price of the proper poster prints that gave me a severe allergic reaction when I looked a few years ago :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(