2009 Peugeot 407sw Biturbo and recommended oil.

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the rabble already onboard. Not compulsory!
Tell us a little about yourself, lie if you have to but keep it to just an introduction, not a car discussion.

Moderator: RichardW

RONDO
My Cars: Own:
1995 Peugeot 405 GL SR 1.8l Signature "Style" - petrol
2009 Peugeot 407 SW 2.2l Twin turbo diesel

2009 Peugeot 407sw Biturbo and recommended oil.

Post by RONDO »

Greetings from France .... ...
I have a 2009 Peugeot 407SW 2.2l biturbo estate ... it has 147K kms on the clock and runs like a rocket on the major highways in France, especially when the Gendarmes aren't paying attention!
I'm up for an oil change this week - having already done one already; had the car less than a year. I'm using the best 5w-30 low SAPS oil I can find locally, Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 5w-30, so please let's not get into an oil discussion. The Diesel here is low sulphur and an ACEA C2/C3, MB 229.51, VW 504.00 / 507.00 standard and approvals is better than anything Peugeot can put in there ...
Somehow ... beyond me seemingly arrogant intro to the post, (please excuse me) ... I have the urge to use a ECT 5w-40 oil in this vehicle. Here's my thinking on it and by all means jump right in there with yeas or nays:
A "normal" 2.2L engine (without DPF and turbos) would be smooth as silk using a synthetic 5w40 oil.
1) So ... with a DPF system and Cat converter added; would it be ok to use a synthetic ECT 5w-40 with cert and approvals mentioned above?
2) Is a synthetic 5w40 oil too thick for the twin turbos - remembering that the turbos operate separately from each other, one kicking in at 2,500 rpm and the other kicking in at 3,000 rpm, thereby offering a smooth increase in power when needed.

My main concern is when the turbos are cold and/or hotter than Guy Fawkes's pants: do the turbos and related gear absolutely need a thinner oil. Thinner oil does have more flow, I think, but please indulge me in the 5w40 that I would assume would provide a quieter ride and better engine protection for the long run.

See; clear as mud!
Let's hear it ... there are thousands of 407 owners waiting for your replies!
RONDO
RONDO
My Cars: Own:
1995 Peugeot 405 GL SR 1.8l Signature "Style" - petrol
2009 Peugeot 407 SW 2.2l Twin turbo diesel

Re: 2009 Peugeot 407sw Biturbo and recommended oil.

Post by RONDO »

Bump! Not one reply in eight months? C'mon ... [-X You have now been officially shamed ...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: 2009 Peugeot 407sw Biturbo and recommended oil.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think you answered your own question there.... asking for advice in one sentence and then declining any debate in another - so that's not going to encourage replies.

However, if you pop your VIN up I will certainly be able to advise on the correct oils that can be used. I need this to ascertain correct engine code and it will be automatically masked from public view on post submission.

For reference, as far as oil goes, the ACEA standards indicate minimum oil performance. The requirements imposed do not correspond to the oil performances recommended by Peugeot, Citroen or DS. These standards are only a basis for performance and therefore ACEA standards do not meet PSA requirements.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc