Mick's Motoring September Stroll

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Mick's Motoring September Stroll Day 4 Part 1

Post by mickthemaverick »

Day 4 dawned a little grey and as I went down to prepare the car I could see the sea mist rolling in. Bob joined me and we cleaned the glass, checked the tyre pressures and sorted the maps for our run to Liverpool. Then we went in for breakfast where Bob consumed his usual full english but I decided to go continental for a change and had two delicious croissants with local butter, while taking in the feature wall in the dining room:
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
After breakfast I needed the loo which meant a walk through the bar that we had bypassed the previous evening, Murphy was at work again, given that both Bob and my favourite beers are Sharp's Doom Bar and Eagle's Bombardier, I was not in the least surprised to discover the house beers which we had missed:
Own work
Own work
and on my return I noticed the feature wall in reception:
Own work
Own work

Having settled up we headed outside to find the mist had thickened considerably which didn't worry me as it was Bob's shift at the wheel! :twisted:

Bob has relatives in Preston so he knew the area pretty well and I just kept an eye on the map so I would know where we were when his knowledge expired! We were well on the way to Liverpool by then having skirted the west side of Preston and then down to the docks via Bootle. The mist prevented any scenic photos but I did take this one of a relic from docking days gone by:
Own work
Own work
We had arranged to meet Paul outside The Philharmonic Dining Rooms at 11.00 to enable us to have a stroll round the cathedral area before lunching in the Dining Rooms. I particularly wanted to eat there having seen Paul McCartney's impromptu concert there when he was on James Cordon's Carpool Karaoke, and once we had negotiated Liverpool's one way systems we parked in Hope Street about 80 metres down the road. Paul was waiting for us but I had to pop inside for a pee before we could set off. Most amazing loo I've seen in a pub!!:
Own work
Own work
Suitably relieved I joined the others and we set off to view the local sights, starting with the Catholic Cathedral and then moving on to the Anglican Cathedral and its sunken gardens. In between we visited a mews where John Lennon was reputed to have spent some time but we could find no evidence. I will leave it to Paul to elaborate on these pictures as his knowledge and delivery were fantastic:
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
:-D
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Having been amazed and impressed by the whole place we arrived back at the Dining Rooms for lunch in the most elegant pub dining room I have ever seen:
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
After lunch we had some time to spare so Paul suggested a drive around some of the sights down by the docks and then hopefully find a parking space to go and view Mathew Street which is a pedestrian precinct. During the ride we saw the Liver Building, Cunard's Office, White Star Headquarters, The Passport Office and numerous others which I may mix up so if you are curious post a question up and I'm sure Paul will be able to answer it. We also came across the second 70 reg of the trip! :-D :
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
At last we found a place to park within walking distance of Mathew Street and then came one of the real highlights of the Stroll for me! However due to what appears to be a 50 photo per post limit, imposed by the forum I assume, I will have to end this part here and see you in Mathew Street! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Re: Mick's Motoring September Stroll Day 4 Part 1A

And so we found ourselves in Mathew Street which I had been looking forward to with relish. I think the pictures speak for themselves, although it is worth clicking on and zooming in on the first 7 or so of the Wall of Fame and see if you can find your favourite artists, so here they are:
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Having taken as much in as possible and avoided going into the Beatles Shop for fear of bankrupting myself we walked back to the car and headed for the Kingsway Tunnel, passing the older Mersey Tunnel entrance on the way:
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Shortly after leaving the tunnel we dropped Paul off at the end of his road and carried on to find the Iron Bridge!! We'll catch up there tomorrow!! :-D
Last edited by mickthemaverick on 23 Sep 2020, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: Mick's Motoring September Stroll

Post by Paul-R »

Brilliant set of photos there Mick. Shame about the tramp who wandered into a couple of shots!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Matthew Street was a bit of a revelation.

Eric's!

I have a Yazoo album lurking here somewhere called "Upstairs At Eric's" and had no idea where it was - I presumed San Francisco for no particular reason.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Paul-R wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 13:52 Brilliant set of photos there Mick. (Cheers) Shame about the tramp who wandered into a couple of shots!
He was following us around all the time, really good bloke!! :-D It's worth zooming in on the Wall of Fame pics as the resolution is good enough to read all the names. :-D
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

myglaren wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 14:38Eric's!
I was telling Mick that I had never been to the original Cavern but I did go to Eric's. Lots of times. And its successor Brady's.

You know they say that if you can remember the sixties you weren't really there? Well, for me it's the (late) seventies. I know I saw a bunch of bands and artists over the years but can only remember the names of a few: Deaf School, Jonathan Richman, OMD (several times, right at the beginning), Nash the Slash, Afraid of Mice, John Cooper-Clarke. I know there are more, just can't remember...

BTW, you didn't go upstairs at Eric's. Like The Cavern, Eric's was in a basement to an old warehouse. So you went downstairs. Maybe it does reference somewhere else?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

myglaren wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 14:38 Matthew Street was a bit of a revelation.

Eric's!

I have a Yazoo album lurking here somewhere called "Upstairs At Eric's" and had no idea where it was - I presumed San Francisco for no particular reason.

Actually, it's a different Eric's 8-[ The Eric of 'Upstairs at Eric's' fame actually refers to producer Eric Radcliffe and his home studio.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

That nicely destroys that theory then :(
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Pay attention, this gets convoluted.... :-D

The Eric's venue released Big In Japan's first single back in 1977 (Erics001 IIRC), the 'B' side of which was by a different band called (on this occasion) The Chuddy Nuddies. The Chuddy Nuddies were actually The Yachts. The Yachts evolved in various ways, but some of them formed It's Immaterial. And what should be sitting on my doormat when I get home ? It's Immaterial's first new album in 30 years :)
What are the chances of Eric's venue being mentioned on FCF on the same day that album arrives at Bobins Towers ? :lol:
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

bobins wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 16:42 Pay attention, this gets convoluted.... :-D

The Eric's venue released Big In Japan's first single back in 1977 (Erics001 IIRC), the 'B' side of which was by a different band called (on this occasion) The Chuddy Nuddies. The Chuddy Nuddies were actually The Yachts. The Yachts evolved in various ways, but some of them formed It's Immaterial. And what should be sitting on my doormat when I get home ? It's Immaterial's first new album in 30 years :)
What are the chances of Eric's venue being mentioned on FCF on the same day that album arrives at Bobins Towers ? :lol:
Pretty good, with us prescient lot!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I had occasion to look up 1067 (the year) following Mick putting up his Bayeaux tapestry to coincide with his, at the time, 1066 likes.

One of the fascinating facts which caught my eye was not the Two Ronnies or Eric and Ernie but the two Erics. (1067 was a slow news year after 1066.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1067
Eric and Eric, two pretenders to the Swedish throne, are both killed during the struggle for power in Sweden. Halsten, son of the late King Stenkil, becomes the new ruler.
Useful should it ever crop up on University Challenge!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

At the risk of sending the thread completely off topic there's a Rock Family Tree from some years ago about Eric's and the bands that came out of there. I'd like to post the PDF I made but it's too large so here's a screenshot of the pages.
Screenshot 2020-09-23 21.33.15a.png

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Off topic no Paul, but it is odd that I posted 25 photos of Mathew Street and the one which has generated the most interest is the only one which has no real connection with my reason for posting them all in the first place!!! :-D It's a funny old world!! Part 2 of day 4 tomorrow is highly unlikely to produce anywhere near as much reaction, in fact I doubt if any of the rest of the entire Stroll will except perhaps the very last photo!! :-D
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I'd looked at buying one of those Rock Family Tree prints a few years ago. I saw the price of them.... then thought again :shock: They are all a fascinating read though :)
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Not one, but two copies of that Big In Japan / Chuddy Nuddies single in my collection :-D Time to shovel some coal into the old gramophone player of mine and give them a listen :lol:
Big In Japan - Chuddy Nuddies - own work
Big In Japan - Chuddy Nuddies - own work