Parking Tales and hassles

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Parking Tales and hassles

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

and after some weighty legal matters

Henry Tudor: "The first thing I'm going to do when I become King is build a car park in Leicester"

... Richard III: "over my dead body".
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 15 Sep 2020, 18:16..and youngsters like yourself are embracing it. :-D
Youngsters like me?!!! Do you know how old I am! :lol: :lol: Lets just say I was born in the same year as the Mini and the Ford Anglia 105E :) :lol:

My girls keep me abreast of all this modern technology and the benefits that might accrue :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 15 Sep 2020, 22:40 and after some weighty legal matters

Henry Tudor: "The first thing I'm going to do when I become King is build a car park in Leicester"

... Richard III: "over my dead body".
Regards Neil
:rofl2: :rofl2:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 07:30
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 15 Sep 2020, 18:16..and youngsters like yourself are embracing it. :-D
Youngsters like me?!!! Do you know how old I am! :lol: :lol: Lets just say I was born in the same year as the Mini and the Ford Anglia 105E :) :lol:

My girls keep me abreast of all this modern technology and the benefits that might accrue :wink:
Only a baby yet then Jim, :-D I was born before the VW Beetle started in production.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 08:57 Only a baby yet then Jim, :-D
Ahh, now that would explain why so many accuse me of childish behaviour :roll: :? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

RichardW wrote: 15 Sep 2020, 15:44 In Scotland (currently) these private parking charges are not enforceable, as they can only pursue the driver. So you can just ignore their (increasingly hysterical) letters. Last one we had they gave up after 4🤣
The last 2 I had both sent 10 letters over the space of about a year before giving up, I think number 6 was the funniest, at that point the 'fine' was up to around £200 then it dropped back down to £60 as a last chance 'so they can show the courts they did everything they could before sending it to court' :rofl2: . Obviously getting desperate at this point. You then get 3 letters from fake 'debt recovery' companies. The final one comes from an actual local solicitors & just says can you please pay my client on this number with this reference number.
NewcastleFalcon

So what has a Ford Mondeo got to do with Parking Tales and hassles?

Well it is one of an increasing number of vehicles which are too long for a UK standard parking bay. As you know parking outside of the marked lines of a parking bay, is one of the specified contraventions leaving you open to a Parking Charge Notice in virtually all parking terms and conditions.

https://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/a ... space-size
Wish I had a grey mondeo?.....not really.
Wish I had a grey mondeo?.....not really.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh! The Mondy just gets lardier and lardier :evil:

This headlong rush for bigger and bigger cars is beyond my understanding... They must be a right PITA to drive in most parts of the UK, along narrow, congested roads and looking for sufficient parking space...

In my world, it would be a bloody 'mare! No wonder so many drivers of these behemoths look so flustered, angry and aggressive...

And as for parking it in a domestic garage... No chance...

Surely the drive (pun intended) should be to smaller and more compact... Soon the whole world will be driving around in lorries the way the rend is going! In these days of trying to conserve earth resources and tackling climate change it seems we're going entirely in the wrong direction and using up whats left with reckless abandon :evil:

I'd think the resources used to build one new Mondy-sized lardarse would build at least two Citroen C1s...
Jim

Armidillo
(Donor 2022)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 605 V6 SII
406 D9 SV
Xantia SX wagon SII
Xantia Activa TCT (unregistered)

Post by Armidillo »

Just the same on the other side of the world unfortunately - here is a quote from research into vehicle sales in Australia last year:

"SUVs, or Sports Utility Vehicles, were the top selling type of vehicle in Australia in 2019, capturing 45.5% of the total sales. Up until 2017, passenger vehicles had been the dominant vehicle type sold in Australia for over 15 years. From 2017 onwards, SUV sales have been outstripping passenger vehicle sales, with passenger vehicles sales making up less than a third (29.7%) of total new car sales in 2019." https://www.budgetdirect.com.au/car-ins ... stics.html

Cheers

Alec
NewcastleFalcon

Do you think the AA would mind linking to this shot? The humble Fiat 500 and the monstrous Fiat 500 in comparison.

https://www.theaa.com/~/media/the-aa/ar ... C94FAD7B05

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 11:58 Do you think the AA would mind linking to this shot? The humble Fiat 500 and the monstrous Fiat 500 in comparison.

https://www.theaa.com/~/media/the-aa/ar ... C94FAD7B05

Regards Neil

Likewise the Mini, this might jangle your nerves with the dreadful voice :-D

https://youtu.be/6LA6sZOwSdA
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

With a similar thought in mind to Gibbo I searched for some mini pics to compile this:
BFTW
BFTW
I have to admit searching for "pictures of minis" did yield some unexpected results :-D :
Spoiler: show
BFTW
BFTW
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I wonder if part of the reason for larger vehicles being so popular is due to the increase in size of the average person over the years?

The average person is certainly larger now than say, 50 years ago and given the increase in those who are obese and have concomitant mobility issues then a larger vehicle may well be needed... Physically they'd never get in and out of a 1960s Mini or Fiat 500 :roll:

It's telling when you see those two Fiat 500s together...

Ditto the Mini... Maybe it should now be known as a Maxi - it must be getting on for being as big as the old Maxi!

Mick, your spoiler :shock: 8-) :-D
Jim

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Mick your spoiler is incorrect, that is a micro not a mini :)
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

admiral51 wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 20:11 Mick your spoiler is incorrect, that is a micro not a mini :)
To be fair I didn't say it was a mini, just that it came up when I was searching for "minis". Looks more like a belt to me :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!