Bargain Basement Electric

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Bargain Basement Electric

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The £4500 one was 2014 with 57k miles and an owned battery but it's gone now, there are a few examples here.
I'm surprised at how low the mileages are, lots with under 30k miles.
There are currently 280 Leafs listed from 2011 to the latest.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Leaf- ... SwuwVfWHAl

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Leaf/ ... SwhU1fWWx4

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Leaf- ... SwIQBfV6Ms

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-Nissan- ... SwvvJfEq5B

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-Nissan- ... SwETZfKOt6
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Time to get your cigarette packets out, turn to the back, select a suitable biro, and jot some numbers down and see if you fancy joining the FCF EV Club :-D . Plenty to choose from and some look a little too good eg the 30Kw 2016 Tenka for buy it now £7,310.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Leaf- ... 0009.m1982

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I'l almost go as far as to guarantee that the above listing is a scam. The seller hasn't sold anything in over a year, and yet all of a sudden they've got a load of cars for sale with a 'Buy It Now' price and an email address to contact to buy it - all pretty standard scam stuff. I'd report the scam adverts to eBay if I thought that eBay would take action, but I've given up reporting them as eBay seem content to let a lot of scams run and the buyers get caught out.... at least that's been my experiernce when I've reported them in the past.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I see one of those Leaf's is a Gen 1 - one way to tell is the cream interior.

Gen1 Leaf's were made in Japan and were rather surprisingly not built as well as the Sunderland built Gen2. Gen1 had only one spec level and did not have a Heat Pump, and was also well known for high rates of battery degradation so any Gen 1 Leaf's still on the road are very likely to have a heavily degraded battery by now especially if high mileage. Avoid :)

In Gen 2 there are three spec levels - Visia is the povety spec, Acenta is the middle spec and Tekna is the top spec.

Visia is pretty rare in the UK. The Visia, like the Gen 1, has no heat pump so should be avoided as the range loss in winter when the heater is used will be substantial - like it was in my Ion which also had no heat pump. Visia is missing a lot of features like reversing camera, climate control timer, app remote control etc. A few Visia's did not even have the DC rapid charging socket. IMHO Avoid. :)

Acenta seems to be the most common spec by far, and all the listings I checked above were Acenta. This adds a heat pump, (so much less range loss in winter) much upgraded centre console/radio, climate control timer, app remote control and a few other things. It's a good spec level for a 2nd hand car. Seats are fabric and are not heated.

Tekna is the top spec. It has wider lower profile tyres (unfortunately in a much more expensive tyre size than the Acenta :( ) and adds heated leather seats, heated steering wheel, birds eye camera view (which is pretty neat and great for parking) and bose subwoofer.

Of the three the Acenta is the best value for money although I ended up plumping for the Tekna mainly because I wanted the heated leather (eg small child proof) seats and steering wheel. (!)

As mentioned earlier battery health is key with a 2nd hand Leaf. The most accurate way to measure it is with an Android app called Leafspy together with an OBD-II dongle. This will give (among other useful info) state of health as a percentage. For example mine at the moment is at 91.6%.

There is actually a crude battery State of Health meter on the dashboard in the form of 12 thin bars on the right hand side. (Not to be confused with the wide bars beside them which is just your current state of charge)

12 bars means the SoH is between 85% and 100%, 11 bars is between 79% and 85%, 10 bars is between 72% and 79% SoH, and you're unlikely to find (and would not want to buy) one with less than 10 bars.

So when an advert says the battery has "all 12 bars" in reality all that tells you is that the battery is somewhere between 85% and 100%, with Leafspy being the only way to get a more accurate figure. 85% to 100% State of Health is obviously quite a big range. An older low price high mileage Leaf is likely to only have 11 bars, and whether that's OK or not depends on what you're paying for it, how important range is to you, and whether you're likely to put a lot more miles on the car or not. If you don't need a lot of range one with a moderately degraded but still useful battery can probably be found pretty cheap and I suspect some of the very cheap ones found above fall into this category.

One with a degraded battery will drive exactly the same, the only difference is reduced range as a percentage of new. So a car with 85% State of Health will have 85% of the range which it would have had when it was brand new.

So a 24kWh model at 85% battery health would still do approx 0.85 x 80 or 68 miles while a 30kWh model which was degraded to 85% would still do around 85 miles, which is more than the 24kWh did when new. (About 80 miles) Those figures are all summer range.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
NewcastleFalcon

Furthur to Bobins comments. this other post Bobins made on the scams thread is worth reading.

viewtopic.php?p=595031#p595031

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Simon, none of the range of Leafs provide enough mileage for me, I'd need a second car to do my fairly regular trip to Cirencester which is a round trip of about 125 miles.

I've been looking at Nissan Note diesels instead, so I know the Visia, Acenta and Teckna specs, Teckna is, or would be best for me if I were to indulge. :) and I just might.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

The BMW I3 REX with the range extender scooter motor might do it for you Gibbo, but it can't be considered to be a contender in a bargain basement electric thread, High milage 15 reg £12,500, still overpriced despite dropping like a depreciation stone from its original sale price of nearly £40,000 for the REX model.

Spoted this one today From the same seller Carshop.co.uk according to the numberplate

£6250 for each half!
£6250 for each half!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 09:20 The BMW I3 REX with the range extender scooter motor

Lambretta or Vespa? :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist... I'll get my coat...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

Can't quite decide which thread this belongs on

https://electrek.co/2020/09/15/scotland ... -used-evs/

Scotland’s government will extend the Low Carbon Transport Loan to cover used EVs for the first time, starting on September 28. The extension will now enable an individual or business to obtain a loan of up to £20,000, interest free, over five years.

The loan is being expanded to help people who may otherwise be put off by the purchase price of electric vehicles.
NewcastleFalcon

andy5 wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 23:52 Can't quite decide which thread this belongs on

https://electrek.co/2020/09/15/scotland ... -used-evs/

Scotland’s government will extend the Low Carbon Transport Loan to cover used EVs for the first time, starting on September 28. The extension will now enable an individual or business to obtain a loan of up to £20,000, interest free, over five years.

The loan is being expanded to help people who may otherwise be put off by the purchase price of electric vehicles.

Great find Andy and I wasn't aware of that. I think I will start off a new thread to give that and other incentives a thread of their own. Its the type of thing that people who arent switched on to electric vehicles would miss.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

BB Leaf No 1
BB Leaf No 1
BB Leaf No 2
BB Leaf No 2
Walking the dog while charging up came across this which caught my eye. Pretty much the same spec as mine but without the alizarin crimson pearl paint and the shiny ears, and done a few more miles. For us the 24kWh has proved quite workable with the odd inconvenient charging drama more as a result of how we choose to use it in the 20-80% range. Haven't run out of electricity yet :-D.

Our average journey I would say is over 50 miles (return), and its not used for a daily commute, but we still rack up 12,000 to 14,000 miles a year. Currently after 9,000 miles of ownership it is outperforming fuel savings assumptions, which in "the weakest link" style I "bank" on a monthly basis.

I think I was fairly fortunate when I plumped for the Leaf that it happened to be a spec which had a heat pump and a 6.6 kW on-board charger. Simon did a really excellent post on what to look for in a secondhand Leaf here

I reckon that white one would work out just as well in my calculations even at the windcreen price which I'm sure could be negotiated. I am pleased we took the plunge when we did 10 months ago, but if we hadnt we could be just about to embark on EV ownership with something like that white one right now.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Bargain Basement Electric Sales Brochure!
Bargain Basement Electric Sales Brochure!
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Sorry Neil, the marketing department will reject that one, can't see the shiny ears!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

BB Electric's visit to Drift.
Drift...probably the cafe with the best view in Great Britain
Drift...probably the cafe with the best view in Great Britain
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 22:10 BB Electric's visit to Drift.

Regards Neil
Is it a Carlsberg cafe then? :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!