On your Bike

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: On your Bike

Post by CitroJim »

Spotted during yesterday's ride...
Recumbent
Recumbent
A recumbent with a visibility flag...

I've always fancied having a ride of one of these... They can be very fast due to the superior aerodynamics over a standard bike...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Just passed one of those near Consett :)
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

CitroJim wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 13:52 Spotted during yesterday's ride...

I've always fancied having a ride of one of these... They can be very fast due to the superior aerodynamics over a standard bike...
Looks like an escapee from the dodgems to me :!: :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 14:52 Looks like an escapee from the dodgems to me :!: :-D
:rofl2:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Not been much driving in lockdown, but there has been plenty of cycling - I've done about 1400 miles this year, hoping to get to 2k by year end - I haven't ridden that far since I was cycle-commuting in Reading in the late 90's. Quite a few family rides, the boys knocking about on their bikes means a lot of repairs ongoing - including a number of their friends who bring their bikes round saying they're broken!! I mostly ride a mid 80s Claude Butler Super Dalesman, renewed the drive train earlier in the year, then broke a spoke recently, so decided it was time for a new rear tyre. Bought one of these, good reviews for puncture resistance with low rolling resistance, yet decent grip. Not much tread :shock: :lol:
IMG_20200807_203217317.jpg
However whilst refitting the wheel to true it up, I spotted this
IMG_20200811_170059827.jpg
Yes, a hole has developed in one of the chain stays #-o :cry: Looks like the tyre has rubbed the paint off, and wet weather has done the rest...

I went looking for another frame, but couldn't find one the right size, or with rack and guard mounts - and anything with a racing back ground was silly money (£00's for a 40 year old frame!!), then I happened on this Genesis Equilibrium on ebay, which ticked the boxes - slightly more sporty than my current machine, but not out and out racy so good for family rides and a bit of weekend touring.
thumbnail_s-l400.jpg
Down in Wigan, but I had also found Lancaster Engines (recommended by my parents' neighbour who has old bikes) who said they would sleeve the Velocette engine, so I was able to combine a trip down (along with bagging a free meal at my Parents'!) - a 360 mile round trip, probably more than I have driven in total since March! The seat post turns out to be stuck, but the PO was the same size of me, and it fits perfectly - sometimes you win!) I took it out for a ride, and very nice it is too (crap pic, sweaty condensation on the phone lens I expect!!)
IMG_20200824_192938946.jpg
Did show that something was amiss in the chain department, so I ordered up a new one; on inspection it well stretched, and it was missing the rollers where the quick link was - which will explain the clunking under load!! So Sunday was bike day...
IMG_20200830_113447991_HDR.jpg
:rofl2: we've got a few!! New chain on the Genesis, new spoke in the old Claud Butler (I will keep riding it through the winter if the rear wheel will hold up, 3 spokes gone so far...) to get the life out of the new bits on it), and then general lubrication and fettling on the others.

Oh, and that tyre, seems to be OK, I rode it in the damp the other day, and not even a twitch, takes a bit of faith to ride it hard into wet corners on a slick though [-o<
Richard W
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I'm sure you biking boys will enjoy this from my favourite engineering genius:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 21:45Bought one of these, good reviews for puncture resistance with low rolling resistance, yet decent grip. Not much tread :shock: :lol:

Richard, I can recommend those tyres, they are indeed good. I was riding them when I crashed but that was incidental and in no way related to the tyres :)

RichardW wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 21:45
However whilst refitting the wheel to true it up, I spotted this

I'm shocked :o First time I've ever seen a rust hole in a bike!!! Shattered carbon frames yes, and bent ally frames but to see a rusty one really is a first for me!
RichardW wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 21:45
I like that :-D

Shocked anyone could so badly maintain a bike that rollers go missing from the chain! You may need to check your chainrings and cassette for wear too after using such a badly worn chain!
Jim

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Just in case you missed the earlier video here is another stunner from the Millyard stable:

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Watched both of Micks videos. I know very little about the "bike Industry" but if all those innovations are his original work why do derailleurs still exist :?: and why do swinging arms have two bits to them not just one :?:

er.... and why does he still have a shed and a little garden, rather than entering his abode via large wrought iron gates and a mile long gravel drive with a stone bridge and ornamental lakes?

Is this a case of a brilliant shed inventor who makes stuff unable to translate it into revolutionising the bike industry?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Reading through the comments from his watchers, and taking into account Allen's own opinion, it would seem the reason that derailleurs are still in use is to do with manufacturing profit. No manufacturer is happy to sell a perfect product which will have hardly any maintenance and need no spare parts. Thus Allen's design if adopted would decimate the parts part of the business which is apparently a huge proportion of the profit generation. It sounds similar to the concept of the oil companies buying up ideas for non oil cars in the past etc.

As to why he doesn't live in a grand house my guess would be modesty!! He is a very nice chap, we chatted with him at Sandown when he was showing his Flying Millyard and he is as down to earth as the milkman but blessed with extraordinary insight and skills. You need to see some of his other motorcycle builds to fully appreciate his astounding abilities!! Many of them are on YouTube on his channel. eg The Viper

The one thing he seems to lack is ambition as far as money making is concerned. His life aim appears to be to prove to himself that he can make whatever his mind dreams up!! :-D
Last edited by mickthemaverick on 04 Sep 2020, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

mickthemaverick wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 09:31
The one thing he seems to lack is ambition as far as money making is concerned. His life aim appears to be to prove to himself that he can make whatever his mind dreams up!! :-D

Basically, he's a much safer version of Colin Furze :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

A nice socially distanced small peloton :D
The BCG Tuesday Crew
The BCG Tuesday Crew
I was bringing up the rear and caught my fellow riders on my video camera... We look neat and tidy...

I normally ride at the back as I have the rearview radar on my bike and give out warnings of vehicles approaching us...
Jim

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Nice little group picture there Jim, not looking so promising over the next couple of days for rides....
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

CitroJim wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 13:52 Spotted during yesterday's ride...

I got overtaken by one of these on a long downhill, then I overtook it on the uphill and didn't see it again.

I was on a Brompton...
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

amsauctions.co.uk frequently have large numbers of bikes and bike bits in their sales if anyone's still looking.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.