C4II Stock radio panel change

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Andelai
My Cars: Citroen C4 II

C4II Stock radio panel change

Post by Andelai »

Hello everyone,
For a while I've been thinking about changing my stock radio and screen in my C4 II. All I got to know is that I can't simply put some 2din but I rather have to buy some of those Chinese android things. But there's a thing, I was told that I can't do that in a version with stock navigation. While many places at aliexpress show it's fine, one local redistributor claims it won't fit the stock navi version because of some issue with cables. I'm desperately trying to find someone who knows some stuff about it.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: C4II Stock radio panel change

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and :welc: to the Forum.

The problem you will encounter is that the radio and screen are highly integrated within the electronics of the car. Replacing them will impact a lot of the other systems. It can probably be done, but it is a LOT of work.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Andelai wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 19:54 Hello everyone,
For a while I've been thinking about changing my stock radio and screen in my C4 II. All I got to know is that I can't simply put some 2din but I rather have to buy some of those Chinese android things. But there's a thing, I was told that I can't do that in a version with stock navigation. While many places at aliexpress show it's fine, one local redistributor claims it won't fit the stock navi version because of some issue with cables. I'm desperately trying to find someone who knows some stuff about it.
Pop your VIN up for me so I can see exactly what kit you have fitted already.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Andelai

Post by Andelai »

I sent it in a PM.

And regarding the topic - I simply don't understand what is the difference in cables and stuff with navi and no navi version.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so you already have the RT6, full colour screen, Sat Nav, Bluetooth Audio and phone - so I'm not really sure what you are wanting.

The factory fitted system is already one of the better ones they used.

We don't support those Android aftermarket systems here - only most of the stock systems. The current system is designed to work with the other equipment fitted on the vehicle (Parking Assistance, Climate, some vehicle configuration / functions and the systems are CAN enabled to talk to each other. If you start pulling things about you do risk your other options failing to work.

Marc
Andelai

Post by Andelai »

My main reason is music. This car seems to have good audio, but stock radios in even really expensive cars lack proper equalizers (which I never understood) and really don't get all out of the music files. The other thing is I really hate using phone holders but at the same time I find google navigation the best because it shows stuff in real time (jams, roadworks, accidents etc.) I can find a mean to update my stock navigation but I probably won't use it anyway. If stock was able to run android auto from the phone and display it on the screen I wouldn't probably even bother with anything but from what I know C4 II didn't have it. I also want to install subwoofer because as good as the sound is it doesn't have too much power to it and I am not sure if I can do it with stock.

I probably won't do anything but trying to install sub. It seems I want stuff that is too high-tech for what I can afford right now. Maybe after few years if I switch my car I will get what I wish for.

Also, I'd like to thank for help and advice and that it was so quick. I've been waiting a month without a response on local forums. If I ever have some issue with my car I know where to look for help now :-D
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The members of the Forum do try to help where (and when) we can. The main reason the Forum was set up was to help those members with problems. Yes, it has the atmosphere of an English country pub, we will (on occasion) take the mickey out of each other, but the moment somebody says "Help!" members with the right knowledge will offer their advice.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 18 Aug 2020, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Andelai wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 04:00 My main reason is music. This car seems to have good audio, but stock radios in even really expensive cars lack proper equalizers (which I never understood) and really don't get all out of the music files. The other thing is I really hate using phone holders but at the same time I find google navigation the best because it shows stuff in real time (jams, roadworks, accidents etc.) I can find a mean to update my stock navigation but I probably won't use it anyway. If stock was able to run android auto from the phone and display it on the screen I wouldn't probably even bother with anything but from what I know C4 II didn't have it. I also want to install subwoofer because as good as the sound is it doesn't have too much power to it and I am not sure if I can do it with stock.

I probably won't do anything but trying to install sub. It seems I want stuff that is too high-tech for what I can afford right now. Maybe after few years if I switch my car I will get what I wish for.

Also, I'd like to thank for help and advice and that it was so quick. I've been waiting a month without a response on local forums. If I ever have some issue with my car I know where to look for help now :-D
You're better off leaving it to be honest - as if you cripple the car, selling it on is going to difficult as people expect to have everything it had at the factory.

I can tell you that even the models with the HiFi equaliser option have not received many rave reviews, so going to all the trouble of wiring in a subwoofer alone may be overkill.

The RT6 is already supposed to have Arkamys too.

Marc
Andelai

Post by Andelai »

I guess you are right. Messing with car whether it's outside or inside makes it hard to sell it later. And these chinese radios are not even that cheap and may not change a thing. I can spend this money in a much better way. And to be honest, the more I think of it, the more I appreciate the audio in this car.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

:-D I think you’ve convinced yourself!

Put it this way most people I know wouldn’t touch a car that has been modified like that. I’ve also seen some poor reviews of those Joying Android units playing up after 6 months.

I think you are making the right choice. Just make sure you have the LOUDNESS setting on and play about with the music equaliser / adjustments, maybe you just need a few tweaks to those.

Marc
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

One possibility is to add DSP-amplifier such as Match M5DSP between eMyWay and loudspeakers. It´s really easy install and your system looks and feels still stock, only sound is much better. You can also connect a passive subwoofer directly to it, and the dsp is really good with very good tuning possibilities. If bluetooth audio streaming with eMyWay is ok, this would be good choice. And then you could upgrade loudspeakers, and put some damping on doors and so on and so on... :mrgreen:

Personally I have no regrets over changing MyWay to Joying 10" unit, but C5 X7 is relatively easy regarding to changing headunit to aftermarket one, because stock radios aren´t that heavily integrated to car´s other systems.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I dont know your specific system well but I know in the past cars with built in satnav & audio amplifiers were a bit of a nightmare when it came to installing handsfree kits they usually needed a specific adaptor or sometimes it wasn't possible & required an external speaker, you always needed to check for these things before ordering the harness.
One piece of valuable advice I will chip in is if you do decide to give it a try is do not butcher any of the cars original wiring whatsoever. Instead get a fully populated quadlock lead like the one below & make an adaptor harness to suit it, that way if it doesent work or you need to go back to original it will just slot straight back in & it wont look like a car crash behind the radio.
Attachments
Quadlock.jpg
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

I made adaptor-cable for Match M5DSP using one of those extension cables. I just had to cut speaker cables on that adaptor and join the output from MyWay to Match M5DSP input and output to speakers to Match M5DSP output. Easy soldering job to join 2x8 cables.