C5 front caliper

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

trapa57
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 07 C5 2.2 hdi estate
99 Xantia 2.0 hdi Exclusive hatch

Gone: 2 Xantia hdi estates, Peugeot 309, plus more.....

C5 front caliper

Post by trapa57 »

Hi all,

I intended to replace the front brake pads on my 2007 C5 today bit have hit a snag. I can’t seem to get the o/s piston to rewind and it looks and feels like it is about to wind out completely if I wind it anti-clockwise. I don’t think it is a genuine Citroen caliper as it looks a lot newer than the n/s one. Any thoughts/suggestions would be most welcome.
Just to clarify I am using a ‘cube’ on a 1/2 drive ratchet and if I turn the piston clockwise it does not move in or out but if I start to turn it anti-clockwise it starts to pull out of the rubber seal.....
Is it possible that after market callipers would wind the opposite direction to Citroen?

Thanks

Paul
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 front caliper

Post by GiveMeABreak »

For Citroen Calipers on the C5 MK II the front calipers are wound differently for the left and right hand sides.

Turn the right hand brake caliper piston anti-clockwise using the wind back tool.
Turn the left hand brake caliper piston clockwise using the wind back tool.

I can't help you with aftermarket calipers - if these are what have been fitted, but they should comply with the manufacturer's original specifications.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Estately
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 00 Xantia 2.0 HDI 90 bhp Estate 237k Gone to New Home
07 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive Estate 211k. Gearbox selector failed.
10 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Auto Exclusive Estate. Px'd
13 C5 2.0 HDI 160 Manual Exclusive Tourer.

Post by Estately »

Hi Paul,
Just a suggestion, as you turn the piston apply inward pressure as you begin to turn per Marc's advice. Heavy not neoprene gloves recommend at this stage of the operation for protection of the pinkies. Can't remember if I managed to apply some leverage, it was a while ago.
It feels counter intuitive and you will feel/notice the piston moving in with just a part turn, it sounds as though the piston is uncomfortably further out of the calliper than you would want.
It is an awkward manoeuvre so good luck.
Andy.
If it can happen it will.
Estately
(Donor 2022)

Post by Estately »

Sorry forgot to say, you didn't mention if you were intending to change the discs as well. Our Xantia discs seemed to last forever but the C5 ones get down close to minimum thickness with each set of pads.
Andy.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

If you look closely at the underside of the calliper on C5’s there is normally an arrow to show you the direction to wind the piston, its not always instantly noticeable as it is usually caked in brake dust & dirt. You can just about see it in the pic below.
Wind back cubes are handy & great when the piston is nice & free but they dont put any inward pressure on the piston as they turn. You can buy a half decent (fine for the odd diy job anyway) wind back tool kit with both left & right hand thread tools for under £20.
Attachments
57D60D85-916D-4141-9370-17AE2EBEF693.jpeg
trapa57
(Donor 2020)

Post by trapa57 »

Thanks for the responses, I may well purchase a wind back kit as I struggle to apply pressure, use the 1/2" ratchet, rub my stomach and pat my head at the same time... What do you think about loosening the bleed nipple to release pressure, or any similar ideas?

Paul
Estately
(Donor 2022)

Post by Estately »

The arrow picture and comment is worth it's weight in gold and takes all the uncertainty out of the operation once you know about it - where else but on the FCF. The wind back kit also keeps the piston straight.
On the subject of slacking the bleed nipple.
There are comments on the forum to the effect that winding the piston back can introduce less than perfect quality brake fluid back into the anti lock braking system, you takes your pick. Maybe a fluid change before the pad change, the reservoir can be left a little low until finished to prevent overspill.
Andy.
trapa57
(Donor 2020)

Post by trapa57 »

Thanks Andy, I have cleaned up the underside of the caliper and I can see what looks like ancient hierogylphics, but not a clear arrow. I have some previous form, by the way, as I have owned Xantias for the past 20 years but have never had this much hassle with brakes. I have seen the arrows before and I suspect the Xantia calipers have been OE fitments so given the circumstances I am tempted to get a new caliper if I can't sort this by the end of today as I/we need use of the car.

Paul
trapa57
(Donor 2020)

Post by trapa57 »

Caliper now sorted. Prompted by a discussion with a neighbour I removed the caliper, held it firmly in the bench vice and FINALLY persuaded the piston to wind in. It was clockwise thread so something to watch for if any of you have a non OE front caliper.

Paul