Citroen C5 X7 Suspension Failure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sword1st
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0HDI 163hp

Citroen C5 X7 Suspension Failure

Post by sword1st »

Hey. I have 2011 2.0HDI citroen c5. My problem was the car couldn't go to the highest suspension level. I bring the car to local service. They made it lower with lexia and drain some fluid. After that suspension engine stopped working. They told me 'you have to change suspension engine' and i left that service with low speed. I showed it to another service and they fix the motor with changing 40A fuse located here :

Car didn't rise up but we can hear the suspension engine was working. Then they changed rear hight sensor (not a new sensor it's used) and car rised without any problem. I take the car home but suspension engine stopped working again. Second service told me it could be fuse again but why it's blowing ? I can't trust any service because they really don't know what to do even authorized ones. Suspension engine too expensive but i ordered 2 new hight sensors to be sure. Should i try with new ones ?

(Sorry for my english)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen C5 X7 Suspension Failure

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi and welcome.

So your problem is likely to be LDS fluid from the suspension tank has over flowed (either because of spillage or over flowing when filling the tank). LDS fluid runs down under the tank and onto the suspension pump motor. The fluid then gets into the motor from the join in the centre of the casing. When the fluid gets in, it mixes with the material from the motor windings and this forms a black sludge. This then creates a heat build up / short circuit which blows the fuse. This is the likely reason why when you replace the fuse it is blowing again almost straight away.

So your first garage was likely to be right when they said you need a new Suspension motor. Make sure you get the right one as they can be different depending on saloon, estate, engine etc.

Have a look at this post (with pictures) of how to remove and clean it if you want to try and see if you can fix it that way:

viewtopic.php?p=581404#p581404
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
sword1st
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0HDI 163hp

Post by sword1st »

Thanks for your reply!

So this motor is gone even if it's working with new fuse right ? Is there any way to clean suspension pump motor from that oil ? I didn't know that leaked LDS can cause that much trouble. Authorized service filled up soo much it was leaking for months before i go first local service. If i buy a new suspension motor it can happen again with spilling LDS i guess. Thanks again for all info it was really enlightening.

Oh i just see edited post - THANKS again
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So, the suspension fluid should not need filling at all really - only in case of repair work to the struts, spheres, or power steering rack, where you may lose some fluid when depressurising the system.

Normally it just needs checking, but never over fill it. The fluid level is checked on the LOWEST suspension setting on level ground and the fluid should be between the A and B shown below:
LDD MK III.PNG
Also, very important and another reason for leaks - whenever you are having tyres changed or any work where the car will be raised up with the wheels hanging loose, always raise the suspension to the highest setting, and remove the LDS cap off the suspension tank. Then when the work is done, the car can be lowered to the ground, the suspension lowered back to normal and the cap replaced.

If you don't do this, the weight of the wheels hanging pulls fluid through the system, then when the car is returned to the ground the LDS fluid can be forced back uncontrolled under the weight of the car crashing back down. This can force the fluid back to the tank very quickly and under high pressure and can split the tank or cause it to overflow.....

That's why we have some labels we designed to warn owners and their mechanics who may not know:

viewtopic.php?t=62058
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc