Citroen C5 2.0HDI 2016BlueHDI 150 Engine Repair light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tony42
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0HDI VTR+ Technopack 150 Blue Tourer 2016
Citroen C4 1.6HDI VTR 2013

Re: Citroen C5 2.0HDI 2016BlueHDI 150 Engine Repair light

Post by tony42 »

:clap: Your a saint Marc , at the time I had ran in and looked at a few youtube videos and got no pointers. Further update Oil not changed spoke to independent Citroen dealer who don't have up to date diagnostics. Suggested main dealer. I was out driving at the time and the fault light had returned hence I sort of gave up the ghost.

I got a eureka moment rethinking what Marc had said about the Euro6 and the fact this is an old engine basically with the new emissions crap bolted on. He mentioned something about the new fix's then possibly causing unintended consequences. I thought about that and even though I hadn't changed the oil today I wondered if I reset the service interval and clear codes would that do the trick. For the moment that seems to have done the trick. Car is running fine no fault lights. I drove it out onto the motorway and headed down to Wicklow and then came back all between 2-3k revs. Will change the oil/filter tomorrow. It has only done 9k since oil change but my intention was to do max of 10-12k before changing anyway.

My educated bodger guess on this is as follows: Engine oil appears fine it is not smelling of diesel and the level is normal. Assuming harnesses and connectors are fine I think the issue is down to my driving pattern which I am guessing is not long enough for proper regens. As per Marcs suggestions I am thinking that the ECU parameters are set to fire a warning if X amount of incomplete Regens have occurred over a period of time. I was able to clear the fault for approx 10 days but that was after going for a good run down the motorway. I then reverted to my covid limited commute times and I am again guessing that brought the parameter back down to the fault stage.

The alternative problems of the listed ones from the fault code are Engine oil,Electrical harnesses,Connectors,Particle filter differential pressure sensor and additive pump pump. Not sure if there is a way of testing the pump? Will check out how long the Urea/Adblue should last and my hope is over the next couple of thousand miles it calls for more additive as that I think would rule that out.
The particle filter differential pressure sensor again I do not know if that is possible to test. Don't know how to do it either but will search it out. Maybe fingers crossed it is not mad expensive and if so would change it out as a precaution. Ruling out the oil as I don't think there is any sensor indicating oil viscosity is shot and visual inspection shows its fine (will confirm when I change it out).

Fingers crossed this is sorted and it is just an issue with parameters in the ECU. I will report back how things go over the next few weeks. (again hoping that I will not be back tomorrow with egg on my face reporting the light is back on :oops: )
tony42
(Donor 2020)

Post by tony42 »

Belated reporting but was waiting to see what if anything would occur since I cleared the fault. Good news is no re-occurence and the Adblue warning came on last Friday. Usual message 2.4k before engine will not start. Fingers crossed I got 10L of Adblue and it took it all. So no problem with adblue pump which was one of the suggestions on the fault code. I can never be 100% certain but my guess on the ECU algorithm identifying regens not completing and if met fire up a warning that the oil is contaminated is a good educated guess. I would be interested to hear if anybody else comes across this problem.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Nicely done Tony.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
palcipd
My Cars: peugeot boxer 2019 hdi 2.0

Post by palcipd »

can you help me i have same problem P119F. i have boxer 2019 hdi i will change oil and filter but i have same error P119F, i make 2000km with new oil. have you same idea what it wrong ?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Make sure you are using the correct oil for the engine that meets PSA standards - modern engines (especially 2017 onwards) have to meet much higher emissions standards, so the engines have to do 'more with less' and this often means having different oils for these newer engines.

The fault code was explained in my earlier post on the other page:

viewtopic.php?p=644639#p644639

Marc
palcipd

Post by palcipd »

i used oil total, exactly according to the lubrication plan, can you tell me what connector have i check ?, which sensor measures oil quality?
tony42
(Donor 2020)

Post by tony42 »

palcipd wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 20:11 can you help me i have same problem P119F. i have boxer 2019 hdi i will change oil and filter but i have same error P119F, i make 2000km with new oil. have you same idea what it wrong ?
Do you have the stop/start system? I had the issue above. It resurfaced again recently after approx 5K miles of driving. I think it is an algorithm in the ECU identifying a number of incomplete regens or some measurements not being met. I don't believe it has anything to do with the state of the oil ( impossible as I don't think there is any sensor that detects oil in poor condition). This is a guess on my part. The system throws up this fault when a number of parameters are met.
I reset oil change service indicator and the fault disappears (No oil change). With my driving style/situation I expect this will keep popping up every 5k or so. I would like to think that Citroen/Peugeot pick up this issue and deal with it with an update to the ECU.

Again I am guessing but expect if one drives the car/van harder with higher revs this problem will not show up. I think it is crazy that this regen system does not flag up when it is engaged as I would be inclined to keep driving till a regen had completed if I knew it was in progress. Hope this makes sense to you.
palcipd

Post by palcipd »

when I reset the service interval, I do 1000 km on the car for old oil, when I change the oil and filters about 2000 km. I use bosh kts to diagnose, and it will write me a P119F error that I have water in the oil, but that's stupid because the oil would be like "cocoa".
Last edited by palcipd on 11 Apr 2021, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
tony42
(Donor 2020)

Post by tony42 »

palcipd wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 09:29 this is a work car 2000 km in 2 weeks, I'm afraid to reset only the oil so that the engine does not abrade, I think that the regeneration will start and not finish it and the oil flows slowly into the oil and it is diluted slowly.
I didn't come to that conclusion. It is possible I have some sort of fuel sensor issue but no real evidence of this as the car runs perfectly. Oil is not contaminated and the fault if being picked up by a sensor would come straight back on if the fault remained.
One of the suggestions above about a corroded connection to the fuel pump is a possibility given this car was on UK salted roads for 3 years but again surely the fault would remain regardless of resetting the Oil change interval?

Just another bit of detail. I got a regen warning about two months ago advising of potential particle filter blocking due to incomplete regens. The usual solution of driving hard and ensuring regens occur and this cleared.

Please let me know how you get on if you leave it in for inspection?
palcipd

Post by palcipd »

when I reset the service interval, I do 1000 km on the car for old oil, when I change the oil and filters about 2000 km. I use bosh kts to diagnose, and it will write me a P119F error that I have water in the oil, but that's stupid because the oil would be like "cocoa".
tony42
(Donor 2020)

Post by tony42 »

palcipd wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 10:09 when I reset the service interval, I do 1000 km on the car for old oil, when I change the oil and filters about 2000 km. I use bosh kts to diagnose, and it will write me a P119F error that I have water in the oil, but that's stupid because the oil would be like "cocoa".
cocoa. Exactly!

What mileage is on your van?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The later C4 Picasso / SpaceTourer had this issue and the required service action was an oil change and an update to the engine management software.

But - you shouldn't need to be doing anything about this as your car should be under warranty being a 2019! Take it back to the dealer to sort out. You should have a 100k mile (160k KMs) warranty.

Marc
tony42
(Donor 2020)

Post by tony42 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 10:17 The later C4 Picasso / SpaceTourer had this issue and the required service action was an oil change and an update to the engine management software.

But - you shouldn't need to be doing anything about this as your car should be under warranty being a 2019! Take it back to the dealer to sort out. You should have a 100k mile (160k KMs) warranty.
Excellent thanks again Marc! my guess was correct :-D In my case the car is 4 years old so assume any update will cost at the dealer? It is comforting to know it is not a 'real' problem.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There have been a few technical bulletins released regarding this fault - so it can depend on the vehicle, but more specifically, the engine ECU fitted. Also, once they are aware of the issue the updates may already be applied at factory or the dealer as part of routine maintenance when they check for technical bulletins when the car is booked in. It depends on the build date of the vehicle as to whether the update is applicable or not of course.

If the fault is of concern enough, they will issue an 'after sales campaign' (not necessarily a recall) so that it is flagged up at service - so may be done without the customer even being aware of it. After Sales campaigns are free to the customer - regardless of age Tony - but there has to be one rolled out for the exact vehicle for that to be flagged. As of today, there is no alert coming up against your VIN for any outstanding campaigns. :)

Marc
tony42
(Donor 2020)

Post by tony42 »

:-D After 30yrs of driving Citroens it doesn't surprise me that the end of line model updated with the new Stop/start engine would be ignored in any campaign!
I don't use a main dealer but it would seem I would have to ask them to update it. Vive La France!