About the SC-MAC sphere.

Contains the Activa Register, Buyers Guide and Activa "finds" on eBay and elsewhere. Post Activa-specific items that do not fall naturally into the Citroen Forum.

Moderator: RichardW

cenk yuksel

About the SC-MAC sphere.

Post by cenk yuksel »

Hi all,
I have a bouncy ride for a while at the rear and obviously the rear suspension spheres are flat, it will be changed next week. I order two Febi 22496 400Ml 30 Bar spheres -which only i can find in a hurry-. As i read previous topics about spheres, it will not a big problem, right?

By the way, all the other spheres will be check and in need/if it's not dead, regassed. By the way, i have two spheres borrowed from my friend, one Citroën gray suspension sphere-not saucer- which i'm not sure i read it's number, because it's stamped right over the chevrons (96087642 maybe?). I guess i don't need it because i've already buy new susp. spheres; but i wonder what for is it, like for BX or XM?
20200726_185816.jpg

...and an IFHS XM 50 AR (25-06-02, i know, a little(!) old)... But; in need of changing the one who is installed, can i use this? On the catalog of IFHS, the Xantia version is named XA 50 AR; is there any difference? I ask that, because normally i can't find Citroën spheres easily, finding Activa spheres is even harder. I'll order all the spheres i need from EU area -I'm in Istanbul, Turkey- and that's mean that I get it probably after 3 weeks -Waiting for a little drop of the exchange rate is another problem-. I won't harm the suspension or the frame of my Activa; but i had it to use daily.
20200726_185723.jpg
Ps: There's a problem with placing the picture inline. I tried to place it under the paragraph's, but on preview, there's just a broken image logo...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Re: About the SC-MAC sphere.

Post by xantia_v6 »

Regarding the attached images, the problem was that you had placed the attachments inline and then added [img] tags around them. You should only do one or the other, images added using the attachment feature do not need [img] tags.

BTW, you don't seem to mention the SC-MAC sphere in your post text?
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

I will have another go tomorrow to identify your 96087642 sphere.
So far, I've not managed to find that ref no listed for CX, BX, XM or Xantia.
Those 96..... numbers are manufacturing numbers, not part numbers.
A pretty much complete list of them appears in all the Mechanics' Handbooks.
So far no joy.

The XM-50-AR is easier. XM rear (arrière) 50bar pressure.
Will check out its damping figure.
XA-50-AR is the equivalent Xantia rear sphere, BUT the damping figure may be different.
The partial detail about these spheres on IFHS and other sites is not helpful.
Only Citroen publish the full spec: eg 400/30/0.8 (cc/bar/mm damping).
Chris
cenk yuksel

Post by cenk yuksel »

xantia_v6 wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 19:45 Regarding the attached images, the problem was that you had placed the attachments inline and then added [img] tags around them. You should only do one or the other, images added using the attachment feature do not need [img] tags.

BTW, you don't seem to mention the SC-MAC sphere in your post text?
Oh; sorry, i used that [img] a.inline [img] type attaching in another forum for years, when i saw the option bar over the text box, i thought it's the same way. Thanks for info.

I mentioned, but it's obviously a very wrong way too #-o What was I mean was, can i use the XM 50 RU sphere as a replacement for the SC-MAC sphere that already installed on my car? I don't know yet it's condition of course, maybe it need just regassing, but i try to find out an alternative solution if the installed one is dead, even if it's a temporary one; to save time until new sphere(s) arrive.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

The SC-MAC sphere (on Xantia and XM) is special. It has an internal thread fitting that the pipe screws into. You must disconnect the pipe from behind the sphere before removing the sphere, or you will damage the pipe. So, no, you cannot use any other sphere in this position.
cenk yuksel

Post by cenk yuksel »

white exec wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 22:43 I will have another go tomorrow to identify your 96087642 sphere.
So far, I've not managed to find that ref no listed for CX, BX, XM or Xantia.
Those 96..... numbers are manufacturing numbers, not part numbers.
A pretty much complete list of them appears in all the Mechanics' Handbooks.
So far no joy.

The XM-50-AR is easier. XM rear (arrière) 50bar pressure.
Will check out its damping figure.
XA-50-AR is the equivalent Xantia rear sphere, BUT the damping figure may be different.
The partial detail about these spheres on IFHS and other sites is not helpful.
Only Citroen publish the full spec: eg 400/30/0.8 (cc/bar/mm damping).
Thanks Chris; i didn't know that these 96... numbers was manufacturing numbers. I looked at the net before asking in the forum, but nothing :) I thought that's the part number because of this:
http://citroen.tramontana.co.hu/en/susp ... nt-spheres

On that list there, the Citroën numbers comes same to me -just separated- and go quickly to the part number idea :-D

I've been searching and reading for about 6 months, FCF, Activa Club, Tramontana, Pagesperso, Xantia007 etc. I've learn a lot every day -and have to learn a million things more-, but my main problem is; it's all in theory. I haven't a garage or even a tiny pit to get under the car and that drives me crazy. All i can do for her is cleaning the rear left sill and making a sill hole hub, rebuilding the gear knob which it's inner plastic part fell apart -still in progress, i finished a real wood and epoxy resin one, but didn't like it-, changing the hatch suspensions...

When I bought her at the end of January, my plan was fixing and/or renew all the Activa and Hydractive parts until summer and then finding/fixing the rusty parts, repair/renew it's leather and so on... Plans, sweet plans :))))

I guess it's time to made a wooden ramp :-D
cenk yuksel

Post by cenk yuksel »

xantia_v6 wrote: 31 Jul 2020, 01:09 The SC-MAC sphere (on Xantia and XM) is special. It has an internal thread fitting that the pipe screws into. You must disconnect the pipe from behind the sphere before removing the sphere, or you will damage the pipe. So, no, you cannot use any other sphere in this position.
Yes, i watched a few video and read a lot about it. Just don't know the type of the thread; i've only know the suspension sphere and the regulator sphere-the XM 50 AR- and just hoped that it's the same thread :-D

I will tell about the pipe to the mechanic, because he hadn't seen any Activa until the last Friday, he don't know anything about the SC CAR. So, lots of photos and translated explanations printed, videos ready on browser or saved to the mobile; he'll get a quick brief before :-D
Attachments
20200730_221136.jpg
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

Sorry, but no joy in finding anything about that 96087642 sphere - apart from a few Ebay items, which are a bit vague about it, and don't (of course) give any good detail (such as damping figure).

The Mechanics' booklet from 2001 covers Xantia, XM, Synergie.
Includes the full spec (cc/pressure/damping) for every sphere on those cars.
The booklets are here:
viewtopic.php?p=590278#p590278
Go to Xantia S2, and hit the '2001' to download the pdf.

Note the note that says that the 96.... numbers there are manufacturing numbers, not Cit part numbers.

Note also that for late Xantia, some of the spheres became the newer "saucer" type. Your car will have had some of these ex-factory. The volume of these spheres was reduced slightly from the original round ones, eg 400cc became 385cc. However, the pressure and damping figures remained the same, so far as I know.

All spheres on the car have the same large external thread.
The SC/MAC ('anti-sink') spheres does as well, but this thread uniquely carries a large nut, which secures the sphere to its bracket.
The SC/MAC sphere, as Mike says above, is special - no damper, but the large hole is threaded for the 3.5mm steel pipe to connect to it. The thread is the same as other 3.5mm pipe unions. Essential to undo this pipe before undoing the sphere, or the pipe can be damaged if the sphere is rotated.

All spheres contain dampers, except these: (-- = no damper)
- Main accumulator sphere (400/62/--) or saucer (385/62/--)
- Centre hydractive spheres, front and rear (for these, the dampers are in the centre sphere mounts - the hydractive regulators)
- SC/MAC 'anti-sink' sphere.

Main Accumulator and centre Hydractive spheres are interchangeable for testing purposes, as both contain no damper. Gas pressure may not be correct, though. An SC/MAC (anti-sink) sphere can also be used the the Acc and centre Hydractive positions, for testing.

For d.i.y. sphere re-gassing, see the Tecnosir site:
https://www.tecnosirstore.com/en_GB
and the C720 tool, and the Valprex 2000-9mm sphere valves.
The tool can also be used to check sphere pressures (there is a simple procedure for this).
Note: Saucer spheres cannot easily be re-gassed.

One UK supplier of IFHS spheres is AEP, in Glasgow.
Their on-line catalogue is quite easy to navigate...
http://www.aepdirect.com/citroen-xantia ... ry_id=121#
Like many aftermarket suppliers, they don't list the damping figure, so you have to take this on trust.
AEP have a good reputation, though.
Chris
cenk yuksel

Post by cenk yuksel »

white exec wrote: 31 Jul 2020, 07:52 The Mechanics' booklet from 2001 covers Xantia, XM, Synergie.
Includes the full spec (cc/pressure/damping) for every sphere on those cars.
The booklets are here:
viewtopic.php?p=590278#p590278
Go to Xantia S2, and hit the '2001' to download the pdf.
It seems that I'm not authorised to read this forum :)
white exec wrote: 31 Jul 2020, 07:52 Note also that for late Xantia, some of the spheres became the newer "saucer" type. Your car will have had some of these ex-factory.
Probably she had the "saucer" type spheres when new, because it's ORGA number refers to 20.03.2000; I've read here and there that after February 2000, they applied the "saucer"s to to the Activa's. But in a moment of its lifetime, one of the previous owners turned it into green spheres. I was unable to found any history of the car, the previous owner said that there wasn't any paper in the car when he buy it from the customs in 2013. Mostly they get lost in our customs. The VIN decoder websites wasn't helpful either.
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

You're right - the new type spheres found their way on to some positions on Xantia at this time.
Perfectly ok to fit the classic round ones instead, if replacements are needed.

A small donation will give you access to that section of the Forum. It will also allow us to post Parts information and diagrams from PSA's ServiceBox for this year and next...
A response to your question by a forum admin will require detailed vehicle information that requires you to have made a current contribution to the Forum.
Donate

Further Information
Chris
cenk yuksel

Post by cenk yuksel »

Is there a way without the Paypal? Debit/credit card-Visa/Mastercard- maybe? Because of our very(?) lovely(!) government, Paypal has closed his Turkey operations. Or I have to ask my friend of London -which is in Turkey for parent visiting-. I had ordered the Diode Mod Kit from e-crofting over his Paypal account, but i don't like to asking for ever about that money things from my friends, so i'll happy if it's there a credit card option.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

We'll be in touch regarding this.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc