Citroen C4

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chd923
My Cars: Citroen C4 1.6 petrol

Citroen C4

Post by chd923 »

Hi, I recently bought a Citroen C4 1.6 petrol and I’m having a problem when slowing down at traffic lights, approaching a junction, roundabout or going around corners, the car’s engine cuts out, it’s usually when I drive it in the morning or when I haven’t driven it for a day or so, when the car has been running for a while I don’t seem to have any problem.

I’ve changed the spark plugs and throttle body has been done not really sure what else to do, does anybody have any advice?

Thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen C4

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Replacing parts on a whim is costly and won't necessarily fix the issue - as you've seen. You really need to get it on a Lexia and get a diagnostic done. If it's a sensor problem then there's a fuelling, air or sensor problem, then there should be a fault code.

If I were to mention these possibilities:- Engine fuse box, supermarket fuel, clogged fuel filter, crank sensor - you'll get the picture - it could be anything.

Get a diagnostic done first and put up any codes you get here, which may help the diagnosis.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
chd923

Post by chd923 »

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is it’s been plugged in and it hasn’t come up with any codes.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Did you use a Diagbox system or a generic code reader? The generic systems don't work well on PSA vehicles (sometimes they don't work at all).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
chd923

Post by chd923 »

I’m not too sure to be honest, a mechanic done it, where would I take it to make sure they are using the correct system? Thanks
Steve Walsh
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Aircross 2021 VR7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Kawasaki ZR1100 1994
C4 Hatchback
Yamaha XVS650A 2001

Post by Steve Walsh »

Any Citroen dealer should have the kit to do it but it all depends on the person operating it, There may be a member on here with the kit in your area that may help. There is a list somewhere but can't remember how to find it.
I am sure someone will be on soon with the info you need

Steve
Thanx to Marc and all the admins & knowledgeable people that make this the best forum on the interweb. =D> =D> =D>
chd923

Post by chd923 »

Thank you Steve
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

It sounds fuelling related rather than ignition or airflow. But there's no fuel filter, so it won't be that, and it won't be supermarket fuel. My best guesses would be dodgy in-tank fuel lift pump or blocked fuel tank breather vent. Is the problem better, worse or the same with a brimmed full tank of fuel?
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

^ That 's not absolutely correct. It depends on which model of 1.6 he has. There are C4 Petrol models like the 1.6 THP and others that have a fuel filter - it's just not in the engine compartment, but usually visible just by the fuel gauge pump under the rear seat...

Item 3
fuel filter 2.PNG
fuel filter.PNG
@ chd923: pop your VIN up and I'll see exactly what engine you have.

As for supermarket fuels - at the end of the day you get what you pay for. If you run your car on the cheapest bog standard supermarket fuel - it will be comparable to non premium branded fuels and I mean like for like! This of course does not include premium fuels that cost more, like the Shell V-Power and Gulf Premium.

Although fuel may come from the same refineries whether destined for supermarkets or other forecourts, it's what goes into the branded fuels separately that makes the difference. These have additives, octane improvers and fuel cleaners added that can improve engine performance and help keep the injection system running smoothly. So depends on each individual's budget and preference.

Running some premium fuels can negate the need for using expensive injection system cleaners periodically, as the cleaners are already included in many the premium branded fuels.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 23:25 As for supermarket fuels - at the end of the day you get what you pay for. If you run your car on the cheapest bog standard supermarket fuel - it will be comparable to non premium branded fuels and I mean like for like! This of course does not include premium fuels that cost more, like the Shell V-Power and Gulf Premium.

Although fuel may come from the same refineries whether destined for supermarkets or other forecourts, it's what goes into the branded fuels separately that makes the difference. These have additives, octane improvers and fuel cleaners added that can improve engine performance and help keep the injection system running smoothly. So depends on each individual's budget and preference.

Running some premium fuels can negate the need for using expensive injection system cleaners periodically, as the cleaners are already included in many the premium branded fuels.
I believe the same thing about Bifidius Digestivum in yoghurt.
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
chd923

Post by chd923 »

411514 wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 22:01 It sounds fuelling related rather than ignition or airflow. But there's no fuel filter, so it won't be that, and it won't be supermarket fuel. My best guesses would be dodgy in-tank fuel lift pump or blocked fuel tank breather vent. Is the problem better, worse or the same with a brimmed full tank of fuel?

It makes no difference if the fuel is running low or the tank is full, only difference is it seems to be a lot better when the cars got going a bit