New C5 hdi owner with queries

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tastysombrero
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 1.6HDIVTR+ estate (current)
2003 Citroen Saxo VTS
2003 Citroen Saxo VTR
1985 BMW 628CSI

New C5 hdi owner with queries

Post by Tastysombrero »

Hello all,

New to the forum but not new to french cars - I've had a 2015 clio (yawn) as well as 4 Saxos including my current VTS.
I have recently bought a 2009 Citroen C5 1.6Hdi VTR+ to haul my dogs around in and have some questions.

1) Whenever I turn the ignition on the display tells me i'm in economy mode, which I've read is linked to a poor battery. As well as this, my passenger side climate control won't change temperature, and is constantly stuck on 23.5 degrees. All the other passenger functions work (air direction, auto etc) and the drivers side is completely fine. Would these be linked or is the climate control unit itself faulty? I've done a BCI reset and still can't change the passenger temperature.

2) it feels really sluggish. I'm not expecting a race car, but I did a 0-60 run and it took over 21 seconds. Is this normal? The engine runs fine, no odd noises, smoke or warning lights, but it doesn't ever really feel like the turbo kicks in. Does this sound like a vacuum leak or something more serious?

3) Being the biggest car I've ever had i'd like to retrofit rear parking sensors as the cutouts are already there for them. What parts do I need (sensors themselves, loom and rear parking ECU, anything else?) and what part numbers do I need?

Sorry about the bombardment of questions but I'm fairly new to cars from this millenium :lol:

Thanks, Ryan
McLaughlin15
My Cars: Citroen c5 vts+, citroen c2 vts, Renault megane 225, citroen zx

Re: New C5 hdi owner with queries

Post by McLaughlin15 »

Economy mode is when the engine is off and it gives a certain amount of time before it turns the radio off, you could get an hour or it could be less and my car doesnt have rear sensors but I wouldn't bother trying to get all the proper stuff because you will need loads of stuff, I ended up getting reversing sensor kit, just sound and nothing on the screen and im fine with that.
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Welcome to the forum,

What previous history do you have for the vehicle?

As I aware various problems resulting from a poor service record, have a search of the forum to see some of the issues.

Other members will be along who more about the 1.6 HDi than I do.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Tastysombrero
2003 Citroen Saxo VTS
2003 Citroen Saxo VTR
1985 BMW 628CSI

Post by Tastysombrero »

Its got a full service history with it in terms of servicing so its been looked after but that doesn't really explain whats happening with it now. Im aware of what the economy mode is, I'm just unsure whether it could be linked to the climate control situation.

I know it would probably be cheaper to just buy ebay sensor kit but i'd like to do it properly if possible, with the screen display etc.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Have a look at my post here ----> viewtopic.php?p=576809#top regarding the climate control knob to see if it's the same as yours. My fix was to fit a good condition used one :roll:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Tastysombrero wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 15:42 Its got a full service history with it in terms of servicing so its been looked after but that doesn't really explain whats happening with it now. Im aware of what the economy mode is, I'm just unsure whether it could be linked to the climate control situation.

I know it would probably be cheaper to just buy ebay sensor kit but i'd like to do it properly if possible, with the screen display etc.
It is very likely to be the climate control panel if the temperature display is stuck.

Parking assistance: If you are thinking about retro-fitting an OEM system to the rear, you will need to ensure the right harness is fitted, will need the correct ECU, the sensors and of course it will need the correct parameters programming in the BSI using Diagbox.

As for part info, we can provide current live data and diagrams for you from Citroen, but they now charge us for this info. We therefore ask for a small donation that will cover you for up to 2 years - details below:
A response to your question by a forum admin will require detailed vehicle information that requires you to have made a current contribution to the Forum.
Donate

Further Information
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Tastysombrero
2003 Citroen Saxo VTS
2003 Citroen Saxo VTR
1985 BMW 628CSI

Post by Tastysombrero »

Thanks for all the replies guys - the parking sensors are the lowest priority at present so i'll take the appropriate steps when the time comes.

Ive just put my code reader on the car and it came back with 2 codes:
-P1351 IDM input circuit malfunction/ignition coil circuit high voltage
-P0299 turbocharger underboost

When I go to work later i'll see if either come back on (bearing I had no dash lights or faults). Im guessing the underboost fault explains the sluggish acceleration. Luckily it is still under warranty so it'll be going back to the garage for the climate control and the turbo/power issues.
Are there any common issues that would cause underboost?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You can ignore your P1351 for now - they all come up with that - it's the Relay supplied and glow plugs not supplied issue. I think just about everyone here has that one, but won't be anything to do with your power, or lack of it issue.

P0299:Turbocharger pressure signal: Pressure too low in relation to the reference value. Difference negative for 5 seconds, between the turbo pressure reference and the measured turbo pressure. The pressure measured is lower than the reference, around 300 mbars for an engine speed above 2500 rpm.

Downgrade Modes:

Use of the flow calculated, Cutting of the EGR butterfly (turbo air cooler), EGR valve and bypass butterfly (inlet air heater) in all operating modes, Cutting of cruise control, Change to "easy move" torque invalid (Deactivation of automatic mode for the electronic parking brake).

Symptoms: Lack of power, Noise, Smoke from the exhaust.

Suspect Areas:
  • Air meter restricted
  • Clogged air filter
  • Obstacle obstructing the air passage
  • Air lock between compressor and engine
  • Turbocharging pressure sensor
  • Turbocharger position copy sensor
  • Vacuum problem
  • Variable geometry of the turbocharger jammed in the "minimum turbo" position
  • Faulty turbocharger

Marc
Tastysombrero
2003 Citroen Saxo VTS
2003 Citroen Saxo VTR
1985 BMW 628CSI

Post by Tastysombrero »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 18:07 You can ignore your P1351 for now - they all come up with that - it's the Relay supplied and glow plugs not supplied issue. I think just about everyone here has that one, but won't be anything to do with your power, or lack of it issue.

P0299:Turbocharger pressure signal: Pressure too low in relation to the reference value. Difference negative for 5 seconds, between the turbo pressure reference and the measured turbo pressure. The pressure measured is lower than the reference, around 300 mbars for an engine speed above 2500 rpm.

Downgrade Modes:

Use of the flow calculated, Cutting of the EGR butterfly (turbo air cooler), EGR valve and bypass butterfly (inlet air heater) in all operating modes, Cutting of cruise control, Change to "easy move" torque invalid (Deactivation of automatic mode for the electronic parking brake).

Symptoms: Lack of power, Noise, Smoke from the exhaust.

Suspect Areas:
  • Air meter restricted
  • Clogged air filter
  • Obstacle obstructing the air passage
  • Air lock between compressor and engine
  • Turbocharging pressure sensor
  • Turbocharger position copy sensor
  • Vacuum problem
  • Variable geometry of the turbocharger jammed in the "minimum turbo" position
  • Faulty turbocharger
Thats brilliant thank you. Ill take it back to the dealer along with this information and hopefully they will be able to resolve it easy enough. No wonder it's so slow when its basically running without a turbo. Hopefully my mpg will improve too - dash shows good mpg but it seems to be using fuel faster than id expect, presumably because im having to floor it everywhere to get to the speed limit within a minute 😂
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, with this fault in effect, the key bit is the "Cutting of the EGR butterfly (turbo air cooler), EGR valve and bypass butterfly (inlet air heater) in all operating modes". Let us know how you get on.

Marc