thudding noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

axe
My Cars: 2002 xsara picasso 2.0 hdi

thudding noise

Post by axe »

hi
thanks for letting me join.
i have a 2002 xsara picasso 2.0 hdi and when i drive it has started to make a thudding noise like a flat tyre.
all tyre pressures are fine put the front end on stands and started engine and put in gear.
noise was still there.
with the wheel spinning i stopped the n/s wheeel no difference but stops when the o/s wheel stops.
taken the o/s wheel off and noise has stopped completely.
the hub rotates freely with no noise or play.
could this be something has silly as the wheel becoming unbalanced?
thanks
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Re: thudding noise

Post by moizeau »

Brake disc? Did you check it with the wheel off and engine running in gear? You've already done this method but be sure to chock wheels and use axle stands.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Are there any polished bits on the suspension strut or other parts that a bulge on the tyre could be rubbing against and have you had a good feel around the tyre sidewalls for bulges?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

switch the front wheels left to right, if the thudding noise is now on the left, you've found your culprit.

Also, if the hub's spinning with no wheel on it, and you're intending stopping it, probably using the Brakes, have at least two wheel bolts in it, nipped up loosely
(elsewise you'll likely damage the screws that hold the Disc to the Hub, coz they can't withstand the braking force on their own)
Puxa
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

Hi They do seem wheel/tyre fussy.
Check tyre for carcass damage also turn it round by hand and check things like flat spots!
Had one from breakers as needed a tyre came on alloy rim but has a sort of flat spot and tyres going like porous there!
Sounded awful when driving could feel the bump bump yet don't look much at all when look at it.
Does yours have the spring check plate add on? it bolts round strut and cups base of spring to stop prodding tyre if breaks! that can drop or if tyres gone out of round rub
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

oscar wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 20:10 Does yours have the spring check plate add on? it bolts round strut and cups base of spring to stop prodding tyre if breaks!
Thats what its meant to do anyway, the force of the spring breaking just forces them off a lot of the time.