AM6 ATF change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stu-Scotland
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2010 C5 Exclusive V6
2012 C1

AM6 ATF change

Post by Stu-Scotland »

Hi all.

I've been reading the threads regarding ATF fluid change on the AM6 and obviously getting the level right is critical.
My question is, since it's a sealed system and in my case has no leaks why can I not simply drain the fluid and replace it with the same volume (or weight since that may be more accurate).

Surely if I remove 3 litres / kilos and replace with 3 litres / kilos I'll have the same amount of fluid as impurities are likely to be no more than a couple of percent of the weight / volume.

Thoughts?

P.s. anyone around Glasgow / West coast with a Lexia who would be willing to do a counter reset?

Thanks,
Stu.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: AM6 ATF change

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Having a torque converter it has to be checked with engine running and at the right temperature until you get to the drip, drip stage as not all the oil can be drained out. About 4 of the 7 litres in the AM6 remains in the torque converter, so ultimately, several oil changes over a period of a few months is the only way to get as near a full oil change as you can. It may require several 'top up' and check operations until you get to the dripping stage so be sure it has the correct quantity in there.

With a manual box, the exact amount of oil extracted has to be replaced (unless there has been a leak, in which case the whole gearbox would need to be fully drained and replaced with the specified quantity).
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Stu-Scotland
(Donor 2020)
2012 C1

Post by Stu-Scotland »

Aye, I understand that only around 3 of the 7-ish litres will drain. Was just asking why it can't be replaced by volume, i.e. 3 litres out followed by 3 litres in.
The overall volume should still be correct.
An added bonus if done this way would be that having the car 100% level would no longer be critical.
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

The level plug is inside the drain plug, so you're there anyway. Is your question related to not being able to get the car level, or not having the diagbox to confirm the oil temperature?
Before you start, buy the o ring and and compression washer for underneath AND and new level plug screw, mine ate it's torx fitting on just the 2nd change. The top torx bolt is FT, use a breaker bar.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
Stu-Scotland
(Donor 2020)
2012 C1

Post by Stu-Scotland »

Both :-) No diagbox and a sloping driveway. I can get the car level by leaving the rear wheels on the slope and having the ramps on the flat bit at the bottom but this is far dodgier than I'd like for crawling under the car and the drive slopes a bit side to side as well.

I undid the filler torx plug to check it was moving before even attempting anything else and have a nice selection of o-rings.
I'll do a first change tomorrow and see what it does. Then follow it up with a proper couple of changes over the next month or two assuming nothing goes bang.
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

Got a mate with a flat drive? Don't take this as gospel and I'm not advising it, but apparently the gearbox oil tracks at about 10 degrees less than the coolant.....dodgy though, knowing how sensitive these boxes are to oil and changes. An IR temp sensor might get you close, but you'll need Diag anyway to reset the counter. There is a list on here somewhere that gives member's contacts who have Diag, or if you've got a spare laptop, for the sake 100 squid, if you're likely to be keeping the car, look at getting Diagbox, it'll pay for itself in 2 hookups. If you do go down that route, ask advise first before buying as there are cheap versions out there that don't cut it.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
Stu-Scotland
(Donor 2020)
2012 C1

Post by Stu-Scotland »

Yes, I've spotted some of the clones on alibaba but wouldn't know how far to trust them. Some may be good but obviously no way of knowing without buying and it's a bit late then.
I spotted the list and there is someone within 20 miles of me so might get in contact. Probably wait til after the second change though unless I get a lexia first.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If you are intending to get a Lexia/Diagbox then it is worth a look at EasyDiagnostics.
While the forum has no affiliation with them, many members have bought from them and been pleased with the service and the kit.

There is also a small discount for members.
Read here for how to obtain the discount.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Easydiagnostics is located at Livingston so not all that far from Glasgow, half an hour or so I think.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Stu-Scotland
(Donor 2020)
2012 C1

Post by Stu-Scotland »

I'll probably need to go down the lexia route sooner or later as I want to start looking at suspension at some point too but funds don't really allow for that at the moment.
I did do my quick and dirty 3 out 3 in ATF change on Sunday and it has smoothed out my slight judder and slip in the box so will do a proper one next month now that I know bad fluid was the root of the gearbox issue I was having.
Thanks for all the advice. I WILL do things the proper way next time.

Stu.