208 Access to Fuse Box

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DSB1500
My Cars: DS3 (2017) Prestige BlueHDI 120

Formerly '17 Fiat Panda Easy 1.2, '05 Fiat Panda Dynamic 1.2, '05 Vauxhall Corsa Active 1.0

208 Access to Fuse Box

Post by DSB1500 »

Hi guys, my mums 208 1.0 is not blowing cold air through the air conditioning feature. The blower speeds work fine, hot and 'ambient' cold but no ice cold like before.

I was going to check the fuse, F29 but accessing it is very difficult and impossible through the hatch. What do I need to screw off to get in here and is it an involved job?

Ps. Any general things you advise to check with the AC I'm happy to hear. I changed the cabin filter about two months ago, doubt that could be causing no icy air though?
DS3 Prestige BlueHDI [120]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: 208 Access to Fuse Box

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The A/C gas may need re-charging.

If it's too low on gas the compressor will switch off. To check, have the car idling and switch the A/C off, then open the bonnet and whilst watching / listening, get somebody to switch the A/C on. You should hear or see the the compressor clutch engage and the engine cooling fan kick in. If neither happens, then a lack of gas may be the issue. If the fan and clutch are kicking in, then you may just be low on gas if it is not as cold as it should be.

I don't think it will be the air mixer as you said you care getting some cool air and the hot, so more likely to be gas. Also, if the A/C system isn't operated at least once a month the seals can start to perish. If you do have a leak somewhere then moisture can get in and that is bad for an A/C system. Stone chips on the condenser radiator are a prime suspect for leaks.

May be worth getting one of those A/C services where they can test it for you.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
DSB1500
My Cars: DS3 (2017) Prestige BlueHDI 120

Formerly '17 Fiat Panda Easy 1.2, '05 Fiat Panda Dynamic 1.2, '05 Vauxhall Corsa Active 1.0

Post by DSB1500 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 19:38 The A/C gas may need re-charging.

If it's too low on gas the compressor will switch off. To check, have the car idling and switch the A/C off, then open the bonnet and whilst watching / listening, get somebody to switch the A/C on. You should hear or see the the compressor clutch engage and the engine cooling fan kick in. If neither happens, then a lack of gas may be the issue. If the fan and clutch are kicking in, then you may just be low on gas if it is not as cold as it should be.

I don't think it will be the air mixer as you said you care getting some cool air and the hot, so more likely to be gas. Also, if the A/C system isn't operated at least once a month the seals can start to perish. If you do have a leak somewhere then moisture can get in and that is bad for an A/C system. Stone chips on the condenser radiator are a prime suspect for leaks.

May be worth getting one of those A/C services where they can test it for you.
Hey, I'll give this a go. Thanks. I usually hate taking our cars to mechanics, but with something like the A/C, I presume it can't be recharged at home?

In this case, is it important that it's a Peugeot dealer or can any mechanic / car workshop do this just as well? Thanks
DS3 Prestige BlueHDI [120]
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would suggest you take it to a proper mechanic, and not somewhere like Halfords. If the mechanic know what they are doing they will follow the full procedure (Halfords usually just add extra refrigerant), which basically evacuates the gas/lubricant from the system, holds a vacuum on the a/c system for a while (to check for some leaks (this doesn't find all types of leaks)), adds in new lubricant, refrigerant (and, possibly, U/V dye which helps for future leak searches) to the correct quantities for the vehicle in question (which can depend on various vehicle specific parts) as well as a few other things. Although he is not in your area DickieG (forum member) fully understands what needs to be done, and (if you PM him) may explain (although he has not been 'active' on the forum for a while).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There are quite a few places that do air conditioning services or simple top ups. It depends on what you want.

A full service will vacuum everything out, disinfect the system and the replace with the correct oil and gas quantities. This is a bit more time consuming of course - but they have a machine that automates the process. A top up will just recharge the gas according to the A/C system and capacity fitted to your vehicle (so it is important that you know this before hand so you can check they are getting it right).

Kwik fit are quite good - as again it's the machine that does it all while you wait.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc