I've just bought another car

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Even nostalgia is not what it used to be! Nice looking car, used to borrow dads back in the seventies, great along the lanes.
Stewart
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard Gallagher</i>

Oh well at least shes not speaking to me now so I can enjoy the silence. Don't tell her, but it took me three days to build up the courage to tell her that I'd bought it!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Similar thing happened when I bought the BX - one unhappy bunny, who also got the mother in law on side to have a grumble.
I keep telling her once its on the road she will love it. Funny how she does not seem to believe it will one day be roadworthy!
I was thinking the same as David regarding the x-plies. Bin them and get some radials you will be glad you did. I cant remember what I ran on my 1300, I do know they were cheap and cheery ones as I had little money at the time.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Beautiful car, well done! I can smell the interior now. I've owned 3 in the past, an 1100, a 1300 VP and a 1300 GT, all 3 together never came close to the quality of yours. Enjoy!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Nice one!! Its a good example of how much bigger cars have got- in its day it was a mid sized car and its market competitor was the Mk1 Cortina.
I always thought, and still do, that hydrolastic, and later, hydragas, gave a more comfortable ride than Citroens hydopneumatic, its only disadvantage being the lack of self levelling ability. No need to buy any special fluids, either- antifreeze does the job!!
Now you just have to get used to being a bus driver and listening to that transmission whine!!
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

You're right about the bus driver seat position and transmission whine.
One thing you immediately notice when you get in the car is how light and airy it is due to the thin roof pillars. I can see where I'm going and doing a shoulder check doesn't just look at the headrest or 'B' pillar. (Anyone who has had the misfortune to drive that pile of poo called a Saab 9-5 Aero will know exactly what I mean).
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

My Dad's first car afer he got married was a black 1100 (first vechicle was a FORD[:I] 100E van!). Kept it for about 6 or 7 years. Engine out 3 times - knocking noise thought to be little end, turned out to be dizzy drive shaft, which then needed replacing every 2 years after that, layshaft bearing in the gearbox, and finally full engine rebuild at about 80k. Rear subframe was replaced when I was about 18months old - I am told that he had left all the tools lying about, and I was found going at the car with the hammer - "Like Daddy"[:o)]. Pity I was hammering the bodywork and not the subframe[8)]. Started my DIY apprenticeship early[:p]
My Grandad had a Riley Kestrel version, which ended up lying in his drive, and my Mum told him to do something with it, so he scrapped it. AAAARRGGGHH[|)]. I wasn't old enough (14 maybe?) to say I would have it (oh and we lived 300 miles away at the time).
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">layshaft bearing in the gearbox<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes, the BL gears in sump engines are very susceptible to this- the first sign is a sort of occasional metallic clicking and hissing from the box, and it can happen no matter how scrupulous you are about oil changes...........grrrrrrr.
I think at that time oil technology just wasn't up to the job, and I have twice had to have Allegro 4 speed boxes out for this!!!