I've just bought another car

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

I've just bought another car

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Well it didn't last long, how long can 2 cars be enough for one man?
So I've bought myself an ADO.16, and a very, very, nice one it is too, having won loads of awards[:D][:D]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

1300 or 1100? What badge? Do you <i>really </i>like welding that much?[:o)]
Just got rid of a box full of NOS parts for these!
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Morris 1100 MK2, shame about the parts.
The car is in mint condition, holds the award for best MK2 in show at last years 1100 annual show.
The odd thing about the 1100 as a car is that my Dad bought one new in 1963 from a firm called 'Pheasant Hill Garage'. Which is now known as Broards of Chalfont, where I bought my Berlingo from.
Now where are those AF spanners??
Points, what the bloody hell are they?
Jon

Post by Jon »

Good work Richard. Pheasant Hill was a BL Dealership up until 1987 when it became Citroen, it still traded as Pheasant Hill for some time before Colin Broad renamed it. My familly have had several cars from there, and I used to work there many years ago.
Can you post some pictures of the 1100? They must be getting quite rare even although they were Britain's best seller for some years. I've always found them an interesting study.
Great design.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

My first motor was an Austin 1300 (VTC 263H).
Oh the fun I had with that and an arc welder. Loved the ride and the ribon speedometer.
Enjoy (while the sun shines!)
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Posting pictures? Ohh err, look at ebay listing number 4542595018
Now I've got to try and keep it as clean as these pictures, it really is as good if not better than it looks.
Still if my fish and chips get cold I can warm them up and eat them off the engine!!
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Oh what a wheeze those crossply tyres were on the A1, why is the car steering left, now right? Blasted lorrys wearing grooves in the road.
Oh and I'm now an expert at double de clutching into 1st gear. Synchromesh on all gears, now thats one of those modern ideas, they'll be doing away with grease nipples soon.
Jon

Post by Jon »

That looks absolutely immaculate, and is indeed a rare find. Congratulations.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Nice car in <font color="limegreen"> MINT </font id="limegreen"> condition ! [:D]
Looks great. Well done !
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Hope you dont mind Richard - takn the liberty to link a photo.
Its in lovely condition. I have to admit if it wasnt for the rusty rear subframe I would have kept mine a lot longer. It had the alcohol filled hydra suspension and rode wonderfully (aparently they sold well in Africa beacuse of this reason - able to cope with the dirt track roads).
Its got a ribbon speedo too!
Oh how i remember the viynl (sic) seats on hot summer days.... jumpers for goalposts etc etc (goes off rabling about spangles etc)
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Thanks for the comments chaps and well done Marty, I will have to have a go at improving my computing skills.
Yes it is a trip down memory lane for many reasons, the major one being that when my Dad bought his one I was 3 years old and can remember the drive home in it (my earliest memory). It was the same colour as this one too, Connaught Green.
Now I've got to convince the other half as to why I've bought it, how much, where is it going to be stored, where is the Xantia going to go, the holiday needs paying for .........Oh well at least shes not speaking to me now so I can enjoy the silence. I've left it parked in the garage at work until the dust settles down.
Don't tell her, but it took me three days to build up the courage to tell her that I'd bought it!
Boys and their toys, it brought about quite a commotion at work as lost youth was recalled. Some of them had 1100's as their first cars and a couple mentioned about the comfort of the back seat for some reason??
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Well you could have tested it on the back roads and called in!
Looks great, I'm pretty sure I've seen it a few times in Whittlesey parked near my bank... can't be many in that colour/condition.
Until I linked to the EBay page I was going to offer you the genunine workshop manual I keep (just in case I get asked to repair one)... but I see you got the same one with it.
Funny about the tyres. First thing I thought of when I looked at the images was "he'll want some radials soon". Looks a candidate for some preserved Goodyear G800's. Also I think Dunlop still make the SP Sport for classic cars, that would be about right.
David
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

David, I would have done but I was trying to get back before it rained, not that I made it though, at least it gives me a reason to start cleaning around the engine bay.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

This is the Dunlop I was thinking of...
http://www.vintagetyres.com/vts/display ... &m=7&dc=89
David
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Interesting the way EBay feeds those early memories.
Yesterday a pair of hi-fi speakers arrived I'd bought on EBay, Goodmans from about 1970 with 15" bass units and cabinets not far off the size of a washing machine.
I enjoyed music from early teens and these same type of speakers were at home in our living room when I was a kid, as soon as I saw them listed I had to buy... for old times sake.
And same here with the good lady. I never mentioned they'd been bought and she arrived home from a busy Friday at work to find much of the dining room floorspace occupied by these monsters! As soon as we'd had tea she went out round next door for the rest of the evening and grumbled about me!
They don't understand do they.
David