C5 radio stuck at booting

This unit is the eMyWay system, also referred to as RT6, RNEG2, or WIPNAV+ for the Peugeot platform and made by Magneti Marelli.
Main Features: The eMyWay colour satellite navigation has high resolution mapping, Bluetooth Telephone & Audio Streaming supported profiles, USB support for Media files & CD

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

KokoNaut
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer

C5 radio stuck at booting

Post by KokoNaut »

Hello all,

Radio on my C5 is not turning on. It starts booting, citroen logo is shown but nothing more happens it's stuck there.

I've tried unplugging the battery, didn't help. Also tried holding the CD eject button for 30 seconds. Radio rebooted but then again only citroen logo is shown and nothing more happens. It seems like the radio is stuck at booting sequence.

It's 2012 C5 Tourer. I think that updating the firmware could help but I don't know how to do it. If you can point me somewhere or you know how to solve this I would really appreciate it. In original service they said that the radio has to be replaced but I think they just want to make some money.

Here is the VIN code if that can help VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff].
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 25 May 2020, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to the Telematics RT6 Forum
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 radio stuck at booting

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It won't be the firmware, most likely the internal SD card is on the way out.

There's a post here about a possible fix:

viewtopic.php?t=63227
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
KokoNaut

Post by KokoNaut »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 25 May 2020, 18:56 It won't be the firmware, most likely the internal SD card is on the way out.

There's a post here about a possible fix:

viewtopic.php?t=63227
Hi Marc, thanks for your reply. You said it won't be the firmware but the thread you pointed me to is talking about putting new SD card in a installing new firmware :) So I'm kinda confused right now.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, because the procedure involves replacing the internal SD card and you need the firmware to reinstall the operating system and create the correct partitions onto the new blank SD card. There is no Hard Drive on the RT6 system, it uses flash memory.

NAND memory cells on SD cards have an expected life of around 10 years. So it is possible (depending on use of course and operating conditions) for these to last longer or shorter. Unfortunately we can't tell what the exact issue is, but some who have replaced the card and reinstalled the firmware have resolved their issues and for others it has not, often meaning the fault is likely with one of the EEPROM chips or elsewhere.

At the end of the day, the cost of the SD card is very low against the cost or a repair or replacement which some may choose to try first. You always have your old SD card that you can replace if necessary. It's really down to what you want to try. Repairs are usually in the region of several hundred Euros regardless.

Sometimes these fail after a later map update which is too large and causes problems, so replacing the SD card one of a larger capacity like 16 Gb often solves the map problem.

There is a chap based in Spain who can fix these, upgrade the SD card and maps. Karim at 'Autronics'. See my post here for details:

viewtopic.php?t=60781

Marc
KokoNaut

Post by KokoNaut »

I have another question. If I take the SD card out of the radio put it in computer and I will be able to access all the files on the card. Could I just copy them to the new SD card a try that one? Of couse with all necessary partitions basicaly what I mean is to create exact copy of the previous SD card. Could that work? I'm little bit worried about my BSI settings being restored to defaults.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok so this won’t work because the operating system is different (RTOS) for the RT6 and Windows will add its own hidden files (System Volume Information) and possibly recycle bin. Secondly even if you made a raw sector by sector clone of the SD card using third party software, you could actually copy any faults over to the new SD card.

There is a possibility that if you don’t already have V 2.86 of the firmware installed it may default some configuration parameters to defaults and put the unit into secure mode so you can’t change the settings. This would require either a dealer download from their server using their credentials to unlock it or you would have to use Mirascripts to set the parameters.

What version of firmware is the unit currently on? If it is a lower version than 2.86 you may not have that configuration locking issue.

Marc
Cit fan 151
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2012 C5 Citroen 3.0L HDI

Post by Cit fan 151 »

I have version RNEG2.7.E.3, so is it more likely than not that I would have the configuration locking issue if changing the micro SD card?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

With V2.70 already installed, you shouldn't have any issues going to 2.86 directly, but it is always a possibility.

Marc