EGR flap valve on a 2002 1.9 diesel.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gamble
My Cars: 1.9d 2002 Multispace.

EGR flap valve on a 2002 1.9 diesel.

Post by gamble »

Hi, my does any one have any knowledge about
the EGR unit on my 2002 DW8 engin. Lost power with cloud of smoke.
Mechanic said it was EGR unit valve.
But also read that it can be fixed by disconnecting the vacuum pipe
Can't be that simple.
How does the EGR flap work ?
Any help appreciated.
Gamble.
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 05 May 2020, 11:02, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Moved out of the Announcements Section
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: EGR flap valve on a 2002 1.9 diesel.

Post by wheeler »

Are we talking about the actual EGR valve here or the EGR throttle butterfly flap? Although combined in the same assembly they are 2 separate things.
The EGR valve on a DW8 engine is normally trouble free & any issues can usually be sorted with a clean however the EGR throttle butterfly on the air intake can be troublesome. With the engine off it should rest in the fully open position & if you close it by hand then release it should spring straight back open again, If it is flopping about then the arm is likely detached I would take a dremmel to it if that has happened. If the butterfly closes & stays closed as soon as the engine is started it means the electrovalve is stuck open &giving it vacuum all the time.
306Billy
New User
My Cars: Hdi meridian 306 estate
306 estate 1.9D
308 1.6hdi sw

Post by 306Billy »

Hi I also have a problem with this the inlet flap is open when the ignition is off closes when the engine is running but doesn’t open as the engine revs so have a horrific diesel knock unless you open butterfly by hand, any advice would be very much appreciated
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

When the engine is off & you manually close it by hand does it spring fully back open when you let it go?
If it does just remove the vaccum pipe from the unit & plug the open end of the pipe with a small screw or bolt. It will probably run better without it as the engine will be able to breath properly.