What mic for RNEG2?

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

raqall
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7

What mic for RNEG2?

Post by raqall »

Hello fellas.

I am fitting my Citroen C5 X7 from 2008 with RNEG2/RT6 head unit and dedicated display. My car originally came with RD4 unit. I gathered all the parts needed except for the microphone for audio calls.

I could purchase the dedicated PSA mic that mounts into the headliner assembly, though it is rather expensive (even used one). So the question is:
Will my RNEG2 head unit work well with a regular mic (this one for example)? I would like to mount it on the A pillar (closer to driver's mouth than to passenger's).

Cheers!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: What mic for RNEG2?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi and welcome.

The X7 should already come with the microphone pre-installed in the roof console.

The issue is that the connections from the microphone disappear and the harnesses are different to the head unit. Those who have upgraded their systems tend to run separate wires from the existing original microphone directly to the pin on the quadlock connector at the back of the head unit for this reason.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
raqall

Post by raqall »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 16:53 Hi and welcome.

The X7 should already come with the microphone pre-installed in the roof console.

The issue is that the connections from the microphone disappear and the harnesses are different to the head unit. Those who have upgraded their systems tend to run separate wires from the existing original microphone directly to the pin on the quadlock connector at the back of the head unit for this reason.
Thanks for the immediate reply :)

Interesting. I will disassemble my roof console tomorrow to see if it contains the mic. It is really weird: why would they install the mic there if it is not going to be used anyway? Another weird thing is that there is the "answer call" button on the steering wheel even though RD4 has no such functionality.

But, say my mic is missing somehow, will the one I picked work?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The reason is, because there was an optional hands free box (nomad) that could be ordered as an option to the RD4, and this meant that the box could be fitted and would work. Secondly, a little later, they replaced the RD4 with the RD45 that had bluetooth integrated into it without the need for a separate module. As for the wiring, we think it goes into the headlining and then somewhere behind the dash - but actually tracing the correct wires was very difficult.

I can't be sure now, but I think the wiring at the microphone may go into a ribbon cable??? - and this might complicate the problem with the trace. I'm sure you can confirm that though when you check. :-D

Marc
raqall

Post by raqall »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 17:10 The reason is, because there was an optional hands free box (nomad) that could be ordered as an option to the RD4, and this meant that the box could be fitted and would work. Secondly, a little later, they replaced the RD4 with the RD45 that had bluetooth integrated into it without the need for a separate module. As for the wiring, we think it goes into the headlining and then somewhere behind the dash - but actually tracing the correct wires was very difficult.

I can't be sure now, but I think the wiring at the microphone may go into a ribbon cable??? - and this might complicate the problem with the trace. I'm sure you can confirm that though when you check. :-D
Bad luck :/
There was no mic in the roof console, although you were right about the ribbon cable - the connector sits there happily waiting for a mic to be installed :)
By the way, the roof console is a pain to remove.

So, I guess that my question remains valid: can I use this mic with the RNEG2?

See the photo attached, there is a blind where a mic should be.
Attachments
IMG_4174.jpeg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hmm... very strange as they are listed as standard equipment.

As for what whether that mic will work, it’s anyone’s guess. But I should try and get at least a half decent one that is noise cancelling.

Marc
raqall

Post by raqall »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 22:02 Hmm... very strange as they are listed as standard equipment.

As for what whether that mic will work, it’s anyone’s guess. But I should try and get at least a half decent one that is noise cancelling.
I found a genuine used mic from Peugeot 308 T9 for 45 PLN (around 9£), so I bought it since I already took the roof console apart :D.
Thank you for your time Marc!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, good luck, let us know how you get on.

Marc
raqall

Post by raqall »

I've managed to get the RT6 and its dedicated display up and running, thanks to the guides posted here on the forum (especially the RD4 and RT6 input/output pinouts, using the "harness adapter" I built).

The genuine Peugeot mic I used works perfectly.

Some time ago I replaced the cigarette socket under the radio with power adapter. It has two USB sockets facing outside to the driver's compartment and two extra ones on a extension cable facing "inside" the firewall, so that one is able to power up to 4 devices at a time. I hid those extra two sockets under the radio compartment and hooked up my powered phone holder to one of the ports. Now I utilized the second socket to power a dash-cam. I plan to replace the other cigarette socket (rear) with the one I took out at the front (it is illuminated and also clicks-in a cigarette lighter nicely, though I broke it during removal - have to purchase new one :P).

My roof console now has additional things installed:
  • USB extension cable (plugged into soon-to-be installed dash cam) leading to the area under the radio compartment (described above),
  • FAKRA GPS antenna stuck on to the windshield and contained nicely in the roof console,
  • microphone from 2016 Peugeot 308 installed to its dedicated area with a custom quick-disconnect allowing for easy roof console removal.
Cables are wrapped with Tesa cloth-tape and fished through the headliner, driver's pillar and under the steering column and connected to the radio (mic and GPS antenna) and the area under the radio - power adapter.

The only issue I have: the RT6 head-unit's front panel is black/piano-black whereas the interior of my car is black/dark-gray so they don't color match :? (I bought the radio from C3 Picasso, I haven't noticed the color difference until it clicked into place :().