Reading out the oil dip stick

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

belaprops
(Donor 2020)

High oil Level on C5 2011 TDi 16

Post by belaprops »

Dear fellow Citroen experts.

After buying my C5 I checked the oil level manual. The car shows level ok but after finding other fluids being over max I thought I check oil.
I drove the care a few miles and let it stand for 30 min on a level spot.
The dip stick was at least 5 cm above the crosses and the downwards arrow which I guess is the oil level.

Is there any reason why the level comes so high above the indication on the dip stick.

The engine is running a little rough, meaning more vibrations I would expect from a citroen.
It has done 154k and I see no leaks on the engine.

What is your advice. Do I drain. Do I change the filter. How do I know how much should be in the engine.

I look forward to your advices
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: High oil Level on C5 2011 TDi 16

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If in doubt, change the oil and refill it to the correct level on level ground. Always use the dipstick to check the level. The electronic measurement (where fitted) is a secondary check.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
belaprops
(Donor 2020)

Post by belaprops »

Thanks Marc, where can one find the correct amount to fill up with..In litres.
The handbook I found online says it's a 2011 handbook but seems a different model.
Cheers
Bela
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

If it was ok before & the level has gone up definitely drain oil & replace filter as the oil may be diluted with diesel. Once you have reset to the correct level keep a very close eye on this with at least weekly checks, oil level creeping up on a DPF equipped car can be a sign of a problem with the DPF system or failed regeneration attempts. Incase your not aware high oil level especially on a diesel can go really badly.
If this was my car I would also get it on decent diagnostic equipment and check the regeneration frequency & attempts.
belaprops
(Donor 2020)

Reading out the oil dip stick

Post by belaprops »

Dear all,

I'm trying to get my oil level back where it suppose to by sucking it out the dip stick tube as I can not get to the sump.

I might be a dip stick myself but am I reading the level right. The manual does not show the same type which is used.

I'm presuming the xxxxx <-- is the safe level and the dip stick top needs to be full down and not stopped at the green O ring.

I'm trying to be safe because I already taken 1 ltr out by suction and it's still not on the arrow

Anyone who can give me good advice during garage lockdown

Regards
Bela
Attachments
Dip stick 1
Dip stick 1
Dip stick 2
Dip stick 2
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Re: Reading out the oil dip stick

Post by myglaren »

Try smelling the oil that you remove. If it smells of diesel then there is a real problem with fuel getting into the lubrication system.
With diesels it is potentially fatal.

belaprops
(Donor 2020)

Post by belaprops »

Thanks for the tip.
The engine runs a little rough to my liking so I'm checking all I can myself. More vibration than I'm used to but I have no comparison

You think I got the dip stick read out correct
Regards
Bela
belaprops
(Donor 2020)

Post by belaprops »

Thanks for the advice on the diesel going into the oil.
I have managed to drop the oil one x below the arrow and will keep an eye on it.
Cheers
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Topics merged.