Citroen Berlingo (M59) silhouettes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Injection
My Cars: '06 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Forte

Citroen Berlingo (M59) silhouettes

Post by Injection »

Hi there!

As i have wandered down the road of identifiying my '06 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Forte I dug myself into a hole I can't get out. The body types and different names got me a bit confused so I'm hoping someone who really knows (not only guesses) could clarify some things for me.

What are the three silhouette types below? I mean what does it actually describe? I mean I know what silhouette means, but how does it apply here on Berlingos? I don't really recall that they do really have different silhouettes in its direct meaning so it has to be some sort of way of describing still minor differences in their body types I assume. For example the car I have has a VIN of '08 Berlingo Multispace and according to ServiceBox it is "BERLINGO VP (M59) ESTATE VAN", 5 seats and so on, so is the new body as well. I would have thought that it is a "5 DOORS FAMILY ESTATE" not just an "ESTATE VAN". Where's the logic in it? Could anyone explain it to a dummy?

Private vehicles (VP):
Berlingo (M59):
Silhouette:
5 DOORS FAMILY ESTATE
ESTATE - LEISURE
ESTATE VAN

Besides I know that there's 7 pre- and 7 facelift bodyshells in different combinations. Where do they fit in the silhouette classification?

Here are the different combinations:

While making of this table I wanted to understand what's what so I got it finally sorted out after some browsing in catalogues and comparing the bodies.
"SLIDING SIDE DOOR" and "2 REAR HINGED WINDOW DOORS" seem to be quite understandable to anyone, but "ROOF TRAP" and "MULTIFUNCTION ROOF" got me thinking what are they, along I understood what's "REAR WINDOW" as well. Basically roof trap is an additional door joining the 2 rear hinged window doors in the back of the roof to enable carrying taller materials when opened. Multifunction roof is nowadays better known as Modutop which means extra storage, lights, ventilation etc. under the ceiling and I guess it's the glass roof and roof bars as well in the package. Rear window means that there's just one big rear window in upwards opening rear door.

It looks to me that First, Forte and Desire are option packages names by browsing brochures in Berlingo forums.

Berlingo Multispace appears to have either Forte (mid) or Desire (high) whereas First (base) is just an entry level model.

Dear all knowing French Car Gurus confirm or bin my research please, but be gentle with me, I am not an native English speaker, so my thoughts may not be expressed in its best way possible but hopefully you get the idea.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Re: Citroen Berlingo (M59) silhouettes

Post by admiral51 »

A dealer diagnostic session will give you all the info you are looking for, as posted in your other thread, i have no idea what else you are looking for.
Injection

Post by Injection »

admiral51 wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 19:07 A dealer diagnostic session will give you all the info you are looking for, as posted in your other thread, i have no idea what else you are looking for.
No, I am not searching for solution for my personal Berlingo's problems, the thread's here just to clarify my understanding of M59 bodies, options packages etc. generally.

And I dare to doubt that at least twice swapped BSI would still contain any VIN from 2006. Or were you suggesting anything else by dealer diagnostic session?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

These are designations for the MK I, MK II and MK III:
Berlingo
Berlingo M59
Berlingo B9

Using the B9 (MK III) for this example - you can see the possible options:

So as you can see there is a family car, 2 versions of Utility Vehicle and a Cab version.
Blingo MK III Car.PNG
Blingo MK III Short utility vehicle.PNG
CarShort Utility Vehicle
Blingo MK III Long Utility Vehicle.PNG
Blingo MK III Platform Cab.PNG
Long Utility VehiclePlatform Cab
The Designation VP and VU is simply the French abbreviation for Private Vehicle and Utility Vehicle as in this case:
Berlingo MK III.PNG
I'm not going to go into all the options as I'll be in my grave before I finish - suffice it to say there are combinations of options within these versions depending on what the customer wants.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Injection

Post by Injection »

Thanks for your reply!

I actually am kind of aware of all that but the three silhouettes still stay unanswered. I see that they, those silhouettes apply throughout the whole range of models and I'd like to have it claryfied. I myself have used ServiceBox until it was for free and used SEDRE and DocBackup aswell, so it's no first glance at this kind of materials from me. I do work for a dealer (not PSA) myself and am aware of how one's programs and catalogs work. In this case the unexplained classification bugs me, I'd like to understand it.

By the way M59 VU has 7 silhouettes on its own, I still wonder what are those 3 VP silhouettes IRL.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'm not understanding what it is you want explaining? What 3 VP silhouettes and what do you want to know?

Marc
Injection

Post by Injection »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 00:29 I'm not understanding what it is you want explaining? What 3 VP silhouettes and what do you want to know?
  • Private vehicles (VP):
    • Berlingo (M59):
      • Silhouette:
        • 5 DOORS FAMILY ESTATE
        • ESTATE - LEISURE
        • ESTATE VAN
The ones marked in red are the 3 silhouettes that are offered in VP section. What are the differences? What are their features?

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Those are old designations - no longer used....
Blingo type.PNG
The options now are just for the Van body type.

Marc
Injection

Post by Injection »

But they had to mean something while M59 was produced, otherwise they would have not been found anywhere, right?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

They just referred to the version - like the C4 Picasso - they don't refer to it as the 'Grande Picasso' for the larger version, they just designate it as 'Estate Leisure' over the Family Saloon. The silhouette also determines the engines available and other options like seating for example.

In the case of the Berlingo, the utility vehicle and cab platforms could have different kerb weights and suspension settings over the car version (raised and for rough roads) for example, but there isn't anything that that will tell you exactly what the silhouettes refer to apart from limiting engine choices and other options that I already explained, as like anything, these could be modified or have special versions for the police or for conversion for example.

Marc
Injection

Post by Injection »

Thanks for explaining!

Though it's what I have guessed so far. I was hoping, maybe there's some reference material that would have tables to show what options what type would have and so on, but it seems there really isn't any that anyone would be aware of.