Xantia S1 Electric Window Mechanism Repair

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GordonW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 1991 BX GTi4x4
!989 BX GTI 16V
1990 BX 1.9TRS
1994 Xantia 2.0SX
1998 Xsara

Xantia S1 Electric Window Mechanism Repair

Post by GordonW »

The drivers door window would only go up so far then stop with winding noise, could be pushed up and re-engage for another height before more winding noise. As I suspected the motor drive gear has ground away the plastic drive gear. Having said that, in order to access the drive mechanism meant drilling out the plastic welds and the metal cover plate shaft. All fixable provided I can get a plastic drive gear replacement. Checking on the forum I could see any comment about availability of this part. Your advice please.
Worn plastic drive gear
Worn plastic drive gear
Motor screw drive on left connecting with plastic drive gear
Motor screw drive on left connecting with plastic drive gear
Top cover plate removed from drive mechanism
Top cover plate removed from drive mechanism
Worn plastic drive gear
Worn plastic drive gear
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Xantia S1 Electric Window Mechanism Repair

Post by xantia_v6 »

I doubt that you will find just the gears available anywhere (especially without a part number to search on).

Your best bet is probably to look for a second-hand window mechanism, the motor is probably the same as other PSA models from the same era.

It appears that complete new assemblies are available in France at reasonable cost https://www.mister-auto.com/leve-vitre/citroen/xantia/ but freight would be an issue (not to mention that France is in lock-down).
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

There is This but not sure if they ship as just seen you are in NZ.
Maybe worth having a look at Aussiefrogs ?
GordonW
(Donor 2022)
!989 BX GTI 16V
1990 BX 1.9TRS
1994 Xantia 2.0SX
1998 Xsara

Post by GordonW »

Thanks Mike for your reply. The assembly Leve-Vitre is without the motor and the damaged gear drive is part of the motor. But Alan Sklenars from Hamilton ( who sent me the fuse box ) is sending me a replacement for $100.
Thanks Admiral51 for your suggestion of Eurocar parts. At GBP27.99 seems really good value but enquiring from them whether they send to NZ, it was left off their international country listing.
How the original plastic gear drive got damaged I don't know. What activates the motor to stop at top or bottom? I need to check whether this has failed, and repair it so that I don't stuff the replacement regulator.
GordonW
(Donor 2022)
!989 BX GTI 16V
1990 BX 1.9TRS
1994 Xantia 2.0SX
1998 Xsara

Post by GordonW »

The first replacement window regulator ex wrecked Xantia had the same problem, main drive plastic gear stripped at point when the window comes to a stop. Alan Sklenars sent up a couple of rear window regulars that he'd tested with the windows in place, and I used one of those. Drilled off the cover plate to replace the winding spool, wires and track with my front window parts, tapped the cover plate shaft to accept a hold down bolt and refitted to the car. Works well. Interestingly I had to change the polarity of the supply to the motor to get the same up/down from the switch as for the passenger side front window. Why that is I don't know. And i have some spare parts now in case of failure of the drive gear or the other plastic parts in case the "new regulator" fails in another 26 years.
Whilst doing these repairs I also replaced the seam sealant connecting the roof and C pillar. The old sealant was cracked and very easily came away, simply perished with the UV and age. Repainted, then clear coat it looks like new - pity the rest of the car doesn't.
Then removed the roof lining which had been a cause of annoyance for many years. The backing was likewise perished. Would have been easier to remove the complete backing attached to the roof to glue in the cloth lining but in the end decided to glue the lining in position. Fortunately with spray Ados and marking the centre line, and doing the job in sections I got the lining in place, replaced the side trims and its as good as new!