Citroen c5 x7 electric problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rrijken
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7 tourer 2009

Citroen c5 x7 electric problems

Post by rrijken »

Starting to get fed up and as I am out of ideas, help is very much appreciated.

Have a C5 tourer that had AL4 problems so the other day I swapped out the 2 solenoids. Put it back together and switched on the ignition. First error I get is EPB fault. Switched off the ignition and on again and the error is gone. Took it for a drive and all seemed fixed and all is well for 1 day.

Next day I start it in the morning and put it in drive, drive off but it dies on me. Start it again and put it in reverse to park. No problem. When it died the display said D- instead of D1 as if it could not find the gears.....

Putting it in R is no problem, putting it in D gives me D1 but sometimes just D-, if I put it in N I get an anti roll back fault followed by the EPB fault and the engine dies. Switching the ignition on and off fixes it momentarily.

The other day I took it out for a long drive and I get an EPB error, followed by an ABS error followed by an EPS error followed by an engine management fault. Display says the gear is in - and revs fluctuate, car slowly comes to a halt and then dies. Ignition on and off and I can continue again till the next error comes up. It is very intermittent, sometimes I can take it for long drives, sometimes I cannot and as car is not to be trusted now I am hesitant in using it.

Thought it might by some kind of relay problem so switched out the fusebox, no change. Errors keep popping up. Switched back the old solenoids, no change. Exchanged the brake light sensor for a new one, no change.

Looking at lexia, bsi gives a fault f5ff, other ecus complain about not being able to communicate with either the engine ECU or the gearbox ECU. But again, sometimes they work, sometimes they do not.... Looked at wiring for chafing around the area I worked but all looks fine....

Thinking back I do have to say that when I worked on the transmission I had forgotten to disconnect the negative on the battery...... I have no more ideas. So help please!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen c5 x7 electric problems

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi and welcome.

Did you carry out the procedure to adjust the Internal Selection Control? This is required after any work on this or the hydraulic block....

Recommended Tools
X7 AL4 Tool B.PNG
X7 AL4 Tool.PNG
Internal selection control adjustment screwInternal selection control adjustment shim
X7 AL4 A.PNG
Note: The adjusting is done with the cover (2) of the hydraulic block (4) removed.

Caution: Move the lever (17) to the mechanical stop position towards the rear of the vehicle (In the direction of the arrow)

Hold the lever (17) by means of a plastic locking clip during the adjusting procedure.
  • Slacken the bolt (18).
  • Place the roller "e" of the blade (15) in the notch position 2 of the notched section (16).
  • Remove the bolt (19).
X7 AL4 B.PNG
  • Position the tool [0338-M2] pressing across the length of the blade (15).
  • Replace the bolt (19) with the tool [0338-M1].
  • Push the plate (15) in the direction of the arrow
    and lock the assembly using tool [0338-M1].
  • Tighten the bolt (18) to 0.9 daN.m.
  • Remove the tools [0338-M1], [0338-M2].
  • Refit bolt (19) & tighten to 0.7 daN.m.
CAUTION: Check the operation of the gear selection control in all the positions. The lever must have no overtravel (17) when it is in the mechanical stop position towards the rear (In the direction of the arrow).
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
rrijken
(Donor 2020)

Post by rrijken »

Thanks. Worked off an internet video so did not do this.... If I do not have the right tools, how to adjust?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

These tools are what the dealer would use (and they're not really something the DIYer would necessarily have) - so you'll either need to improvise, try and locate something similar or take it to the dealer to get adjusted. These tools are part of a wider set of an AL4 gearbox toolkit that is about €1400.

Marc
rrijken
(Donor 2020)

Post by rrijken »

Thanks! All these electrical gremlins are also related to the not correct position of that roller blade?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Any work on the hydraulic block may have a knock-on effect down the line and could affect the gear selection, so I would do that first before looking at electrical issues, otherwise you may be looking at unnecessary work.

As you are having intermittent issues with the selection, the gearbox may be going into a backup mode until the issue is resolved. I would at least get the adjustment done first, then you can deal with any remaining issues, as that will rule out something you know you didn't do.

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

In the absence of fault codes from the transmission ECU, I would be inclined to think that the problem lies elsewhere.

If you perform a BSI reset and erase all the faults, which ones come back?

Intermittent loss of communications with ECUs seems to indicate a wiring problem.
rrijken
(Donor 2020)

Post by rrijken »

Thanks all. Will first open the hydraulic bloc again and do as written by givemeabreak. Hoping the errors will go away. Might be logical that is transmission ECU goes in lockdown mode it gives quite a lot of other errors. Away now though and can only do the work coming Sunday if the country (Japan) is not in lockdown.....

The only wirint touched at the time was the plug on top of the transmission and as I suspected wiring problems where I worked, I took it out of the sleeve and inspected all wires.... No broken wires to the eye. Will have to check on continuity if work does not solve my problems.

Thanks all. Will report back.
rrijken
(Donor 2020)

Post by rrijken »

Today I opened the hydraulic bloc again, changed the solenoids yet again, adjusted the internal selection control, checked if it would cycle through the gears as it is supposed to do and closed it up again. Started the car and cycled through the gears. Car would not stall in N anymore and gear selection was without fault. Have not had any faults since but only took it on a short drive. Will use it tomorrow to go into work. For now it does look like the gearbox ecu goes into a standard mode and stops communicating to all other parts which in turn throws all those errors..... Will report in a week's time again.

For now, many thanks for the feedback!
atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

Hi
I'm facing the same problem - I have to replace the two solenoids and I see that the best way to do it is with using the two tools described by GiveMeABreak, which of course I dont have and by judging by the price of it, I would not even consider buying it. what I would like to ask is if somebody have a drawing/sketch of these parts - including measurements, of course, so that I will be able to manufacture them (let my humbly point out that I have the ability to do it.
Avi
rrijken
(Donor 2020)

Post by rrijken »

I used the screw mentioned in above explanation and a washer that is bigger than the hole on the selector lever. Worked no problem and you probably have such a washer around already....
rrijken
(Donor 2020)

Post by rrijken »

Have used the car for a few days now and not experienced any problems anymore. Now can work on the next problem, sometimes at start the car hesitates and does not react to the throttle pedal. Looking into this now and read about problems with the position sensor, the VOD or the MAF sensor. Will start with the MAF sensor guess.

what happens sometimes is that I start the car, put it in D and press the throttle pedal, parking brake is released but revs drop from around 700 to 500, rarely it stalls, but sometimes does. Releasing the throttle and waiting for a bit before trying again usually solves it. At lights sometimes as well that the car really hesitates. Pressing it in further usually makes the car go then..... Here as well, help appreciated!

Robert
rrijken
(Donor 2020)

Post by rrijken »

Have changed the MAP sensor and cleaned the throttle body. It has marginally become better. Anything else that I can change that anybody can think of? Accelerator pedal guess. Is there a way to test the TPS? Help appreciated!

Yesterday I did get an roll back system fault again when I put the car in reverse, so guess the lever is not completely right yet. Only thing done different to make it stall and give the error was that I rushed the gear change instead of slowly going through the gears....